Spaghetti Sauce / Marinara

I usually make my own:

2 big cans of tomato puree, 2 16 oz cans of tomato sauce, 1 can of tomato paste, onion, garlic (to you liking), & carrot, basil, parsley, oregano, a pinch of mint, salt and pepper, oil of your choice. 

Chop the onions and garlic, leave the carrot (s) whole. In a big soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat, add the onions and sautee the onions until they are soft. Add the garlic and sautéed that for a minute or two. Add all the tomatoes and spices, throw in the carrot. Bring to a low boil then turn down and let it simmer for as long as you want. The carrot takes the place of adding a bit of sugar, like many recipes call for, and you can choose to eat it or show it away.  Just double and triple check your canned tomatoes for sneaking non-compliant ingredients. My mom has made her sauce like this for 30 years. It's pretty good. It is fast enough that there is no need to buy the jarred stuff. Mint is the secret ingredient - it just adds more depth to the flavor - but just a pinch - and you don't need it if you don't have it. 

• Moderators

I like spaghetti squash with just ghee, garlic, salt and pepper -- you can melt the ghee in a skillet, add chopped garlic, and saute (add some cherry tomatoes too if you like), and then just add salt and pepper to taste before serving, or with something like a pesto or chimichurri sauce.  If you ever want a totally different take on it, try this Pad Thai.

When I do marinara sauce, I usually just buy some -- Rao's makes a compliant version, or just go look and see what your grocery store has. If you're willing to take the time to read the ingredients you can probably find at least one.

37 minutes ago, IMSports007 said:

We are trying the spaghetti squash tonight and need a good mariara / spaghetti sauce product or recipe.  Any ideas?

I've found Muir Glenn Organic Fire Roasted Tomato sauce is compliant, as well as Newman's Own Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic. Both brands are usually easy to find (the Muir Glenn may be in the organic section of your grocery store, rather than with all the other jarred sauces). Or making your own from canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, and whatever seasoning you like is also quick and easy. Finish it with some good olive oil to make it nice and rich. 

Archived