Chicken broth didn't coagulate

Tom83706

Hi Folks, I cooked a batch of chicken broth and stirred it several times while it simmered, added some additional water toward the end, since so much had evaporated, and it has not coagulated, nor has the fat hardened on top. Is this still edible and useful for collagen/gelatin requirements of the body? I've got it out in the shed at 30 degrees now for a full day and no luck so far. please advise if this is edible, nutritionally sound, etc. or if I should toss it. Bummer any way you look at it! Thanks in advance for your input. Keep shining... Tom

• Administrators

It's still good to use even if it doesn't gel. Usually a broth that doesn't gel can be attributed to cooking at too high a heat (ie, you don't want it to boil for a long period) or using a high water to bone ratio. It'll still have all the good stuff in there, just not in a quantity sufficient for gelling. Drink up!  (When I make chicken broth, the fat rarely hardens)

If you want more of a "guarantee" of a good gel, find and throw in some chicken feet!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been making chicken broth all month, and typically freeze it after it cools off so I can store it better and then just pull it out as needed, so I had no idea how much mine was coagulating - until this week. I got busy and had to go out, so my husband put it in containers in the fridge and I was shocked when I pulled it out because it was so jellied :) It's been so handy to just scoop out when I need it! Lol. One thing I have LOVED about doing Whole 30 is all the things I'm learning in the kitchen that I didn't know, and I'm saying this as someone who loves to cook and is in a situation where I've had to do most of that from scratch for the past decade. It's been a fun adventure! I'm getting an electronic pressure cooker in March (being brought to me where we live) and I'm excited about how much easier it'll be to make bone broth with it.

Archived