Starting January 9th

Shmelly

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM, MKS2017 said:

Happy Day 2!  This is my first Whole 30, and I already miss my wine!  That is definitely going to be the hardest part for me.

Wine!  I'm not craving it yet, but I will before the 30 days are up!! (like maybe right now?)

I've done pretty well, I don't feel like I've hit much of the "hangover" stage. I snacked yesterday on an orange and handful of nuts but I'm surprised I'm not tempted to snack more.  And I'm actually loving the food prep and cooking part - I love to cook and don't often take the time when it's just me. It's nice to dig out the iron skillets and gadgets and get creative again.

Has anyone else fallen in love with some new dish? 

To use up some of my leftovers, I tried a variation of Sunnyside Salad (Crispy Fried Egg) yesterday and have decided that crispy eggs are my new BFF. Yesterday I put them over sweet potatoes and steamed asparagus and it was very yummy. Then this morning I had some over warmed up leftover butternut squash cubes on top a routine spinach/romaine salad and I didn't need any dressing at all!  Yes, I've had them twice now and it's only Day 3! :D  I can now see why nom nom paleo waxes poetic about crispy eggs.

Hope everyone is moving on strong! My mom came back home after a long trip overseas and she brought this one candy that is only found there. So of course I had to decline. Just said to myself I won't have them now but will just save them for afterwards. Keeping myself under control made me so much stronger. Does anyone else feel the same way. Gives you fuel to keep going.  On to day 4 everyone! 

16 minutes ago, Naz786 said:

Hope everyone is moving on strong! My mom came back home after a long trip overseas and she brought this one candy that is only found there. So of course I had to decline. Just said to myself I won't have them now but will just save them for afterwards. Keeping myself under control made me so much stronger. Does anyone else feel the same way. Gives you fuel to keep going.  On to day 4 everyone! 

I am a Canadian living in Hong Kong and there's one chocolate we eat at Christmas that I love. So i brought a box back...They are currently, literally duct taped shut, over the top and around the sides, and in my freezer. Waiting for day 41. I love feeling like i'm in control of it all at the moment, but also wanted it to be very tricky for me to make the decision to eat them in a weak moment. 

15 hours ago, *Aurora* said:

Haha!  I totally agree with you about the raw egg!  I made it but realized after that it said not to use extra virgin olive oil due to the stronger taste but it was too late!  Mine is a bit green in colour and smells like olive oil... I haven't actually tasted it yet but I'll give it a try as the base of a dressing and attempt to forget about the raw egg. ;)  I just picked up avocado oil to try next time though.

Thanks everyone for the ideas on adding fats!  I'm glad I'm on the right track - I'll just increase it in my meals a little.

Hey, it's also important to note that mayo from a jar is made with raw eggs too, so nothing you'll not have eaten before. And you'll probably love it so much, you'll never go back to the ready made stuff :)

Day 4!!! I felt sooooo crummy yesterday.  I practically bit my tongue off trying to filter my moodiness from coming out of my mouth lol. I was very tired and very cranky. I took a long nap and even went to bed extra early. I feel much better this morning.

Yesterday I was pleased to find Trader Joe's.  I wouldn't normally shop there. I'd read a blog about all the W30 options they had, so I went to check them out and left with two bags worth of awesome compliant groceries.  The best part about Trader Joe's is that they have so many options of pre-chopped, pre-prepped food that's perfect for W30. I found broccoli rice, cauliflower rice, compliant chicken sausage, pre-chopped butternut squash, and some snacks that my super picky daughter is willing to try.  They also have a great selection of nuts, which I like to use as my healthy fats.  I highly suggest checking them out.

Cravings:

In one of my previous rounds of W30, I got the advice to create a "Distraction List" that I would refer to any time I got a serious craving.  Here is my list that I printed and hung up. Do you have a distraction list? What is on your distraction list?

When I get a craving, I will do one or more of the following things to distract myself until the craving passes:

• physically remove the temptation/myself
  • read 10 pages in a book
  • paint my nails
  • clean something
  • call a friend
  • write a card to a friend and mail it
  • do my makeup
  • go take a nap
  • have a cup of tea
  • write in my journal
  • find a cute outfit that I want on Pinterest

Hi there - I also started the Whole30 on January 9th and just got registered and onto the forum today. I've had a good week so far. I signed up for RealPlans and have made a few of their recipes with great success - Cuban slow cooked pork (worth the price of admission just for this recipe - it's so good!), tomato/dill salad, marinated mushrooms. I also roasted a chicken and some root veggies at the beginning of the week, and made my own mayonnaise (with avocado oil) and I clarified some butter night before last. I live alone so will have to start freezing some of the food I'm cooking. I like to cook and I like variety so there's an awful lot in my fridge right now! I do have a few friends locally who are also on the plan so it's nice to have that support.

