When will drastic diet change be fully evident in bloodwork?

Let me start by saying that our whole family, 3 people who are quite obese, are doing great with our Whole30. We're on day 8 and going strong using RealPlan. 

That said, we have all been diagnosed with various vitamin and mineral deficiencies, along with myself having high blood pressure and high (bad) cholesterol, as well as some plaque in one artery, at some point in our past. 

So, what I'm wondering is, on the Whole30 diet, how long should we wait before reevaluating things like supplements and cholesterol meds and the like? At what point will blood work show that our new eating habits are in full effect, and give us a new baseline on what we need to supplement, or stop supplementing?

• Moderators

I don't know that anyone here can give you a definitive answer for this, since no one here is a doctor. If there's a point in say six months or a year when your doctor is going to want you to redo your blood work anyway, I'd probably just wait until then, unless you notice major changes in any symptoms that need to be addressed. The longer you keep eating Whole30, the more changes you should see.  I know some people get a baseline reading shortly before they start Whole30, and then another at the end of the month, but unless you're already due for blood work at the end of this month, I feel like that's probably a little bit soon -- you might see some changes, but probably not huge ones.

Archived