Hidradenitis Suppurativa & Whole30

Hi all - first new topic post so let me know if I put this in the right area (I am assuming so!).  I have hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) which many believe is auto immune in nature.  I'm currently on R1D9 which I understand is very early in the program, but I have noticed no new lesions and no flare ups.   Frankly, I consider that progress.  I have zero pain and I attribute it to dairy so far as I've cut out dairy before and have seen a reduction in my symptoms. 

I know many people with HS follow the AIP, but I am having a hard time with wrapping my head around not having peppers/spicy foods.   These have truly kept me going during my W30.  

I just wanted to find out if anyone has had success with W30 alone as a way to improve HS or if the AIP is absolutely needed.  I have loved W30 so far and am planning to extend to a W60, so I was thinking of switching to AIP after I hit my first 30 days.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Hi @WholeWallet30 - one of our moderators has shared here before that she also has/had suffered from HS and discovered resolution in her symptoms on Whole30..........and experiences flare-ups when she consumes dairy. So there's that. ;)

Our overall suggestion to everyone is to complete your first Whole30 as written without extra modifications. Whole30 itself is anti-imflammatory enough for many people so as to not need additional restrictions. Once you're done your Whole30 and you do reintroductions, you may wish to go on Whole30 again, as written, until your symptoms from reintro (if you have any) are gone. THEN you can try AIP version of Whole30 and see if there is any additional improvement.

But just starting AIP in the middle of your current round is not really going to tell you anything because you won't know if further improvement would have happened anyway or if the restrictions were necessary for further healing. Does that make sense?

Thank you so much @ladyshanny!  That does make total sense.

I am currently planning to continue my W30 through to a true W60.  I want to continue this first to really get in the swing of things and after the 60 days, start AIP if I do not have additional remission.

Not looking forward to giving up my nightshades, but I know it's ultimately worth it! 

Edited to add: I saw that you mentioned doing reintro to see what causes my flares.  I don't really want to reintro grains or dairy AT ALL as I have lived dairy free before, although I will eventually re introduce legumes to see what happens as I miss hummus.  Do you, personally, find that (no dairy, no grains) to be sustainable long term @ladyshanny?

• Administrators

I don't have this condition but I do personally live my life 99% dairy free and 95% grain and legume free and have for over 3 years. The symptoms that I have from dairy, grains and legumes make my "worth it" fairly rare. Think: ice cream when on holidays, a slice of cake on my birthday, black beans in my chili. 

And beyond these obvious treats, there is no time during which I miss dairy or grains. You really do just get used to not eating them. Even if a place has a gluten free bun or I was feeling like I wanted to eat a regular bun for a burger, I just don't prefer it. The texture is offputting and it feels so heavy in my stomach.  I cannot stand the smell, texture or taste of cheese now and back in the day I used to be a cheese-on-everything person. If I get an omelette with cheese on it accidentally, the smell makes me just about gag. It's all in what you get used to. :)

It takes some practice and trial and error but you eventually get to the point that it's pretty rare to want to eat something that you know is going to make you feel poorly.

Archived