Green smoothies WITH breakast?

Natalie.s.a

I'm on day 20 today and just made my first green smoothie yesterday and thought it could be a nice way to start the day instead of coffee.

I know I shouldn't drink my food, but would a green smoothie with breakfast be okay? The smoothie is water or nut milk with spinach and fruit (bananas or apples) and the breakfast will have protein and veggies in it.

Liquid food is processed differently than solid food. Doesn't send the same hormonal signals, so it violates that good food principle. There are some other considerations too.

We REALLY don't like 'em, but if you're going to do it anyway, veggie heavy and with a protein rich breakfast is the less bad way.

Liquid food is processed differently than solid food. Doesn't send the same hormonal signals, so it violates that good food principle. There are some other considerations too.

We REALLY don't like 'em, but if you're going to do it anyway, veggie heavy and with a protein rich breakfast is the less bad way.

Interesting. Wish I would've known that before I invested in a Vitamix! LOL

Interesting. Wish I would've known that before I invested in a Vitamix! LOL

Oh, I would think your vitamix has many more uses than smoothies. Mayo, sunflower seed butter (if you partake in nut butters), salad dressings, pureeing soups, cauliflower. I don't even own one so I think others will chime in about what they use theirs for.

I make soups in my vitamix. It goes from raw veg to hot soup in 6 -8 minutes. then all I need to do is add some already cooked chicken or ham or something and I've got a really quick meal :)

OMG...they heat stuff up too? I may just have to put one on my list to Santa. I have always considered that I have a very well equipped kitchen...I have never bought so many things for it since my foray into Whole 30. :)

I do agree with you that there are many other uses and even though I'm not making smoothies as much these days I still use it a lot and think it is a great investment. However if smoothies are out wouldn't pureed soups be out too? Even though it is hot isn't it still liquid food?

I do agree with you that there are many other uses and even though I'm not making smoothies as much these days I still use it a lot and think it is a great investment. However if smoothies are out wouldn't pureed soups be out too? Even though it is hot isn't it still liquid food?

Here's my best guess on that, but hopefully a moderator will chime in. Smoothies aren't banned from Whole30 if they are used as part of a meal, but using it as a meal is banned and even as part of a meal, it's not encouraged. I think it's so easy to abuse smoothies and add WAY more sugary fruit, dairy products..things that you don't/can't have while on whole30. Not saying fruit is banned, but eating an apple is encouraged, while drinking a glass of apple cider (which contains a lot more apples therefore a lot more sugar) is not okay. Soups are a nutritious, whole food that real protein can be added to to make a full meal. It may be one of the more controversial subjects, so not sure I am explaining it right, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

And, honestly, if you're just eating pureed soup for a bunch of meals, we're probably going to recommend that you vary your meal choice a bit. Most folks, though, eat soups made of a bunch of veggies and some protein, and they often add other components to their meals as well. I know just a bowl of soup doesn't hold me for long.

And they usually aren't hiding a banana, a cup of blueberries, some pineapple and a bit of coconut in their soups.

OMG...they heat stuff up too?

Yep, the book explains it all. The Vitamix doesn't have a heater but the friction of the blades turning (I believe it's a 2 horsepower motor) will heat the ingredients if you leave it 6 mins or so. You can even make scrambled egg in it, though I've never tried that.

I love my vitamix! Granted, it's about 20 years old and I've had to replace parts twice now, but it's worth it. I've done everything from soup to ice cream in it. Delicious! When I was taking courses for my master's degree it was a convenient way of making meals that would keep a while in the freezer. Throw ingredients in (avocado, large handful of spinach and mixed greens, maybe a chopped apple, and just barely enough unsweetened almond milk to cover the taste of the greens if they were bitter), skim two hundred pages in whatever book I had to read for that night's class, pour the smoothie, drink the smoothie while finishing the book. More often than not I accidentally added enough raw walnuts and almonds to make a sort of fruity liquified nut butter because I was trying to get the book finished before class.

Yes, I want one but they are so expensive!

That is why I think Santa should get me one. :) Although, my favorite way to make soup and have the right amount of texture is to cook whatever sweet potato or winter squash in a pot with chicken stock and add all sorts of fun spices, but then use my immersion blender when it's ready to just puree some of it. I kinda like the chunks. Okay, over my "another appliance" urge. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My green drink is a cucumber, two celery stalks, parsley, ginger, lemon and lime juice, a double hand full (or two) of spinach and a half piece of fruit ... currently pear. Sometimes add romaine, collards or kale. Have been doing this nearly daily for 1.5 years. I was at risk of being veg free until I got the VitaMix. I'd buy veg and never get around to using it. Can't say it changed my life, but ... I haven't had a single day of illness.

I'm only in to week 2 on Whole30. Rather than gulping it for breakfast (formerly with oatmeal), I now have a pint jar with lunch and another with dinner. And have added avocado half.

VitaMix also make nut milks. I was doing almond milk and not bothering to strain it as I was using it on oatmeal. It's very good. Haven't made any since starting W30.

Laura, hurry and get one! So fabulous for mayo! I think I paid 25 dollars for my Braun and I saw a pretty stainless one at Costco with a wisk attachment.

IMO... Never get an emersion blender that has removable attachments like a whisk.... It seems cool, but there is a mechanical linkage that is made of plastic .... And that always goes first... I've blown through several... Even very expensive ones...last about six months and they die....

Oh... The vita mix is the bomb!!!! Also great if you toast whole cumin,coriander,fennel,ect, and grind them up for spice blends. I make several different currys/ tandoori blends...also great for red/ green chile / Thai green curry..... Nothing else works as well....

IMO... Never get an emersion blender that has removable attachments like a whisk.... It seems cool, but there is a mechanical linkage that is made of plastic .... And that always goes first... I've blown through several... Even very expensive ones...last about six months and they die....

Oh... The vita mix is the bomb!!!! Also great if you toast whole cumin,coriander,fennel,ect, and grind them up for spice blends. I make several different currys/ tandoori blends...also great for red/ green chile / Thai green curry..... Nothing else works as well....

Oh bummer. My Breville came with attachments which I could care less about. It does come with a 5 year warrenty though. I'll have to read it carefully and see what it covers.

.... Me big tough guy....me break stuff all the time, ugggg. To much testosterone. LOL

Probably will be just fine in 99% of hands.... The warranty is great, bought one at Sur La Table and they just gave me a new one on the spot after the linkage broke

Archived