Liquid mayo??

JGlee

So I'm starting tomorrow and was prepping by making mayo today. First of all, I can't read apparently and used regular olive oil and not light, and after I blended it forever is was really, really liquidy. Will it solidify in the fridge? Or did I completely just kill it by not reading correctly and buying the wrong oil?

Thanks. :P

• Moderators

It's unlikely that you killed it by using the wrong oil... it would taste weird but shouldn't impact the emulsification.  That said, something impacted the emulsification and no, it won't firm up in the fridge... but you CAN turn it into salad dressing or ranch dip etc... it's not a waste for sure.

Go ahead and google 'whole30 mayo fail' and many resources about mayo, the best ways to make it, how to attempt to fix a fail should come up.

20 hours ago, JGlee said:

So I'm starting tomorrow and was prepping by making mayo today. First of all, I can't read apparently and used regular olive oil and not light, and after I blended it forever is was really, really liquidy. Will it solidify in the fridge? Or did I completely just kill it by not reading correctly and buying the wrong oil?

Thanks. :P

Try again with an immersion blender! Immersion blender is magic!

what did you use to make it? I tried the first time with a vitamix, and that was a no go. The blade was too high compared to the liquid and not enough was getting mixed, all liquid basically ensued. Use an emersion blender or food processor instead, you'll be fine. Also, def check the taste of your OO... I made mine once with reg OO and was great, but the next time I used a different brand and the OO taste was SO strong I had to throw the batch out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived