FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Well - at long last I did the anticipated weigh-in this morning:  15 pounds!!  I pretty incredulous....I'm thinking I did my pre-W30 weigh-in at the end of the day - probably a day of eating many carbs and sugar - and was bloated...   But, regardless - the point is that there was significant movement on the scale.    I wrap up this round (going into reintro tomorrow) with so many NSVs that matter more...  I'm excited to go forward with all I've learned about eating and about myself....     (And targeting April 9 as the start of my next round.  In the meantime....focusing on continuing the good habits, and upping the exercise and self-care!)      But I'll keep checking in here.....  It's become part of my self-care routine :-)  Thank you all so much! 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so excited to have completed the whole 30 but i am also continuing. I have lost 13 lbs and have 6 more to go. that is a weight i havent seen for along time. i feel great!! i also find this plan to be very easy to follow. not to say i havent had struggles because i have, those snack attack days still haunt me now and then but im able to work thru them and staying compliant. thanks to everyone who posts-its very encouraging to me!!

Wow Everyone glad to see the weight loss but even more happy everyone is noticing other changes in their lifestyle which is more important than weight to them.  Don't let that scale dragon creep up on you again.  For me the scale dragon has as much of an addiction as the sugar dragon, I think they are cousins.....  

For myself I saw a 6 pound drop and happy for that.  I am continuing on for another 30 days and this is the only rule break I will do.  No more scale for another 30 days.  I think I did not exercise and I am making an effort to turn that around the next 30.  

Cannot wait to hear how everyone is doing with Re-intro and how others like me complete another 30.  

Woohoo! Completed my first W30! Like many of you, I am feeling positive changes and want to reflect on those today. I feel more awake from the time I wake up until my head hits the pillow again and I feel clear headed and bright-eyed. Before the W30 I often felt lethargic, drained, foggy and disengaged. My face has more color which is probably a combo of increased protein, omega-3s and more sunshine. My nails are noticeably thicker and stronger. My body looks more compact especially around my stomach, neck and thighs. Half way through this journey I joined a hot yoga studio and have been going six times a week. My whole body is starting to feel strong and balanced. I am not a scale addict but I did weight myself before and after. I went from 138.5 to 135 so not a big change in number but my body composition has had drastic improvements, less inflammation and fat, more lean muscle. For the past 13 years I have been eating a pescatarian diet (vegetarian plus seafood) and I relied heavily on dairy, grains like quinoa, beans and tofu for my protein options. Switching to the Whole30 meal plan was a big increase in the amount of protein I was eating in general and a huge increase in my consumption of eggs and fish. A palm size of protein was more likely to happen once a day not at every meal! I think the increase in protein has made me feel really good and has made me more aware of my need to prioritize it in my meals.

I will be doing the fast track reintroduction in the order recommended in the book. Tonight I get to enjoy a beautiful glass of red wine and I am salivating just thinking about it!! I have enjoyed building a closer and more positive relationship with food and have a new appreciation for each meal being an opportunity to give my body the nurture and nutrition that it needs. I still have more work to do, my after dinner hours are still occasionally haunted by my dragon, so I plan on keeping all candy/ice cream/cake/cookies/chocolate out of my house for a while longer.

Thank you all for sharing your journeys, your highs and your lows. I appreciate the honesty with all the cravings and slip ups and am so proud of all you have achieved! Your support and friendship was a huge part of my Whole30 success!!

Cheers and Congratulations to All!

Kelsey

. . . . . . bad news. I poured myself that glass of red wine tonight that I spend the last month missing. Half way through drinking the glass I noticed my arms looked horribly wrong! The undersides of both of my forearms are all red in odd blotchy shapes! My neck arms and face feel hot. No bumps but it might be hives?? I've never had a reaction like this before! I turned to my trusty W30 book and it sounds like I may be having a more noticeable reaction because my body's defenses are down. So bummed right now, why did it have to be WINE!?!?!

Hello,

Well done everyone for completing and for continuing on the 'whole journey' - in whatever form that may be :-) not turning to our favourite meal and overloading our system has to get us marks as well I think ;-)

My clothes are definitely loser and by immediate family can tell a difference in my body shape and face. My body shape has changed and I can see some sticky out things when I lie flat on my back - ribs I think they're called - I didn't think I had those lol! My mum even said that my skin tone had changed for the better and I didn't look so tired all the time. I also lost about 10lb but like many have you said I'd like to lose a bit more and continue on this way of eating making conscious decisions about the foods that I want to have when they crop up. 

I feel sad for you about the wine especially as you really wanted to enjoy it.

Has anyone else had some reactions?

When I have done this before I haven't noticed anything when I have reintroduced and then when I have put on clothes I have noticed bloating - if I had more of a reaction I wouldn't eat them and be this size! 

I intend to continue the whole 30 for at least a week and then start a slow roll while I'm away in Germany. Then back on it. I'd like to do a really good fun, strict exercise regime now ( do they exist) 

Happy eating everyone x 

6 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

. . . . . . bad news. I poured myself that glass of red wine tonight that I spend the last month missing. Half way through drinking the glass I noticed my arms looked horribly wrong! The undersides of both of my forearms are all red in odd blotchy shapes! My neck arms and face feel hot. No bumps but it might be hives?? I've never had a reaction like this before! I turned to my trusty W30 book and it sounds like I may be having a more noticeable reaction because my body's defenses are down. So bummed right now, why did it have to be WINE!?!?!

It might be the wine you are drinking , i saw a list if wine on facebook yesterday that have been reported to have arsenic in them, i will find it and try to post it here

Major NSV I have learned upon reintro -- I no longer like Diet Coke!!!!! I was an addict...a chain drinker as I called myself. I wanted to test it out so I got a Route44 at Sonic. I took a long sip and thought it tasted gross and just like syrup. I waited a while and took another sip, thinking surely it would change. Nope. Still gross. I gave it to my mom and grabbed a bottle of water. Now I know.

I haven't reintro'd as slowly as I thought I would. I'm starting a different but similar program on Monday for 10 days that my personal trainer runs. It's not quite as restrictive as W30, but very similar. So I wanted to get a few things in quickly just to see how they tasted.

Night 1 - PB&J on white bread with milk was first. Immediate dull headache for the rest of the evening.

Night 2 - 2 Beers, pretzel and cheese. Nothing dramatic.

Night 3 - More beer, cheeseburger and a few fries. Major heartburn. Had to dig into the Prilosec for the first time in 30 days.

Morning 4 - Donuts and milk. Majorly sweet tasting. Dull headache and sleepy and hungry an hour later.

Next I'll probably throw some beans into the W30 chili I made, but I'm about done with my tests. I feel too good and don't want to go back.

13 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

Oh no! So sorry to hear it! You've probably done this but I googled wine nitrate hives and there's a lot of info out there...Let us all know if you should try the suggestion of organic wine (maybe your wine was organic?) and what happens...

i know it's not the same exactly, but I don't enjoy most of my lip balms anymore because they taste like chemicals. I'm grateful not to get hives from them. This W30 stuff is powerful, eh?

20 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

I had the SAME reaction to a margarita!  (Which in truth I wasn't supposed to have- since its my NON-gluten grains  re-intro day.... As always, do the research BEFORE consuming- whoops!- I didn't realize that some (most?) Tequila has gluten!). That was the only gluten (and alcohol) I'd had in 32 days..... Ugh!   

(Though I actually have sensitive skin and react to a few different things in a similar way, like seasonal and dust mite allergies, so it muddies the waters...)

Thanks for the reintro stories.  Sounds like it is tricky to do the reintro as the W30 suggest.  I did not reintroduce well the last time I did the W30 so hoping to learn from this forum how to do it and how to listen to my body.    I am going to have to prepare for that when I start reintroduction next month.  Since the 30 day clock turned I have been really working on increasing my exercise and have been doing pretty good there.  Getting in a few good walks and doing some muscle stretches.  I also tried out the sausage recipe in the W30 book looking forward to sausage tomorrow.

Good Luck on reintroductions. 

Congrats on all your reintros, and commiserations for the ones that haven't gone too well.  Today is day 30 for me. I'm not going to lie and say I've had a perfect whole30. I've eaten out 6 times and had the best choices available to me, without checking that there were no uncompliant ingredients sneaked in. And i know that in some cases there definately were and I ate them anyway. I've eaten far too many nakd bars in the last week. I haven't eaten enough green or rainbow veg in the last week, my evening meals have been very potato heavy. I haven't drunk enough water, I haven't had enough sleep. Perhaps because of that or because I'm a quite overweight person, or because of other, unknown reasons, I've not had amazing NSVs. I still don't have any energy, I still have upset stomachs from time to time, I still get breakouts. I think that when I weigh and measure tomorrow I'll see results there, but honestly, I think I've been good enough. I haven't eaten chocolate or crisps, or pizza and chips. I've turned down cakes and delicious desserts. I've watched my friends and family drink delicious alcohol and sipped a soda water and smiled (my partner had a rhubarb and ginger gin and tonic last night that smelt divine!). It's been hard and I've thought many times, what would be the harm in just one glass of wine, one uncompliant meal, but I've stayed on course and proud of that.  So tomorrow the reintros start. Except I don't think I'll be able to tell how I feel after 2 or 3 meals. So maybe I'll slow roll it instead. Maybe I'll stick 90% compliant, watch out for things that cause big problems, and introduce wine first. I need to remember my long term goal is weightloss, and this 30 days is just the first step. So even if wine doesn't cause a reaction, or chips are totally fine, I can't start having them every day or I'll get nowhere.

So yesterday was my diary reintro day. I very sadly left my half of the cheese I bought at Costco at my mom's house so no smoked gouda and manchego at lunch but I did have siggi's iclandic vanilla yogurt with Breakfast, dais cottage cheese with lunch and Haggen Daz coffee icecream/frozen yogurt and a bit of milk for a milkshake at dinner. I have to say of the three diary items the only one I would definitely have again was the Coffee Icecream with a splash of milk, as a treat the other two tasted good or fine but I didn't crave to have more after I finished them, which is weird I use to eat a ton of Siggi's yogurt. Don't get me wrong I though it tasted good but no "i have to have this again." I so far knock on wood haven't had to much of a reaction my stomach felt a bit heavier what I really noticed was by the end of the day my face appeared puffy and a bit red. So far I haven't experienced any gut problems but that might happen if I continue to eat dairy over a long period of time. With the exception of a treat or two here and there I think dairy will not be reintroduced to my diet on a daily basis. Two days of whole 30 and then I think I'm going to try nongluten grains next.

I decided to stop the reintro and head straight into round 2. I feel i need it and after this round i may start reintroduction. Honestly, i just feel too fabulous and after having gross gas after day 1 of introducing dairy, i just don't want to deal with it!! Anyone else staring another round? 

great job again folks!! 

16 minutes ago, NanSea said:

I decided to stop the reintro and head straight into round 2. I feel i need it and after this round i may start reintroduction. Honestly, i just feel too fabulous and after having gross gas after day 1 of introducing dairy, i just don't want to deal with it!! Anyone else staring another round? 

great job again folks!! 

I went back into round 2 after having a vodka with olives.  Which did not do well for me on the sugar test strip but was quite enjoyable while I had it.  Then I decided to do the 60 as I was really eating too many nuts and rx bars, sometimes 2 a day.  So now I am upping the fat intake and cutting down a bit on the potatoes which I also ate at least 2 x per day (sweet or regular). Increasing the fat, (avocado so far) has reduced my longing for rx bars so far today.  So I am day 35 today.....25 to go!  

10 hours ago, treeny_bash said:

