Starting January 9th

Shmelly

1 hour ago, Naz786 said:

You should really look into Melissa's newest edition,  Food Freedom Forever. She covers exactly what you're talking about and how to move ahead. It's like what to do after our 30 days are done. I'm doing this round just to follow with that book. Hope that helps! 

Thanks!  I think I'll pick it up! :)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, MG23 said:

I really need starchy vegetables at each meal too @ColleenSw!

This is my second whole 30, and that was an important takeaway.

I think this round is way harder than my first time.

I wasn't really a junk food/processed food person, but I am craving a 10-year cheddar from my hometown, 1/2 t manuka honey in my morning coffee, and a square of dark chocolate at night.

I'm pretty aware of all my food allergies, so I'm doing my whole 30 to reduce inflammation. Dairy is kind of a problem for me, and I indulged over the holidays. I need this as a reset to help with body aches, especially in my hands.

Yesterday I could have sworn I had the flu. Pure exhaustion, felt like I had a fever. I'm wondering how much of it was related to the normal whole 30 timeline or my own medical stuff (MTHFR mutation).

As a private chef, cooking and doing dishes at work, and then cooking and doing dishes at home is a challenge.

Wishing everyone an easy day 10 tomorrow!

I can only imagine your pain of looking at your kitchen after cooking all day long. During my first W30 I was working 10-12 hour days without notice of which days would be long and which days would be "short." My go to easy meal was a small whole chicken slow roasted in a slow cooker (all day while I was at work, with a plastic liner so I didn't have to do dishes). First night I'd have chicken and streamed veggies (I had zero energy or interest in cooking). Then I'd peel every bit of meat of the chicken I could and use it through the week (salads, fajitas, reheated as is). On my worst weeks, I was getting two chickens and a ton of microwavable veggies that streamed in the bag. It's not ideal....It's not exciting....but it got me through.

Just finished day 10 and I definitely had the desire to quit. I was at the hairdressers and they give wine to the customers. I declined. The woman next to me did not. I could have ripped that glass right out of her hand and downed it like a shooter. But I made it. I kind of enjoy the smug feeling of success even though it's only me succeeding against myself. 2 challenges ahead I'm trying to be ready and prepared for- 1. A 13 hour work day tomorrow, throwing my meal times off schedule a bit. Everything is packed and ready to go. 2. It's "treat day" at work Friday and my team has to prepare it. So I'm trying to square myself with being anti-social and missing treat day since I don't have time to make a compliant snack for myself. 

Any second/third timers have suggestions for how to actually begin engaging with the general public again and trusting myself? At the moment isolation has been my go-to. 

Hello all!  Here's to day 10!  Last night I noticed my eyes and a spot on my jaw was itchy.  Not sure what that's all about.  I still have it this morning.  But....a NSV was that I noticed that my tummy was significantly flatter and my skin does seem a little clearer (other than my jaw area).  I used to have what is called milia (sp?) which are these white head looking things and I noticed this morning that they were gone!  My facial lady has been trying to get rid of those for years!  Yay!!! 

Good luck!

8 minutes ago, Nickimac79 said:

Just finished day 10 and I definitely had the desire to quit. I was at the hairdressers and they give wine to the customers. I declined. The woman next to me did not. I could have ripped that glass right out of her hand and downed it like a shooter. But I made it. I kind of enjoy the smug feeling of success even though it's only me succeeding against myself. 2 challenges ahead I'm trying to be ready and prepared for- 1. A 13 hour work day tomorrow, throwing my meal times off schedule a bit. Everything is packed and ready to go. 2. It's "treat day" at work Friday and my team has to prepare it. So I'm trying to square myself with being anti-social and missing treat day since I don't have time to make a compliant snack for myself. 

Any second/third timers have suggestions for how to actually begin engaging with the general public again and trusting myself? At the moment isolation has been my go-to. 

