Starting January 9th

Shmelly

Today (day 7) is my first day of feeling any cravings. Facebook is full of stupid pictures of stupid sugary foods and my brain WANTS them.  But I had some non-scale victories that helped keep me on track all weekend. Some of my too tight clothes are fitting again! I was very surprised that in such a short time my clothes would loosen up. I ended up trying on nearly everything I own and planning some outfits for work this week that I haven't been able to wear in ages. 

How's everyone else going on the NSVs? 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all -- how's day 7? I've been sticking to the plan, but had to make a quick trip out of the grocery store after shopping -- was too tempting inside - but nothing extra snuck into my cart! I went on a mission to stock up for the week, had a list and stuck to it! I've had a headache today - am hoping that eases up - am drinking more water.....

21 hours ago, Angela321 said:

I have been on water, water, water! I have always been good at getting in my water each day, so that isn't hard for me but I was also a big time consumer of diet coke/pepsi. It was a bad habit and I have been weaning myself off since early December. Haven't had a sip since a week ago Friday. This will be one of my non-scale victories. I think I'm kicking the habit once and for all!!

I'd like to get into tea, since black coffee just isn't doing it for me. I've never been a tea drinker but having something warm to sip on would be lovely if I can find one I like.

My week has gone well overall.... Besides my strange food dreams and the food prep! The constant cooking has been overwhelming at times. The feeling of 'OMG, I HAVE TO COOK AGAIN! AND CLEAN! AND REPEAT." Which is the last thing I feel like doing when I get home from work. Tomorrow I plan to get up early and cook, cook, cook. Hoping this Sunday prep work will lead to a smoother less stressful/busy week of food prep and anxiety about what I'm going to eat. The only other thing I've noticed is a change in my skin and not for the better. My skin is usually pretty cooperative but this week I've noticed so many spots breaking out, its oily and almost tender in places. I've tried to pin point other possible causes, but I can't find any. I'm sure it will pass. I think the book did mention something about this possibly happening.

Hope everyone's week went well, goodluck this coming week!

Angela, have you tried "bulletproof" coffee? (You put hot coffee and a tablespoon of so of coconut butter in a blender and blend it on high for a few seconds. It sounds awful, but it's terrific--at least I think so. The process turns the coffee the color of coffee with cream, puts a creamy froth on top, and gives it a delicious flavor, without anything non-compliant.) It feels like a "treat" to me, and I prefer it to plain black coffee. You could also try it with Ghee, but I'm not sure how that would turn out. Organic butter is great (but not during the W30), but I haven't tried the Ghee yet.

47 minutes ago, josielcpc said:

Angela, have you tried "bulletproof" coffee? (You put hot coffee and a tablespoon of so of coconut butter in a blender and blend it on high for a few seconds. It sounds awful, but it's terrific--at least I think so. The process turns the coffee the color of coffee with cream, puts a creamy froth on top, and gives it a delicious flavor, without anything non-compliant.) It feels like a "treat" to me, and I prefer it to plain black coffee. You could also try it with Ghee, but I'm not sure how that would turn out. Organic butter is great (but not during the W30), but I haven't tried the Ghee yet.

Interesting! No I havn't tried that before. Thanks for sharing, sounds like it's worth a shot!

On 1/14/2017 at 8:56 PM, HillaryK said:

I honestly had a rough week. I have some underlying medical conditions and they were treating me rough this week. I had a slip up today....I'll call it "label fatigue" because I'm normally very good at reading labels and sugar was listed plain as day on the package. I didn't notice till it was too late. I'm going to stay in this group, keep counting with you guys, but aim for 45 or 60 days depending on how I'm feeling in a couple weeks.

HillaryK - don't let it get you down!!  I actually did the same thing... my husband bought organic guacamole and I was excited and put some on my salad.  I read through the ingredients, it all looked good!  After eating the salad,  I happened to glance at it again and near the bottom of the list... sugar.  Ugh!  How could I have missed it?  I am not beating myself up about it.  It was an honest mistake and I couldn't have ingested much.  I'm choosing to keep going, although as you mentioned, I may continue past Day30... we'll see!  On the other hand, had I eaten some of the chocolate someone left in the break room the other day - that would have been cause for a re-do!!

