Dry Mouth and Canker Sores treatment

1. I have a very dry mouth usually only night and a sip of water doesn't help much. I don't take any mess and I usually drink enough water during the day (some days maybe a cup or so less). I don't take any meds; it's because I breathe through my mouth when I'm sleeping. My dry mouth spray has xylitol, eek! Which I just discovered and has set me back 4 days. Any suggestions for a replacement during the night when water doesn't help? Sometimes my mouth is all stuck together and it's hard to open it literally. 

2. I have had chronic canker sores for years and only treatment that has helped is DGL Ultra (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) taken at the first sign. Usually they go away. It has lots of no-nos (sugar alcohols, starches). I have 3 sores now but no treatment. They are painful and the anathestic gels also have non-compliant ingredients. No one know what causes them; I hope doing Whole30 will help. Does anyone have any compliant treatments for canker sores?

i await your reply with "baited breath" 

• Moderators

Please don't post the same question multiple times in the forum. Everyone here answering questions is volunteers, sometimes it takes a while for someone to get to each question.

For the dry mouth, I know there are things that are supposed to keep your mouth closed while you sleep -- have you looked into those? I know you say you're drinking plenty of water, but are you getting 1/2 oz per pound of body weight (so a 120-lb person would need at least 60 oz)? Have you talked to your doctor or had a sleep study to see if there's something that could be medically treated? If you're breathing through your mouth because your nose is stuffy, finding something to help with that might be an effective way to treat this. If this is the case, have you tried something like a neti pot or other nasal/sinus irrigation type system? Or some sort of decongestant medication?

I've never dealt with canker sores. Can you find a similar supplements in forms that don't have the sweeteners and stuff? Maybe a non-chewable version? If it's a form of licorice, have you tried licorice teas? We really don't want you to be miserable, so if this is the only treatment option, it's something you're going to have to decide for yourself.

I'm really sorry this posted more than once. I wasn't aware that happened and I don't know what I did. 

Yes I try to get my 55 ounces most days. (I way 110 lbs) even when I do I wake up very dry. I have chronic nasal congestion and post nasal drip and I have tried nose sprays, neti pot, sinus rinse, and other decongesting herbal formulas and OTC medicine, which by the way dry you up. Nothing works. I haven't done a sleep study yet and am considering it, however I don't have any symptoms of sleep apnea. But thanks for the suggestions.

I did some searching online and found several home remedies that I'll try and others might be interested in. Namely, increasing fluid intake, cayenne pepper, fennel seeds, slippery elm, oil pulling, aloe Vera, lemon, and grape seed oil. Last night I put some lemon slices in water and sipped it during the night. It helped better than plain water.

For canker sores these remedies were given, honey, coriander, licorice root, moist tea bag, aloe vera, tea tree oil, baking soda, peroxide, sage, fresh onion, and cayenne pepper. I am swishing aloe Vera and also baking soda and peroxide. I also found a DGL powder that I might try. It's also good for ulcers, acid reflux and other digestive issues. Maybe after a month of Whole 30 all these problems will clear up. Wouldn't that be great?!

Thank you your time. 

I don't know about canker sores but I struggle with dry mouth due to snoring and antidepressants. I find drinking fizzy plain water helps and also lemon as you mentioned. It's a hard thing to manage. Hoping in my case losing some weight will help!

• 1 year later...

Having problems with dry mouth is hard. I started having this problem recently after taking medications for my weak heart. It’s very painful and it makes life so much harder because I can’t even enjoy my food, it’s unfair, isn’t it?
I have tried many products that might help with my dry mouth, but none of them seem to be working. It’s frustrating. You would have thought that something like this would have easily been fixed but sadly it seems like pharmacists and drug companies aren’t as reliable as I thought they were.
Luckily after some research, I came across coconut oil pulling. It uses natural coconut oil and it came with a lot of recommendations; it was also very effective for me. This might be the help we need. 

Archived