I just met two of my girlfriends for brunch Sunday...we had the restaurant picked out, so I had my brunch picked out, WELL...hour wait, change of plans. We went somewhere else. My one friend had fish and chips, other friend, mussels drenched in butter/garlic, and raw oysters (which I don't like anyways) with a side of duck fat fries...AND they each had 3 glasses of champagne! AHHHHHHHHHH! I HAD A SIDE OF GRAPES, COFFEE, WATER, MORE COFFEE, COFFEE! They didn't have really anything at this place I could eat. I didn't want just a side of scrambled eggs...thankfully, I ate a bit before I went there. THEN...they ordered the cookie trio. 3 homemade cookies with a scoop of homemade ice cream on each cookie, WHAT! Surprisingly, I was OK! I drank A LOT of coffee and water. In my head I kept thinking, it's only 30 days, AND I didn't really want the dessert, didn't crave it at all. The only thing I really wanted, was to try my friend's fish she had. It's really a mind game, and in this instance, I won. The kicker, the bill came...friend 1, $64, friend 2, $48, me...$5.83 :) Then I ate a turkey burger and baked potato when I got home, all is good. HAPPY DAY 10! WE CAN ALL DO THIS! (however, those grapes were the best grapes I've had in my life, heheh)

29 minutes ago, misskrissy27 said:

I just met two of my girlfriends for brunch Sunday...we had the restaurant picked out, so I had my brunch picked out, WELL...hour wait, change of plans. We went somewhere else. My one friend had fish and chips, other friend, mussels drenched in butter/garlic, and raw oysters (which I don't like anyways) with a side of duck fat fries...AND they each had 3 glasses of champagne! AHHHHHHHHHH! I HAD A SIDE OF GRAPES, COFFEE, WATER, MORE COFFEE, COFFEE! They didn't have really anything at this place I could eat. I didn't want just a side of scrambled eggs...thankfully, I ate a bit before I went there. THEN...they ordered the cookie trio. 3 homemade cookies with a scoop of homemade ice cream on each cookie, WHAT! Surprisingly, I was OK! I drank A LOT of coffee and water. In my head I kept thinking, it's only 30 days, AND I didn't really want the dessert, didn't crave it at all. The only thing I really wanted, was to try my friend's fish she had. It's really a mind game, and in this instance, I won. The kicker, the bill came...friend 1, $64, friend 2, $48, me...$5.83 :) Then I ate a turkey burger and baked potato when I got home, all is good. HAPPY DAY 10! WE CAN ALL DO THIS! (however, those grapes were the best grapes I've had in my life, heheh)

Good for you!  What I have found that has helped me is that when I see all that processed food....I just remember how it's made and all the chemicals that are put into and that helps me stay focused.  I think about all my good Whole30 meals and how savory and tasty they have been.  You can do this!!!!

46 minutes ago, ShannonE said:

http://honestcooking.com/savory-bacon-potato-pancakes/

Would this be whole30 compliant?  I know the ingredients are but I'm thinking it might fall in the SWYPO category.  I was looking up ways to use up my coconut milk and came across this.  Anybody know?  TIA!

@ShannonE Darn that looks tasty. But sorry, it's SWYPO.  The ingredients are compliant but the meal is not. Each meal should be built along the template: 1-2 palm sized servings of protein, 1-2 thumbfuls of fat, and the rest filled with vegetables  (2-4 cups). These pancakes are very light on protein and veg.

An option could be to have 1 pancake as part of a meal with more protein + veg. However, the pancakes alone as M1 wouldn't be in the spirit of whole 30.

20 hours ago, josielcpc said:

Thanks Shannon and Hillary, those breakfast casseroles look great. I also found a nice recipe on Pinterest this morning for a compliant "oatmeal" made from chopped apples, nuts, coconut, and chia seeds. I added some coconut milk and heated it in the microwave. A nice change of pace. Here's the link:

http://www.somethingswanky.com/grain-free-whole-30-oatmeal/

Colleen and MG23, I'm not finding that I'm doing a lot more dishes, probably because for lunch I'm usually eating leftovers from the night before. My Whole30 meals aren't too very different from how I cooked before I started the program. What's most different for me is that I've eliminated unhealthy snack foods and desserts with grains and sugar. Was having a tough time with that at the beginning, but every day it's a bit easier. Perhaps my tastes are changing.

Day 9's in the bag, everyone. On to Day 10! 

I think a lot of the extra for me has been from not eating out and from breakfast related things (cooked the night before usually) whereas I used to grab a yogurt/granola and only dirtied a spoon!   Otherwise, I agree. My regular meals aren't too different either.  Just without bread or rice on the side. Or butter. 

mmmmm.... butter :P

On January 17, 2017 at 0:37 AM, HillaryK said:

Angela321 - How did your weekend prep go? I think that is one of my successes this W30 round...is that I have been making large recipes and then either freezing batches or eating portions over the week.  I am not cooking as much as I was the first round when I was literally cooking or prepping every unique meal.