Day 7 - I can't believe it!  I'm feeling good, but sometimes still hungry in the evening.  I cooked up a spaghetti squash recipe I found online (http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/) and I have it packed for my lunch tomorrow.  It sort of looks like lasagna (minus the cheese and noodles!) and it smells good!  I'm finding that as long as I prep and plan, I'm good.  And avoid the lunch room... ;) 

22 hours ago, Nickimac79 said:

Today (day 7) is my first day of feeling any cravings. Facebook is full of stupid pictures of stupid sugary foods and my brain WANTS them.  But I had some non-scale victories that helped keep me on track all weekend. Some of my too tight clothes are fitting again! I was very surprised that in such a short time my clothes would loosen up. I ended up trying on nearly everything I own and planning some outfits for work this week that I haven't been able to wear in ages. 

How's everyone else going on the NSVs? 

Today was my first day of cravings, too. Only mine is for breadbagelscrackerscheese and not really the sugary side of things, although I did daydream about a donut (which I don't normally eat). Anyway, I made it through Saturday wine club at a foodie's food market (sans wine :() and a friends birthday dinner this weekend like a champion, but walking through the aisles of the grocery store this evening was hard. 

My week 1 meal plan worked out amazingly well. I was worried that buying so much produce would mean that some would go bad, but other than having to pick over the spinach on the last day everything fresh got used! That almost never happens to me - I either run out or buy too much and throw out (which drives me nuts).  I'm hoping this week's haul works out the same way. 

Week 1 is over!  It went by pretty quickly and not too bad. I'm noticing I'm not that hungry anymore in between meals. And I now know not to overstuff myself. I am going to try to keep this habits forever. How's everyone else doing? Hope you're all ready for week 2!

Made it through day 8, but still having some sugar cravings, though I'm thinking they may be more hormonally related than actual food related. I felt pretty smug today when I was able to pass up on the many treats that went around our staff meeting. People are commenting on my food now, I like cooking and so I'm bringing some fairly decent stuff to work. But people keep calling it a "diet" and it's making me feel crazy. But that makes me question why I've got such a negative reaction to the word diet. Maybe because weight loss diets fail and this is more a lifestyle diet, therefore it can't fail? Or maybe it's delayed "kill all the things". Hoping it passes. 

1 hour ago, Nickimac79 said:

People are commenting on my food now, I like cooking and so I'm bringing some fairly decent stuff to work. But people keep calling it a "diet" and it's making me feel crazy. But that makes me question why I've got such a negative reaction to the word diet. Maybe because weight loss diets fail and this is more a lifestyle diet, therefore it can't fail?

I have the same feeling about the word 'diet'.  Sometimes, I catch myself thinking, I can't have that chocolate/bread/treat now, but I can at the end of my 30 days.  So... I know even though I want to treat this as a lifestyle change, I do on one level, feel it's a diet.  I'm not sure how to change my mindset, but I know that this battle it one I've been going through since, well... forever.  I'm hoping that this journey really does help me change my relationship with food, but I guess I really need to do some reflecting on why it is I turn to food and when.  Deep thoughts for a Monday... ;) 

Good Morning from Texas!

Yesterday was the hardest for me, by far. I had absolutely ZERO energy, I was not able to prep as much as I wanted too. I felt like I was in a heavy fog and that I needed to sleep for weeks. I woke up today feeling a bit better but disappointed that I feel like yesterday was a waste. My cravings were strong too but I kept on and made a yummy sweet potato/butternut squash hash for supper. Burned the frittatas that I made for this weeks breakfast so that is a bummer!

How is everyone else doing?

Also- since I have been eating better, I have discovered the Trader Joe's Chicken Lime Burgers and Turkey Burgers. These were a LIFESAVER this weekend- my husband grilled them up on Friday night and I cut them up and threw them in my salads and they were pretty good cold with a hard boiled egg.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day- keep on pushing on!!

Morning everyone! Week one is over! I haven't had any cravings really. This W30 for me has been one of the easiest. Unsure if it's because I've done them before or that my boyfriend is doing it with me...OR that I really truly wanted this. With that said, today is Day 8! Lets kick its butt! I love reading all these posts. Gives me some ideas and makes me accountable :) 

Drink wise as all you commented on. I drink a ton of water during the day and have my few coffees in the morning. I love black coffee, but have been putting some compliant almond/coconut milk in it with a pinch of cinnamon. It's delicious! I like the idea I read where you blend coffee and some coconut milk in the blender, sounds like a treat to me as well.

Everyone...keep on keepin on!

Hello Y'all! How did everyone do today? I find that I'm still hungry between meals. I think I'm eating enough protein and fats, so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe I'm not fat-adapted yet. Or maybe I'm eating too much fruit...I usually have a piece with lunch and another with dinner. What do you think?

