2 weeks on my bike - some learnings

So I am finishing up my second week of riding my own bike and I have had some interesting learnings and observations in that time. Two days after we finished the Whole30 was my wife's birthday so we knew that we would completely off-road that meal and then we had a Cinco de Mayo party in which I was trying to stay good the entire time. Additionally, I had my first business trip with 2 days in New Orleans at the start of this week.

So onto some learnings:

Birthday Dinner @Bachannalia

• I stayed away from baked bread at my wife's birthday meal, but didn't worry about breading or crostini's in my food. I was okay with that and I took a lactaid so the dairy was fine for both of us. I did not have much dairy sensitivity before and could probably re-introduce it. My wife was already lactose intolerant so we will keep it out of the house.
  • The sugar in her dessert made my wife's rosacea spring back up something fierce. She had 30 days of clear skin leading up to that point.
  • I really missed wine. :-)
  • Edit: I should say I really missed GOOD wine. I did some cheap stuff one night and it wasn't worth it.
  • My sense of taste has shot through the roof without all of that processed sugar and flour coating my tongue. The meal was going to be heavenly anyway, but I could really notice more subtlety of flavors than I believe I used to be.

Cinco de Mayo

• Melissa's post on willpower really resonated with me here as skipping over tortilla chips next to our homemade guacamole and flour tortillas and chocolate peanut-butter rice krispy treats became harder and harder as the night went on for both of us.
  • My secret was to eat our paleo shredded chicken covered with homemade guac each time I wanted a chip or treat. I thought trying to stay full would help.
  • I finally gave in and had a rice krispy treat . . .
  • . . . I got a headache within 5 minutes of eating it, but I wasn't sure at the time whether it was the sugar, peanuts, or something else

New Orleans

• I was good my first night and found a steakhouse with some steamed aspargus and a strip steak
  • Second day lunch was tough because I wanted to have an authentic NO experience so I had a Po Boy sandwich with baked ham, roast beef, cabbage, and gravy . . .
  • . . . and I got a headache within 5 minutes of eating it. So I am starting to think that I have a low-grade gluten issue now that I have been clean for so long.

This will be tough for me, because I LOVE baked goods. However, I now know what falls in the "mess me up" category for my chart and will really have to weigh out is it worth how I felt (I have to admit that sandwich was close . . . it was really amazing.)

I hear you on the increased sensitivity after eating clean for a while. A couple months back, my wife and I took our kids to a local pizza place we love. I hadn't eaten any grain-based food (except the occasional beer) for months. I had one piece of pepperoni pizza and two glasses of beer. I had a stomach ache that wouldn't quit for a solid day and the second half of my weekend sucked!

The sense of taste thing fascinates me... I am able to taste so many more subtle tastes now! I love the increased sense of taste.

Your response to gluten seems like an interesting find. Were headaches something you experienced before you began eating this way?

This is great, Dan! The cinco de mayo headache was probably from sugar. After my first super strict whole30 (which happened to be low carb at the time), I would get headaches and visual hallucinations (seriously) from any sugar rushes. I decided to have a piece of cheesecake at work and i got a headache within 15 minutes, my vision started getting funky without 30, and after about 45 minutes i REALLY needed a nap. It was the most bizarre thing ever. I've bumped my carbs up (sweet potatoes, etc) since then, and i don't get that violent of a reaction now, but it was crazy.

Glad to see you've got stuff figured out and you're navigating post-Whole30 quite well!

Dan,

Fabulous observations. These things continue to develop over time, and I guarantee that your tastes and what you think of as "worth it" will also develop and mature over time. The things that were worth it for me a year ago are sometimes not today - and then, there are some things (like a slice of Nutella-stuffed french toast) that I'll probably bust out once a year for the rest of my life.

Great work riding your own bike! I'm sure others will learn from your experiences, too.

Best,

Melissa

I have never had trouble with headaches after meals or in general. I have had however an interesting issue where I would have a solid sneezing attack after a heavy meal. I used to think it was a spice allergy, but I literally just realized that I haven't had this happen after eating in 7 weeks since I went Whole30 and beyond. So I think it was a wheat issue, probably in conjunction with sugar and dairy, but who knows.

Archived