Basic mayo

I have tried making this recipe in the whole 30 book 2 times now and it continues to be runny in consistency! The first time I added a cold egg and cold lemon juice (becuz I didn't read directions thoroughly) But the 2nd I did exactly what the recipe said to do. I used my Blendtec blender on medium speed, & poured the remaining olive oil (light) in slowly....? 

Has anyone else had better results with a thicker, creamier consistency? If so, please let me know how? Thanks a lot! .....SH

• Administrators

Unfortunately a lot of people who use the Blendtec report broken mayo simply because the motor on the machine gets too hot. If you have a stick/immersion blender, that's usually your best bet. Or use a standard food processor. Those super-powered blenders (vitamix, blendtec) are just too much for the fine emulsification that has to take place.

I also had problems making the mayo ( Day 1 here) . I used an immersion blender and got a nice, thick emulsion until I added the lemon juice. Recipe called for juice of 1/2 lemon; I added less but the emulsion still broke and became, essentially, salad dressing. All ingerdients were at room temp and the mixtire was not overheated from the immersion blender.

I have made many, many dressings over the years and never had something fail, as this did, following the recipe.

Should I leave out the lemon juice? Maybe it should be bound to the initial oil/egg/seasonings mix to make the emulsion, then the rest of the oil added? That makes more sense to me to keep it bound together.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, jannie said:

I also had problems making the mayo ( Day 1 here) . I used an immersion blender and got a nice, thick emulsion until I added the lemon juice. Recipe called for juice of 1/2 lemon; I added less but the emulsion still broke and became, essentially, salad dressing. All ingerdients were at room temp and the mixtire was not overheated from the immersion blender.

I have made many, many dressings over the years and never had something fail, as this did, following the recipe.

Should I leave out the lemon juice? Maybe it should be bound to the initial oil/egg/seasonings mix to make the emulsion, then the rest of the oil added? That makes more sense to me to keep it bound together.

Thank you.

Yes, your lemon goes in with your other ingredients. I swear by the Serious Eats method and can make it even before I've had coffee.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html 

There is physics involved: immersion blender, narrow jar, put 1 egg yolk, 1 tbls water, 1 tbls lemon juice, 1 tsp (compliant) Dijon mustard and 1 cup light tasting olive oil in your jar in that order. Let sit 15 seconds. Start with the blade of the blender flat against the bottom (this creates a vortex, so egg is pushed up and oil pulled down). Don't move the blender until the mayo starts to form, the slowly tilt and lift the head. 

[note: updated recipe uses whole egg; I still use egg yolk+water. I don't use garlic--I want a neutral mayo]

Thanks, Art. I do think the problem is adding the lemon at the end. Plus, juice from half a lemon is too much liquid. The Serious Eats recipe makes more sense. I actually used the correct jar, as recommended above. I will give it another go.

I just made mayo this past weekend using my blender Ninja and it comes out perfect, this  is my second batch.  Ingredients have to be room temperature.  I doubled this recipe!

http://cassidyscraveablecreations.com/2015/11/easy-homemade-mayonnaise-paleo-whole30-dairy-free.html  Tastes better then Hellman's if you ask me and much cleaner!!!

On 1/9/2017 at 10:19 AM, sara harman said:

I have tried making this recipe in the whole 30 book 2 times now and it continues to be runny in consistency! The first time I added a cold egg and cold lemon juice (becuz I didn't read directions thoroughly) But the 2nd I did exactly what the recipe said to do. I used my Blendtec blender on medium speed, & poured the remaining olive oil (light) in slowly....? 

Has anyone else had better results with a thicker, creamier consistency? If so, please let me know how? Thanks a lot! .....SH

Sara, I had failed mayo too, but then retried the recipe using a regular blender and followed the recipe differently and eureka!, Mayo!! Crazy, delicious mayo I might add. Scroll down on the whole30 basic mayo recipe to the one that says chipotle mayo. I cut the oil back to 3/4 cup and did not use the chipotle (cause I didn't have any) and followed that recipe. The difference was no oil in the beginning, and then slow, snail stream oil and viol! Yummy Mayo!!! I did take a slight mayo shower as it all was mixing but I was so excited. Then I followed a tip from someone who told me how to fix my failed mayo and viola! wonderful ranch dressing!!! I feel empowered and like a pro!!! Oh, and if you don't have an immersion blender, get one! I bought a cheapie  one for 10 bucks at Walmart. I LOVE it!!! good luck!!

Update: I think  my immersion blender is part of the problem. It's an old Braun 200 watt, using because my less-than-2-years old Cuisinart broke the week before we started whole30. The Braun immersion can make mayo at the start, i.e. in the bottom of the cup, but does not have enough power to create the "vortex" and thus incorporate the full 1 cup of oil. Going to get the cheapie one at Walmart; thanks for the rec.

I have found that my Mayo is almost always too salty.  I've also found that it almost always fails the first time, and then I have to let it sit in the fridge for a while, then break another egg into another jar, transferr all the bad batch ontop, then blend again, with the immersion blender.  that normally works.

I have found that initially it will start to emulsify, but then wont fully finish, so I end up with thick claggy mayo up the sides, but oil on top, and then when I raise the blender, the oil mixes in with the emulsion, and it goes runny rather then blending into a thicker emulsion.  This time I added lime juice at the  end, and yes it made it a bit runnier, but when I blitzed it again it went ok.

It just takes practice to find a recipe and method that works for you.  don't give up.

Archived