Congrats on all your reintros, and commiserations for the ones that haven't gone too well.  Today is day 30 for me. I'm not going to lie and say I've had a perfect whole30. I've eaten out 6 times and had the best choices available to me, without checking that there were no uncompliant ingredients sneaked in. And i know that in some cases there definately were and I ate them anyway. I've eaten far too many nakd bars in the last week. I haven't eaten enough green or rainbow veg in the last week, my evening meals have been very potato heavy. I haven't drunk enough water, I haven't had enough sleep. Perhaps because of that or because I'm a quite overweight person, or because of other, unknown reasons, I've not had amazing NSVs. I still don't have any energy, I still have upset stomachs from time to time, I still get breakouts. I think that when I weigh and measure tomorrow I'll see results there, but honestly, I think I've been good enough. I haven't eaten chocolate or crisps, or pizza and chips. I've turned down cakes and delicious desserts. I've watched my friends and family drink delicious alcohol and sipped a soda water and smiled (my partner had a rhubarb and ginger gin and tonic last night that smelt divine!). It's been hard and I've thought many times, what would be the harm in just one glass of wine, one uncompliant meal, but I've stayed on course and proud of that.  So tomorrow the reintros start. Except I don't think I'll be able to tell how I feel after 2 or 3 meals. So maybe I'll slow roll it instead. Maybe I'll stick 90% compliant, watch out for things that cause big problems, and introduce wine first. I need to remember my long term goal is weightloss, and this 30 days is just the first step. So even if wine doesn't cause a reaction, or chips are totally fine, I can't start having them every day or I'll get nowhere.

Looks like you tried!  Eating out is almost impossible for me.  As you are supposed to start all over again if you have even a little of a non compliant food.  If you read the "It Starts with Food" there is a chapter about sticking to the whole 30 to the letter, no cheating, or start again.  So maybe if you start again, it might work?  As they say...it is not hard...quitting heroine is hard.  It is hard for me though, at times I love chocolate very much and therefor love the Chocolate sea salt RX bar, so it is an easy go to for me.  As a matter of fact, I am thinking about it right now.  So I will stop and try to do something else.  I do hope you won't give up! Treeny_bash!

Follow up on my strange wine rash:

I've been researching a bit and am thinking it might be a histamine intolerance. I was drinking Quiviria Zinfandel 2013 which has been aging for a while and is likely high in histamines. Here is what I've found: http://www.livestrong.com/article/481463-histamine-effects-of-drinking-wine/ 

Thanks for all the support everyone!

9 hours ago, NanSea said:

great job again folks!! 

Sometimes you just need more time.  That is me.  There are a few of us on this forum who have kept going for me at least another 30.  I am hoping to learn more and fine tune this W30 eating lifestyle in the next 30.  Welcoming you into the next 30.  

Thanks for all the updates. Since day 1 I had been logging my food intake and activity, and it became also a journal of my discoveries/NSVs, etc. After the first of two weeks of the antibiotic I needed after that infected tic bite, I had a lot of trouble with my stomach (diarrhea, blech). I am pretty sure it was from the antibiotic, although one of the times it happened I had had an extra fatty breakfast, which was delicious, but I got really sick, so it may have been on account of both, not sure. I felt so drained (literally drained of my nourishment! and energy) that I fell away from journaling, it's been over a week of no entries ...At any rate, I'm feeling so much better. I stayed totally compliant throughout the bouts of being sick, of course it was scary to eat, but I did well. I'm now taking a probiotic, and feeling good about staying the course as I finish the 30 days. Technically this is day 19, but feels like more because of the re-start...I'll go until at least April 15, which will be 60 days. Re-evaluate then. 

Currently focused on getting back to the journal, and like so many of you, on fine tuning the overall wellness with exercise, and meditation. I realize I am consistently inconsistent. I'm so, so much happier when I'm consistent! I also realize that I am capable of dedication to this program, so why not harness the same dedication to *regular* exercise/yoga/meditation? I feel ready to make that commitment to myself now that I have a good handle on the food part.

My favorite physical activity is to hike in my neighborhood, then come home all sweaty and blissed out to stretch and finally, sit for 15 minutes or so. Occasional weight lifting, and abs work 4-5 times/wk/occasionally all of this at the gym/gym fitness classes like pilates/zumba/yoga to mix it up. It's a harsh climate here in the summer/poor air quality in the summer, too, and that always trips me up. So when the heat and smog roll in, I will exercise at home indoors and also get to the gym more often. Tomorrow when I open up the journal I'll put a schedule together.

NSV today I baked cookies again (2nd time now) as a gift for someone, and I SO enjoyed the way it smelled, heavenly. I felt a solid self respect not to take a single taste.

Sometimes I get bored with my cooking, but there are so many recipes out there, it only takes a few minutes for me to find something online to spark me up and try something new. This is encouraging, eh?

Reading ISWF is really helping me to keep the commitment firm...like so many of you have said, I'm surprised by how really not interested I am in the verboten food groups. Oh! My brother turned me on to krautsource.com and I am going to take my first steps in making live cultured foods at home! I read to take it slow with introducing these kinds of food...do any of you make and eat your own sauerkraut-type things? If so, I'd love to hear your feedback and any tips you have.

Cheers to all

Day 31=results day! I've lost 8lbs which I'm pretty happy with. I roasted a chicken last night and baked some potatoes, so I'm set for the next few days in terms of throw together meals. Just need to be mindful of the non compliant things I'm reintroducing, and incredibly mindful of the effects they might have. Lunch today will be interesting, I was definately in a lunch rut last week and I don't currently have anything prepared to take in so I'll have to be a bit careful when it comes around. 

Thanks to Marjet for the words of encouragement. I think you have to be in the right mindset to do an extended w30, and I'm definately not there right now. I knew if I quit early then I'd never be able to do the program again, but I was incredibly resentful towards the end and feeling quite arbitrary about the whole plan. I'm just relieved to have gotten to this point, I'm honestly pretty shocked at how hard it was to say no stuff this time around! 

LadyLisbette, I have not tried to make sauerkraut myself, although I love it.  The one thing I take often now is Kombucha instead of a glass of wine.  This is also a fermented drink.  Try it, it is delicious and comes in tons of flavors.

I am in ReIntro... I introduced non-gluten grains on day 1 (oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa at meals 1,2, and 3). While I had no gut trouble, I was aware that I seemed to get hungry earlier; about 3 hours after both meal 1 and 2 I was thinking "when can I eat?!" (Normally I can go the 4-5 hours being satisfied.) And about an hour after dinner I had a munchy craving which I have not had since I began...and I was a salty snack person before. Anyhoo, I resisted the urge, ignored the craving, and was fine. So...I am not sure if grains satisfy me for less amount of time and potentially kick in my munchy craving.

Or is this psychological? With some upcoming outings and a trip, am feeling ready to be more "flexible" in my food choices. I am slightly weary of the effort this has taken, though it has been so worth it. 

Today is Day 4....legumes for me. Just finished bfast and added peanut butter to my apples. It was delicious! However, I was surprised that when I looked at the two different peanut butter jars I have .... one of them had sugar plus other non-compliant ingredients and the other was simply peanuts and salt. Guess what? The healthier one is the one I keep separate for my dog! So I ate my dog's peanut butter this morning. LOL. :rolleyes:

Oh...and Day 31 (or Day 1 of Reintro)my scale said I lost 4.5 pounds, which I was very happy with. I order ISWF; it came yesterday and having begun reading it to keep me committed during this reintro period. Also, I think I will go out today and buy myself a new pair of pants. Fun!

Yup I'm with you all on another 30. I ate pizza yesterday and that was a BAD BAD mistake. I have a terrible headache today. 

Ready for another go though! I would much rather feel good than like crap hahaha obviously!! 

9 hours ago, treeny_bash said:

Day 31=results day! I've lost 8lbs which I'm pretty happy with. I roasted a chicken last night and baked some potatoes, so I'm set for the next few days in terms of throw together meals. Just need to be mindful of the non compliant things I'm reintroducing, and incredibly mindful of the effects they might have. Lunch today will be interesting, I was definately in a lunch rut last week and I don't currently have anything prepared to take in so I'll have to be a bit careful when it comes around. 

Thanks to Marjet for the words of encouragement. I think you have to be in the right mindset to do an extended w30, and I'm definately not there right now. I knew if I quit early then I'd never be able to do the program again, but I was incredibly resentful towards the end and feeling quite arbitrary about the whole plan. I'm just relieved to have gotten to this point, I'm honestly pretty shocked at how hard it was to say no stuff this time around! 

Congratulations, that's really impressive! I have been grateful for the honesty of your posts, and can really relate to the gigantic change that this plan represents, and the great effort it takes to stick with it and form new habits. It isn't easy, but you have done a great job, and have also been really honest in reflecting on the challenges. That inspired me to get to my journal and do the same thing, and not "sleep at the wheel". I hope you are giving yourself a lot of credit. 

In the past, what have been some good lunches that you like? What are your favorite meals? Can you eat a leftover of something you like? 

Archived