I hope you're all doing well on the plan and that your first week has been successful. I am feeling a little irritable today but nothing too terrible. I have noticed that there are two things I really miss. A piece of chocolate or two after lunch and a beer (or two) after work. These are my challenges so far. And so far I've been successful. I'm patting myself on the back now. :) 

Back to work - have a great day!

9 hours ago, HillaryK said:

Cravings:

In one of my previous rounds of W30, I got the advice to create a "Distraction List" that I would refer to any time I got a serious craving.  Here is my list that I printed and hung up. Do you have a distraction list? What is on your distraction list?

When I get a craving, I will do one or more of the following things to distract myself until the craving passes:

• physically remove the temptation/myself
  • read 10 pages in a book
  • paint my nails
  • clean something
  • call a friend
  • write a card to a friend and mail it
  • do my makeup
  • go take a nap
  • have a cup of tea
  • write in my journal
  • find a cute outfit that I want on Pinterest

That is such an awesome idea!! I love it!  I'll have to make one for myself too. 

Happy day 4 everyone! Here's a really helpful tip that saved me so opportunity much time in my last round. I buy cauliflower rice from Costco and those are fairly large bags. I then measure out single servings and freeze them in ziploc bags. Date them so you know which ones are older.  It still turns out to be good roasted cauliflower rice! That still saves me so much time and the insane mess cauliflower tends to make. 

Just finished day 5 here. Feeling apprehensive about the weekend when I'm all off schedule. There's something easy about it during the week when it's eat, work, eat, work, eat,  sleep and repeat. 

Tomorrow will be my first meal out at a restaurant before heading to a concert. The friends I'm going with are supportive of me and what I'm doing, which of course makes it easier, but it will definitely be a first, heading to a concert on a Saturday night without having a glass of wine/gin. Wish me luck! 

I wish us all luck as we head into the first weekend! 

Here we are, Day 5 already!!! I have to say, I am sleeping like a baby. I don't remember sleeping this well on my past W30's, but wow, I'm sleeping great! Anyone else? I have cooked, prepped, cleaned, shopped all week...tonight, we're going out for steamed shrimp w/a salad and unsweet tea, sounds boring, but I'm so excited not to cook! Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

NAZ786 - Great cauliflower rice idea. I am going to Costco after work. I will see if my location has any!

HILLARYK - I love the distraction that is looking for a new outfit on pinterest. I always link food with rewards and I'd like to focus on something like new clothes for a job well done!

I have been having crazy food dreams. The first on day 1 when I was eating apple pie and MacDonalds burgers and ended up feeling so guilty. I was glad to wake and realize it was a dream. Another last night, I dreamed I was half way through a bowl of pasta before realizing it was pasta and thought I blew my whole30 before day 5. My subconscious is missing some things I guess. LOL.

Anyone else have any funny food dreams yet?

1 hour ago, misskrissy27 said:

Here we are, Day 5 already!!! I have to say, I am sleeping like a baby. I don't remember sleeping this well on my past W30's, but wow, I'm sleeping great! Anyone else? I have cooked, prepped, cleaned, shopped all week...tonight, we're going out for steamed shrimp w/a salad and unsweet tea, sounds boring, but I'm so excited not to cook! Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

YES! Sleep - oh my gosh it's so nice to sleep again!! I just hope it lasts.

28 minutes ago, daleanne said:

YES! Sleep - oh my gosh it's so nice to sleep again!! I just hope it lasts.

My husband says he is waking up more during the nights these past few days. I hope this passes for him because he is already a poor sleeper.

Food dreams, yes....I dreamt I ate one bite of a biscuit and had to begin again on Day 1, and biscuits aren't even anything I crave.

I'm wondering about the "cauliflower rice" several people have mentioned as being at Costco. Is this just finely ground cauliflower, and is it sold in the produce department? I've never seen it at my Costco.

Today on Day 5, I'm finding that I want to snack. To the old acronym, HALT (don't feed your addiction when you're Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired), I would add Bored. Today I want to eat because I'm bored.  However, I'm committed to changing my relationship with food during these 30 days. So I won't eat until I'm genuinely hungry, and I will give myself nourishing food, and not just snack on whatever's easiest to grab in the pantry. Putting this "out there" helps me stay accountable, so thanks for reading! I will also use one of the ideas from HillaryK about things to do when a craving hits--that's genius, Hillary!

