Olive Oil Confusion

I read the Whole 30 book last month, and one area that was foggy to me was the type of Olive Oil to use.  The pantry list mentions only the  Extra Virgin among olive oils, but some of the recipes just mention light olive oil.  My pantry typically  has a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for dressings and items that don't get cooked (to avoid oxidation) and a bottle of Pure Olive Oil (light in color) for recipes that require cooking.  Somehow I didn't think to calculate how much EVOO I'd need for my first day of Whole 30 cooking, and I used up the rest of my EVOO.  Normally I'd run to the store but there's a lot of snow and ice out there right now.  How bad of a faux pas is using the regular pure Olive Oil?  Is it less preferred but okay?  Or does it mean if I use it, I'm back to restarting Day 1?

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, shogan923 said:

I have been told that light olive oils are filled with chemicals and it is important to use a high quality evoo that you can purchase at a specialty store with just a little increase in price for the much higher quality evoo.0

That's a great idea for most of your olive oil needs, but if you're making mayo with it, you really want something that doesn't have as strong a flavor, or it will make your mayo very strong flavored, and most people who have tried mayo made with evoo have not liked it at all. If you don't want to use a light tasting olive oil (which might be more processed or be cut with other oils), you'd still want to find something lighter to use specifically to make mayo with -- some people use avocado oil, some use macadamia nut oil, some use high oleic sunflower or safflower oils (there's a little bit about what high oleic means for these here: https://whole30.com/2016/01/tessemaes-organic/). 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Samantha Eames said:

I buy EVOO from Trader Joes because it comes in both a bottle and a can for pan spraying... works great so far! I was planning on making mayo this weekend so after these comments i will probably go out and buy a lighter version.

Thanks!

Make sure you check the spray can and ensure it's only olive oil as many of them have soy

Archived