Still having weird food dreams. Last night, the dream was that I bought 3 packages of frozen french fries...in reality, I haven't bought those in probably 15 years, and I rarely order fries when I eat out! I'm not really craving things at the moment. Today, I tried the slaw recipe from the Whole30 book, and it was pretty tasty. I also made another batch of mayonnaise and put together a good protein salad for lunch. There's organic chicken bone broth cooking in the crockpot, and it will be made into soup tomorrow.

What are you all eating for breakfast other than eggs? I'm really tired of them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

52 minutes ago, josielcpc said:

Hello Y'all! How did everyone do today? I find that I'm still hungry between meals. I think I'm eating enough protein and fats, so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe I'm not fat-adapted yet. Or maybe I'm eating too much fruit...I usually have a piece with lunch and another with dinner. What do you think?

Still having weird food dreams. Last night, the dream was that I bought 3 packages of frozen french fries...in reality, I haven't bought those in probably 15 years, and I rarely order fries when I eat out! I'm not really craving things at the moment. Today, I tried the slaw recipe from the Whole30 book, and it was pretty tasty. I also made another batch of mayonnaise and put together a good protein salad for lunch. There's organic chicken bone broth cooking in the crockpot, and it will be made into soup tomorrow.

What are you all eating for breakfast other than eggs? I'm really tired of them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Besides eggs, I've been eating salads for breakfast. Or leftovers from dinner. Or both in a weird combo. ;) 

If you need breakfast to be quick - I tried making these Spicy Tuna Cakes but with chicken instead (I dislike seafood)  and altered the spices a bit based on what I have/like. Also ,some of the comments said that it sticks to muffin pans, so I made patties and baked them on a cookie sheet.  They're easy to reheat. Mine turned out okay and I would make them again, but maybe I'd stick closer to the actual recipe next time (LOL). 

@Nickimac79 @*Aurora* I deliberately don't use the word diet, because well, I don't like all the connotations and baggage that go with it. I'm trying to redefine my relationship with food and eating so I tell people I'm doing a food reset or restart for 30 days - to wean myself off sugar, processed food and bad habits. That tends to get a bit more respect vs the standard eye roll or ribbing.

Overall, I'm definitely glad week 1 is in the bag. This is my 2nd whole 30 but my 1st one was over a year ago and to be honest, even though I *knew* what sort of withdrawal symptoms I'd have this time around, it doesn't make the actual symptom(s) any easier. I'm also happy to say that the hunger I used to have if I didn't eat for 5 or so hours ie. hangry, gnawing hunger is much more of a friendly "hey you" type nudge or tug from my body now. Yay for progress!

I love reading these posts. These really make my days a little brighter.

Angela321 - How did your weekend prep go? I think that is one of my successes this W30 round...is that I have been making large recipes and then either freezing batches or eating portions over the week.  I am not cooking as much as I was the first round when I was literally cooking or prepping every unique meal.

ColleenSw - I'm right there with you on the grocery store.  My first trip to the grocery store after starting this round was really challenging.

Nickimac79/Aurora - I did not create this, but I can't remember who to give the credit to.....I like to think "I can have that, but I'm choosing not to right now."  Somehow that makes the treat less enticing and it makes the critics quieter. // Also, if you are doing W30 to find possible food allergies or to change your relationship with food, you could rightfully call W30 an exclusion diet. This has a medical connotation and people don't normally stick their nose in medical/personal stuff like that.

josielcpc - This was fantastic for breakfast! I am the only one doing W30 in my family and it makes 6-8 servings, so it lasted the whole week.  http://thefettle.com/2016/04/19/recipe-love-fajita-breakfast-casserole-by-the-fettle/

Hi there!  Ok...so I keep waiting for the hammer to fall but nothing so far.  I am loving this so much!  I wasn't addicted to sugar when I started so maybe that is why I'm not feeling bad?

It feels like all I do is prep, cook and clean up though.  LOL! 

Sunday for breakfast I had a delicious meal!  I had fried potatoes and onions topped with a fried egg and avocado with a slice of bacon on the side.  Oh my gosh it was delicious and very filling. 

Yesterday I made this breakfast casserole and it's very good as well.  It was a little labor intensive but oh so worth it!

http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-breakfast-casserole-whole30/

Good luck this week!

Day 9! Tomorrow is the "dreaded day Day 10" I hear so much about. But, for me, so far so good. I'm doing really well. No cravings! I really cannot believe it. My meal I'm about to warm up at work is spaghetti squash with some turkey/veg meat sauce, it's my jam! Also everyone, the W30 cookbook has helped me in ruts some days. I've made quite a few things from it and they were all delicious! It's worth picking it up.

