My running sucks now!

DrewB

Today is day 6 and I've read on here how running ability can suffer. Well I just found that out! I tried to do a 15 mile run, I made it 9.2 walking a lot! I'm not a fast runner anyway but I added 1-4 minutes to my miles having to walk or just going really slow. I had no energy. I ate a compliant Lara bar at mile 5 which helped for a little bit but I don't like eating like that while exercising. I've heard Nuun is compliant so I may try that next time. How long does it take for endurance to come back?

Also, this is my second while 30. The first time I wasn't running but I was doing Crossfit. That time my performance increased and I make great gains! What is different?

• Moderators

It may take a couple of weeks, but ultimately your performance will go back to normal and possibly even get better.

Having carbs to up your energy during your runs may actually be counterproductive. Part of what Whole30 does is help you go from carb burning to fat burning (which is sort of a misnomer, it doesn't mean you stop burning carbs, but that your body can use fat more easily). Giving your body more carbs every time you're feeling low energy can slow that process down.

For the first couple of weeks, just accept you're not going to be setting any records. Do what you're comfortable doing, activity wise, even if it's not quite as much as you'd usually do. If you're not feeling better about your workouts in a couple of weeks (or if you start feeling way worse before then), come back, give us some detail on what your meals look like -- what you're eating, portion sizes, what you're doing for pre- and post-workout meals -- and we'll see if there's anything you might want to change to help.

Here's the meal template that gives details on both regular meals and pre- and post-workout recommendations, in case you haven't seen it before.

Hey Drew,

I am also on Day 6 and yesterday I went snowshoeing and noticed the same thing. I am DRAGGING. I'm impressed that you made it 9.2 miles at all! I have never been a huge carb eater, so I wasn't expecting the massive energy decrease and lack of endurance, but I think the big difference is what I am eating to start my day. If I knew I was planning a hard run that day, I would always have some oatmeal with nuts and fruit in it. Now it's eggs eggs and more eggs (and veggies). It's a huge difference to process, energy-wise.

I'm hoping that after Day 14, things will get better!

I find that eggs by themselves do not allow me to make it through to the next meal -- I always need to add some other protein.  I usually do pork or chicken, but taco meat is a lovely change of pace when I have it available.  The added protein is far more satisfying for me; YMMV, of course.

ThyPeace, not that I can do a 15 mile run even if I were eating pasta, bread, and potatoes at every meal!

Hi, I did 15 mile today! I felt a lot better! I ate a banana and sweet potato for breakfast and then another banana pre-run. I took coconut water for during he run. Overall I felt great! The last few miles I was tired but that is normal.

Now for the not normal and slightly alarming thing. After my run I went to the bathroom and peed blood. Not like a little red tinge but it was full on dark brownish red.  That has never happened to me! After googling it for fear I was dying, I found out it's actually a thing that can happen after strenuous excercise. But it's never happened to me before so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Whole30. If anyone has ever experienced this I would love your input.

The energy levels will come back and your runs will improve!! I think I laid off workouts for 2 weeks (i am in outseason so I could afford to) and then had so much energy, I couldnt wait to get a workout in.

I have done 3 full distance Ironmans, 7+ Half Ironmans, few marathons, and other races and I have never peed blood. I would definitely go to the docs and get it checked out. I can't imagine the Whole30 having anything to do with this!

13 hours ago, DrewB said:

Hi, I did 15 mile today! I felt a lot better! I ate a banana and sweet potato for breakfast and then another banana pre-run. I took coconut water for during he run. Overall I felt great! The last few miles I was tired but that is normal.

Now for the not normal and slightly alarming thing. After my run I went to the bathroom and peed blood. Not like a little red tinge but it was full on dark brownish red.  That has never happened to me! After googling it for fear I was dying, I found out it's actually a thing that can happen after strenuous excercise. But it's never happened to me before so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Whole30. If anyone has ever experienced this I would love your input.

I found this article.  Might be fine, but definitely see your doctor to rule out serious issues.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/why-do-i-have-blood-in-my-urine-after-running

12 hours ago, JulieP757 said:

I found this article.  Might be fine, but definitely see your doctor to rule out serious issues.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/why-do-i-have-blood-in-my-urine-after-running

Yes that is the article I found too so I think it's fine. By the end of the night last night it was returning to normal and today has been fine. I'll keep an eye on it for sure and if it happens again I'll go to the doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a half marathon today on day 28 and had a PR, so you can get your running back! Having said that, I only drank water, some coconut water and ate two apple slices during, while I obviously ran faster, I also felt pretty horrible afterwards, definitely looking forward to being able to maybe relax and drink some electrolyte replacement stuff for my next one. I had though I found a compliant one at earthfare, but it had stevia extract. But I think I'll allow it once I'm off whole 30, just on race days. 

Curious what everyone here uses to fuel longer runs? I typically like to get something into my system around mile 5 or 6. The last time I trained and did a whole30 I got dates and stuffed them w/ cashew butter and coconut oil w/ sea salt. Delicious but hard to eat on the run (chewy) and they just don't hold up - they get all squishy. Gu and all the other packets are clearly out. I am also not a fan of coconut water. Blech. Would love to know your reccos. 

What is recommended to use during long runs for fuel?  I'm on Day 7 and have done two 8-mile runs this week that felt awful. I used Dates and a sweet potato and apple puree pouch (so pretty much carbs, just not the sugary Huma Gels that I normally used).  If I shouldn't be using carbs to burn what's the best foods to pack for my runs?

Today I did an intense 1 hour bike trainer ride.   I had good energy for the workout but found myself starving later in the day and evening.  I sort of binged on raspberries topped with coconut milk.   I seem to do well on the whole 30 until I do an intense work out.   I'm limiting my outdoor rides to 1 hour 45 min so I shouldnt need extra fuel.  However I have found I must eat my normal whole 30 breakfast followed by a sweet potatoe 30 to 45 minute prior to riding , eat a banana half way thru my ride and then have mellon and nuts in the car to eat  as soon as I m fininshed with my ride.  Im not sure I could do a longer with our fuel.   But I really would like to at least get in a 50 mile ride.   Anyone have thoughts?  Kudos for the 15 mile long runs .  I'm setting those aside until after my 30 days.  Im on day 20 and was 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also finding myself with extremely low energy when attempting a run - I'm on day 11 and couldn't make it too far today as my legs were very weak.  I have gone snowboarding and also do a spin class twice a week and afterwards I have to sleep bc I am just empty.  Really hoping that I can start converting energy from fat soon and feel better as I'm losing my running legs/distance!  I have tried eating more but I find myself getting full really fast.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, stinagrace said:

I'm also finding myself with extremely low energy when attempting a run - I'm on day 11 and couldn't make it too far today as my legs were very weak.  I have gone snowboarding and also do a spin class twice a week and afterwards I have to sleep bc I am just empty.  Really hoping that I can start converting energy from fat soon and feel better as I'm losing my running legs/distance!  I have tried eating more but I find myself getting full really fast.

Usually when people complain of getting full too fast, their meals could use some tweaking... you also want to make sure that your pre workout snack if you have one is not fruit... in order to become fat adapted we want our body to work harder to burn fat stores... if we give it easy fuel, it won't learn... and part of the fatigue in the inbetween of sugar burning and fat burning is that your body is working out that you're asking something more of it than it's used to... 

If you would like us to check out your meals, feel free to list 3-4 days of your intake including all pre and post snacks, fluid intake, meal timning etc... the more info you can give the better we can help you.

Archived