Happy weekend, everyone.

So happy I found a Jan 9th start date thread!

Hi. I'm Josey. This is my third Whole30. The first time I did it I made it to a Whole82 days and the second time I did it was way harder and I just barely made it to 30. This round has been surprisingly easy so far. I think I'm doing way better at meal planning. I actually made it fun this time but keeping my plan in a physical journal instead of an online calendar. So I doodle and make it cute. Silly, but makes me enjoy meal planning more! Also, saving money by just buying the ingredients on the plan instead of just everything I like to eat that is compliant. Less food waste too!

Resisting snacking has been hard for me too. I've been sipping on tea or bone broth when I have the urge to snack. It helps a lot!

7 hours ago, joseybee said:

Resisting snacking has been hard for me too. I've been sipping on tea or bone broth when I have the urge to snack. It helps a lot!

I love tea!! I'm sipping on tea all day long. During this round I've discovered dandelion tea and it's great (and is supposed to be good for detox).

Day five! Goodness gracious! I did not plan well today. I thought I could wing it and around dinner time I struggled to make it home and make food. I was tempted to eat something not compliant or to just go to bed without food (both bad choices).

At this point I'm thinking I'll likely do a W45 or W60. Anyone else think they'll continue past 30 days?

How's everyone's first week? I've had my share of highs and lows but feeling good about this round! 

Name your drink of choice in your reply!

I'm sipping on a mug of ginger pear white tea from Trader Joe's, with a splash of coconut cream.

38 minutes ago, joseybee said:

How's everyone's first week? I've had my share of highs and lows but feeling good about this round! 

I'm sipping on a mug of ginger pear white tea from Trader Joe's, with a splash of coconut cream.

I honestly had a rough week. I have some underlying medical conditions and they were treating me rough this week. I had a slip up today....I'll call it "label fatigue" because I'm normally very good at reading labels and sugar was listed plain as day on the package. I didn't notice till it was too late. I'm going to stay in this group, keep counting with you guys, but aim for 45 or 60 days depending on how I'm feeling in a couple weeks.

Tea is definitely my favorite drink. I have probably ten varieties or so that are compliant that I rotate through. I don't add anything to my tea. I also drink water, of course. But if I get bored of plain water I'll sometimes add a couple slices of cucumber. So good!!

1 hour ago, joseybee said:

I have been on water, water, water! I have always been good at getting in my water each day, so that isn't hard for me but I was also a big time consumer of diet coke/pepsi. It was a bad habit and I have been weaning myself off since early December. Haven't had a sip since a week ago Friday. This will be one of my non-scale victories. I think I'm kicking the habit once and for all!!

I'd like to get into tea, since black coffee just isn't doing it for me. I've never been a tea drinker but having something warm to sip on would be lovely if I can find one I like.

My week has gone well overall.... Besides my strange food dreams and the food prep! The constant cooking has been overwhelming at times. The feeling of 'OMG, I HAVE TO COOK AGAIN! AND CLEAN! AND REPEAT." Which is the last thing I feel like doing when I get home from work. Tomorrow I plan to get up early and cook, cook, cook. Hoping this Sunday prep work will lead to a smoother less stressful/busy week of food prep and anxiety about what I'm going to eat. The only other thing I've noticed is a change in my skin and not for the better. My skin is usually pretty cooperative but this week I've noticed so many spots breaking out, its oily and almost tender in places. I've tried to pin point other possible causes, but I can't find any. I'm sure it will pass. I think the book did mention something about this possibly happening.

Hope everyone's week went well, goodluck this coming week!

On 1/13/2017 at 4:16 PM, josielcpc said:

I'm wondering about the "cauliflower rice" several people have mentioned as being at Costco. Is this just finely ground cauliflower, and is it sold in the produce department? I've never seen it at Costco

You can usually find it in the produce section that is refrigerated. Its basically bags of cauliflower bits. Costco didn't have it last year when I did my first W30. I did put in a request for it in their suggestion box. I'm so happy they actually listened! 

We're almost done with week 1!! The first few days seemed really hard. I felt unsatisfied after my meals. I guess my body had gotten so used to the feeling of being stuffed instead of just full. But now I'm moving away from it. For the first time in like forever, last night I slept really well. Like no interruptions!  Felt really good! Hope everyone is having a good weekend and sticking with the plan. 

Archived