It went well, exhausting but well! Thanks for asking.

I made the chili from the W30 book, more like soup than chili but it tasted great and freezes well for later. I also made a sheppards pie recipe from the book and the perfect sausages. The sausages were awesome and also freeze well, 45 seconds in the microwave and they are ready to go with a couple boiled eggs. I made eggs in muffin trays (egg, onion, peppers), the ones that didn't stick tasted well but I took my chances with freezing them and it was a failure, so it's boiled eggs for another week. Lol. I tried the mayo and it is not too bad. Also made some delicious tomato avacado salsa, which is a personal fav of mine even when I'm not on the W30. Plus totally compliant! 

11 hours ago, ShannonE said:

http://honestcooking.com/savory-bacon-potato-pancakes/

Would this be whole30 compliant?  I know the ingredients are but I'm thinking it might fall in the SWYPO category.  I was looking up ways to use up my coconut milk and came across this.  Anybody know?  TIA!

Hi, in the book it says definitely no pancakes no matter what the ingredients are. I guess it's a personal choice but their thinking seems to be that if you don't break the habit of needing a naughty pancake then once they aren't off limits, you'll eat the real ones. 

Day 11 folks! I'm a bit tired today and feel a tad of a cold coming on. It seems that every W30 I've done, I've gotten sick. Not sure what it is. I know there are tons of germs in my office, but kinda strange that EVERY W30, I get a cold. Hmmmm...Is my immune system down in the beginning because of my body adapting? I don't know. Today I was a bit bored w/my food. Going to make something different tonight, not sure what...so I'm on a hunt for recipes.

Hope all are well! :)

Day 11 and hopefully everyone is moving along well. For the past couple of nights, I've been having trouble sleeping and then I keep waking up throughout the night. I didn't have this issue in my first round. It's anyone else going through this as well? 

On 1/17/2017 at 0:19 PM, ShannonE said:

Hi there!  Ok...so I keep waiting for the hammer to fall but nothing so far.  I am loving this so much!  I wasn't addicted to sugar when I started so maybe that is why I'm not feeling bad?

It feels like all I do is prep, cook and clean up though.  LOL! 

Sunday for breakfast I had a delicious meal!  I had fried potatoes and onions topped with a fried egg and avocado with a slice of bacon on the side.  Oh my gosh it was delicious and very filling. 

Yesterday I made this breakfast casserole and it's very good as well.  It was a little labor intensive but oh so worth it!

http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-breakfast-casserole-whole30/

Good luck this week!

Thank you for posting this recipe. I altered this a bit -- because that's what I DO with recipes, it's a like an unwritten rule to fiddle --- *cough*   ----  I altered to accommodate what I had on hand and half a batch because there are only so many eggs (so I improvised a smaller dish out of a pie plate).  And I used chicken sausage instead of bacon, some steamed broccoli and uncooked spinach (because I was being lazy) instead of brusell sprouts, etc.  But the FOUNDATION of what I made is based on the link you posted, so thank you. :)

It's part of my Day 10 meals picture below (bottom right). And it was delicious! The sweet potato crust is an awesome idea and I will be making this again. 

day10.jpg

4 hours ago, Naz786 said:

Day 11 and hopefully everyone is moving along well. For the past couple of nights, I've been having trouble sleeping and then I keep waking up throughout the night. I didn't have this issue in my first round. It's anyone else going through this as well? 

@Naz786 Yes! I had a restless, tossy, turny, sleep last night. Which caught me off guard because I didn't have coffee yesterday, nor had I been having any sleep issues so far. I wonder if it's related to the amount of starchy carbs - or rather lack of in my case.  The rest of my whole 30 has been going pretty smoothly - some symptoms ie. sluggish and lots of yawning in week 1, but otherwise good. Though all my workouts pretty much flattened me in week 1. Things seemed to be turning the corner for week 2. Definitely noticing some NSV (better skin, more regulated energy and appetite, clothes a bit looser).

Fingers crossed for a better night's sleep!

