"Lighter" Meals for partner

RandiW

Typically my partner and I split the cooking responsibilities. Usually he does 2 nights a week, I do 2, leftovers for 1 or 2 and out for the other.  I cooked everything basically for the first 8 days and then had a meltdown. We sat down together and planned a list of things he could cook for me that would help lighten the load but still be whole30 compliant. Great, I felt so much better.

But NOW, we're having a problem every time I'm cooking. His problem is that he perceives a lot of the things I'm making to be "heavy," and my problem is I have no idea what to make that he also wants to eat and he's not being very helpful in suggestions. We're both bad at decision making and I get that if he's not cooking he doesn't want to decide what I should make. I think we both feel like the other is being difficult right now. I sorta cannot believe the unanticipated issues me doing this without him has brought up. My body doesn't feel like meat is too heavy right now because of the fat adjusting, but he's still subsiding on carbs and sugar and feel like additional calories are too heavy. I think it's putting us both on edge. We can definitely just eat different things some nights, but the whole point of the way we split up cooking is so the other person doesn't have to been stressed about cooking almost every night during the week.   I'd be happy to make fish often, but I think he's not psyched about salmon 3 nights a week either! What are some "lighter meals" you've made with W30?

Typically my partner and I split the cooking responsibilities. Usually he does 2 nights a week, I do 2, leftovers for 1 or 2 and out for the other.  I cooked everything basically for the first 8 days and then had a meltdown. We sat down together and planned a list of things he could cook for me that would help lighten the load but still be whole30 compliant. Great, I felt so much better.

But NOW, we're having a problem every time I'm cooking. His problem is that he perceives a lot of the things I'm making to be "heavy," and my problem is I have no idea what to make that he also wants to eat and he's not being very helpful in suggestions. We're both bad at decision making and I get that if he's not cooking he doesn't want to decide what I should make. I think we both feel like the other is being difficult right now. I sorta cannot believe the unanticipated issues me doing this without him has brought up. My body doesn't feel like meat is too heavy right now because of the fat adjusting, but he's still subsiding on carbs and sugar and feel like additional calories are too heavy. I think it's putting us both on edge. We can definitely just eat different things some nights, but the whole point of the way we split up cooking is so the other person doesn't have to been stressed about cooking almost every night during the week.   I'd be happy to make fish often, but I think he's not psyched about salmon 3 nights a week either! What are some "lighter meals" you've made with W30?

What kinds of recipes have you been making thus far?  If they are things like steaks or chicken with veggies on the sides, he could just eat less meat and more veggies if he wants to eat less meat.  

Also, you could still be cooking the same amount of food, but just for your own selves.  Longer bouts of leftovers, but not more cooking for each individual overall.  

Sooo, Randi, I'm kind of also in the same canoe. Hubs isn't doing my "diet", although I am blessed we are both carnivores. I do the majority of the planning, cooking, prep, shopping and everything, which does give me an advantage in what we eat. We also eat game meats, meats we purchased from friends who raised it, fresh water & ocean fish.  I think mixing up your "lighter" dishes using different fishes is key.  One of our faves: a chunk of white fish (either several fresh water fillets or a big piece of ocean fish), lightly wiped with oil, in an appropriate roasting pan, topped with sliced sweet onion, chopped tomatoe, a couple lemon slices and some course sea salt baked at 350 until fish flakes easily.  Thinner fish may "flake out" or shred (fall apart) while heavier ocean fish, like Mahi Mahi or amberjack will be steak like. He eats his in a tortilla (fish taco), I eat mine in a piece of romaine (skinny fish taco). W30 compliant salsa or hot sauce is a good topper, or the roasted veggies from the pan.

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Please don't cross post the same content over multiple threads, as per forum rules.

Can you do the meal planning together so that even tho you're taking turns cooking, you're agreeing on what to eat at the outset?

Sorry! Posted in troubleshooting and then realized maybe meal prep was a better spot. Won't happen again!

Archived