Happy Day 9 :)

@ShannonE & @HillaryK those casseroles look yummy!  

I had a slight blip in my meal plan as I'm pretty sure some oil I had on my lunch salad was going towards rancid (?not sure, but it tasted funny?) so I tossed the whole thing out. There was no date on the bottle, it was one of those fancy infused things that was unopened -  life lesson: don't save the good stuff!  :) So I snagged some meatballs I'd made during week 1 from the freezer, microwaved some green beans and cobbled together a small meal with a handful of walnuts to nosh on at the end.  I t made me realize I need a better emergency plan for when a planned meal doesn't work out and the next meal is labor intensive.

Unrelated, but I'm also finding that if I don't have some sort of starchy thing like butternut squash or sweet potato at breakfast or lunch, I want to snack before dinner. It doesn't seem to matter if I have them for breakfast OR lunch, just as long as it's sometime in the front part of the day.  

Anyone else learning anything about themselves or useful tips or "next time I'll...." sort of things yet?

I really need starchy vegetables at each meal too @ColleenSw!

This is my second whole 30, and that was an important takeaway.

I think this round is way harder than my first time.

I wasn't really a junk food/processed food person, but I am craving a 10-year cheddar from my hometown, 1/2 t manuka honey in my morning coffee, and a square of dark chocolate at night.

I'm pretty aware of all my food allergies, so I'm doing my whole 30 to reduce inflammation. Dairy is kind of a problem for me, and I indulged over the holidays. I need this as a reset to help with body aches, especially in my hands.

Yesterday I could have sworn I had the flu. Pure exhaustion, felt like I had a fever. I'm wondering how much of it was related to the normal whole 30 timeline or my own medical stuff (MTHFR mutation).

As a private chef, cooking and doing dishes at work, and then cooking and doing dishes at home is a challenge.

Wishing everyone an easy day 10 tomorrow!

Thanks Shannon and Hillary, those breakfast casseroles look great. I also found a nice recipe on Pinterest this morning for a compliant "oatmeal" made from chopped apples, nuts, coconut, and chia seeds. I added some coconut milk and heated it in the microwave. A nice change of pace. Here's the link:

http://www.somethingswanky.com/grain-free-whole-30-oatmeal/

Colleen and MG23, I'm not finding that I'm doing a lot more dishes, probably because for lunch I'm usually eating leftovers from the night before. My Whole30 meals aren't too very different from how I cooked before I started the program. What's most different for me is that I've eliminated unhealthy snack foods and desserts with grains and sugar. Was having a tough time with that at the beginning, but every day it's a bit easier. Perhaps my tastes are changing.

Day 9's in the bag, everyone. On to Day 10! 

On 1/16/2017 at 6:00 AM, Nickimac79 said:

But people keep calling it a "diet" and it's making me feel crazy. But that makes me question why I've got such a negative reaction to the word diet. Maybe because weight loss diets fail and this is more a lifestyle diet, therefore it can't fail? Or maybe it's delayed "kill all the things". Hoping it passes. 

On 1/16/2017 at 7:27 AM, *Aurora* said:

I have the same feeling about the word 'diet'.  Sometimes, I catch myself thinking, I can't have that chocolate/bread/treat now, but I can at the end of my 30 days.  So... I know even though I want to treat this as a lifestyle change, I do on one level, feel it's a diet.  I'm not sure how to change my mindset, but I know that this battle it one I've been going through since, well... forever.  I'm hoping that this journey really does help me change my relationship with food, but I guess I really need to do some reflecting on why it is I turn to food and when.  Deep thoughts for a Monday... ;) 

You should really look into Melissa's newest edition,  Food Freedom Forever. She covers exactly what you're talking about and how to move ahead. It's like what to do after our 30 days are done. I'm doing this round just to follow with that book. Hope that helps! 

23 hours ago, ColleenSw said:

Besides eggs, I've been eating salads for breakfast. Or leftovers from dinner. Or both in a weird combo. ;) 

If you need breakfast to be quick - I tried making these Spicy Tuna Cakes but with chicken instead (I dislike seafood)  and altered the spices a bit based on what I have/like. Also ,some of the comments said that it sticks to muffin pans, so I made patties and baked them on a cookie sheet.  They're easy to reheat. Mine turned out okay and I would make them again, but maybe I'd stick closer to the actual recipe next time (LOL). 

I ate those everyday in my first round of W30 last year! I never thought of making them with chicken. That's such an awesome idea! I would brush my muffin pan with olive oil and they never stuck. 

Archived