BACON in UK help needed

EmmaW30

Hi @EmmaW30

Bacon is actually pretty easy to find in the UK in most major supermarkets - just be sure to NOT go for a maple cured type. Smoked or plain should both be fine. Remember that nitrates are fine for Whole30 purposes, it's the sulphites/sulphates that are out. You'll probably find it easier to go for a back bacon rather than streaky.

I'd mention brand names but I'm in Ireland and our supermarket bacon is always from local suppliers so there'd be no point.

You can also get decent (& generally nitrate free) bacon from your local butcher/farm shops.

Hope this helps.

That's why you want to avoid maple cured.

Honestly, I've been eating this way for a loooonnnnng time and I've never had a problem finding compliant bacon. 

First one on the Tesco search:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=272638722

Not the best option (personally I go for dry cured from my local farm shop where I've asked about the curing process), but compliant nonetheless.

Here's an example of one that has added sugar...

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261992145

Craig Farm Organics sell compliant bacon that is also nitrate free. I eat a LOT of it so prefer it without nitrates. I buy most of my meat from them, on-line. Not cheap but the best quality I've found. It arrives well packaged and stays chilled all day until I get home from work.

also if you shop at a local butcher, then go in and tell them what you want, and they'll give you the best advice.  If you don't then you can look online for meat delivery services, which yes are expensive, but you can get very high quality meat, and there are several companies, and when I looked at least one of them had a choice of compliant bacon.

Archived