@ColleenSw Yum. That all looks delicious! I make a lazier version of the breakfast casserole using 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, 1 bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower, 12 eggs. I bake everything into a 6 x 10 glass casserole dish for 30 mins and then portion into 4 for easy heat-and-eat breakfasts.

breakfast.jpg

Quick mayo question - I made the mayo from the W30 book and it says it stays good until 1 week past the date the egg expires. I do not use a lot of mayo and that expiry date is over a month away. Am I really okay to keep it this long? Does the egg not go bad? Has anyone kept it this long? I need some reassurance here. Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, Angela321 said:

Quick mayo question - I made the mayo from the W30 book and it says it stays good until 1 week past the date the egg expires. I do not use a lot of mayo and that expiry date is over a month away. Am I really okay to keep it this long? Does the egg not go bad? Has anyone kept it this long? I need some reassurance here. Thanks in advance. 

Angela, I've made mayo several times. I've only had one batch spoil, and I think it was probably 3 or 4 weeks old. It looked and smelled "off." I've stored my most recent batches with great success in a FoodSaver canister that has all the air removed. Example:  http://tinyurl.com/h6l7hjx.  If you think your mayo won't last until you can finish it, you can always use some of it as a base for a creamy salad dressing (add vinegar and herbs as desired). Yum.

Just joining I am doing this with my cousin we live 1000 miles apart but have been doing well supporting each other daily.  We started on the 9th as well.  Had lots of detox side effects this past week, but feel great today on day 12!  This next week will be tough, I have a dinner board meeting at a bar [Wisconsin that means fried foods and hamburgers], a Chamber of Commerce Award Dinner, and I am hosting my daughter's baby shower.  I got the baby shower handled, and can hopefully skip dinner at the bar, and I will be talking to the restaurant for the award dinner to see if they can make me a compliant meal.

Today is a rough day for me. My emotions and stress are definitely affecting my appetite today. There are some really big political things that are increasing my anxiety.

I considered quitting today pretty seriously. I wanted chocolate and butter.

Instead, I'm forcing myself to eat my whole 30 food because I honestly don't have an appetite.

But then, I reminded myself why I'm doing the whole 30. And reminded myself that I honor my commitments, especially to myself. The better I feel, the more I can show up when I'm needed, whether thats for my family, friends, clients, the under-represented, and the downtrodden. My strength is our strength.  Phew. Sorry if that got intense there!

Also,

@Angela321 I've made mayo several times and its never gone bad before I've used it all. Trust your nose and eyes! You'll smell it if its bad.

23 hours ago, Naz786 said:

I actually have had the same side effect.  I am truly not sleeping well, my deep sleep is really off and so I am falling into a deep sleep around 4:30 am and then over sleeping my normal needed wake up time.  I am going to make a better attempt at good sleep hygiene and see if it makes a difference.  [remove electronics from reach, turn off TV, when heading to sleep, water hydration throughout day not increased at night, etc..]

Hello all!

I'm not sure if it's the whole foods or what, but I'm a kindergarten teacher and on Monday, we had 5, yes 5 students throwing up at school.  It was awful... but it gets worse.  By the end of that night, I was hearing from parents that their kids were now sick, by the next morning 17 had it.  I had my quietest day of teaching ever with only 5 students on Tuesday!  By Wednesday night, 23 out of my 26 students had caught the stomach flu!  And yes, it was the flu, I didn't feed them anything!  I can't believe how quickly it spread, but I didn't catch it!  Maybe I'm helping out my immune system with this good eating. ;)

I've been sleeping well, but last night I had my first food dream!  LOL  Someone offered me a bite of a chocolate covered pretzel and I took one bite, then was all upset I ruined my Whole30.  

I'm finding I'm drinking way more water (or trying really hard to) and having to pee constantly, but always seem thirsty.  

Hi everybody,

We're almost at the halfway point!!! Woo hoo.

As for side effects: I'm still having somewhat restless sleep so I'm going to see if upping my sweet potatoes (I usually have about 1/4 c per day, I'll try bumping that up) helps. And similar to @*Aurora* I find I'm going to the bathroom waaaay more often but I expected this. And I still have some days when I feel tired - where it feels like I'm trying to move through water. Invisible, heavy resistance. But I think this could also be tied to sleep/stress.

As for NSV: Better skin/complexion. Appetite and hunger drastically changed. I no longer crash or get super hangry if not fed. I also seem fine with a 4-6 hr gap between meals, which was not the case previously. Clothes feeling a tad looser. Being able to have a better understanding between my body's hunger vs. craving (ie. my body needs nourishment/fuel vs. my body "needs" cake at 3:30). And re-inforcing my willpower! Investing in yourself by choosing what to eat and what not to eat is a powerful affirmation that you're in the driver's seat. All good things. :)

Keep up the good work and good vibes all!

Archived