Dinner Party Dessert Dilemma

Abbie_Lu

Sorry if this is not in the right forum. I'm on day 13 of my second Whole30 and I've really been enjoying my journey so far. Today I'm feeling stressed for various reasons and now I added another one to the mix. I'm spending the day with a friend from another city tomorrow and it was really difficult for me to find somewhere where I could eat and where we'd both get value for money but I managed that :D 

Now my problem is that I'm cooking dinner for the first time for one of my childhood friends in the evening and I'm feeling a lot of pressure to make dinner presentable and delicious. I have a great main course in the making but I'm stuck on dessert. My strength has always been in making desserts but unfortunately during this time I'm finding it difficult to think of something to make. I have to serve her something that I can eat because it would be awkward if I didn't eat any but also I know that making paleo type cakes, cookies, etc is not an option while on Whole30. I'm making a mango salsa as one of the sides to go with the fish that I'll serve for our main course,  so I didn't really want to serve fruit again with dinner.  

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks 

I'm the wrong person to ask because I tend toward a tough love approach, but I'm going to answer anyway. :) And this comes from decades of entertaining and being entertained. 

The real point of the dinner is the company. The food is just an add on. You want your guest's experience to be pleasant and it will be because who complains when SOMEONE ELSE is doing the cooking?

If you feel awkward not eating dessert while she does, that's purely a creation of your own mind and you can dispel that feeling if you choose. Lots of time dinner guests choose not to eat dessert because they are full/satisfied. Do you make them feel awkward refusing? Of course not!

Puchase a single serving delicious dessert for your guest. (And if she declines it, throw it away.) Enjoy a delicious sparking water or cup of tea while she eats dessert.

I hear you on the awkwardness of this situation! Though I'm sure your friend would understand if you explained why you're not eating dessert, I agree that it would be a little awkward. At least for me it would be. There are some kinda options though. I googled and found these Whole30 compliant dessert recipes though they do clearly state that the entire concept of desserts is not really compliant but you can still be reassured that all the ingredients are Whole30 compliant. Yes, they are mostly fruit based but there is an ice-cream recipe in there! https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-desserts/ 

I like Urnesha's solution! The only other option I can think of would be some Bulletproof coffee (or some special tea concoction) in a pair of special mugs as you ease away from the table into a let's-relax-&-sit-here sort of a way. That way you're not still at the table so it's not as obvious that it's "dessert time". I have done this, and slipped a small plate with some treats on it beside my friend's coffee, while I sat across the room & cradled my own coffee with enjoyment, but without the small plate of treats. Mostly people tend not to notice, and if they do I just say my tummy is so happy with supper that I'm going to leave it that way for now while I enjoy my coffee & the company. And then ask them a question that they are likely to answer at length. LOL!

I don't figure that I owe anyone detailed information regarding my choices. Besides, I already know what I am eating & why. I'd rather catch up with their lives than rehash mine. Y'know?

My question is: is there a law that says you have to serve dessert at all? I like the idea of a lovely tea in beautiful cups, and I wouldn't even bother with a plate of petit fours, personally. If you have a starter and a main, no one will have room for pudding anyway. 

Archived