FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

2 hours ago, Marjet said:

LadyLisbette, I have not tried to make sauerkraut myself, although I love it.  The one thing I take often now is Kombucha instead of a glass of wine.  This is also a fermented drink.  Try it, it is delicious and comes in tons of flavors.

It's funny, I consider myself an adventurous eater, but I have been shy about kombucha, and I'm not sure why. Ok! I will look into it, thanks!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, LadyLisbette said:

Congratulations, that's really impressive! I have been grateful for the honesty of your posts, and can really relate to the gigantic change that this plan represents, and the great effort it takes to stick with it and form new habits. It isn't easy, but you have done a great job, and have also been really honest in reflecting on the challenges. That inspired me to get to my journal and do the same thing, and not "sleep at the wheel". I hope you are giving yourself a lot of credit. 

In the past, what have been some good lunches that you like? What are your favorite meals? Can you eat a leftover of something you like? 

LadyLisbette, what a lovely post, thank you so much! I'm touched that I inspired you to keep track of your highs and lows. I am pretty proud that I made it to the end.

I went to the staff canteen for lunch, they had a chicken shwarma served with couscous and cabbage/carrots/onions. So I guess I've jumped straight in with gluten grains (the one I know I have problems with). So far it's not too bad, although I've got terrible breath from the raw onions in the veg mix, and a very mild stomach discomfort. I'm quite sleepy too, but that's probably more due to lack of sleep than anything else. I don't really want to eat more wheat tonight, or carbs really, so I might just pick up some veg and have a chicken stirfry tonight. I've got chicken stock in the slow cooker, so I'll make some soup too if that's done.

For the next 2 weeks my shift pattern at work is moving from 10am-6pm to 8:30am-4:30pm so I'll be getting up a lot earlier, but finishing work a lot earlier, so I'll be trying to walk home from work (around an hour) in the evenings which I'm really looking forward to.

The hotel we stayed in on Saturday night left out chocolates and a bottle of wine, which we brought home with us. Might have to sneak in chocolate and wine into my slow rolled reintro very soon....

Finally getting a chance to post.  I'm down 4 lbs but I was pretty restrictive two weeks before I started and I'm almost down a total of 7 total - which I'm very happy with.  I started a new W30 today.  I waited until yesterday to try to add anything.  We went to a pancake breakfast so I had pancakes with real maple syrup and sausage patties.  Had a few cramps in my stomach but that was it.  Then worked on a project for almost six hours and we decided to order pizza.  Nansea..I'm with you.  No headache but heavy bloated stomach and this morning I have lovely hives on my face.  Definitely was NOT a good idea.  I have at least 25 lbs I want to lose and I feel so much better following the limitation.  I will be much more careful and SLOWER in my introduction when I do get there but for now - I'm again W30.  Just received ISWF and hope to begin reading it tonight.  I have loved this group and hope we can continue to share and support each other.

I have to say we LOVE the butternut squash soup and the classic chili recipe in the W30 book.  I did add sliced black olives and some roasted spaghetti squash to the chili and it is soooo good and makes enough for leftovers too! 

58 minutes ago, 4Donna said:

I have to say we LOVE the butternut squash soup and the classic chili recipe in the W30 book.  I did add sliced black olives and some roasted spaghetti squash to the chili and it is soooo good and makes enough for leftovers too! 

Did someone say Butternut Squash Soup??  I absolutely LOVE it too! So very good, especially when I roast my own squash and full fat coconut milk in the blender until its super smooth. I've made it with store bought packaged squash too and it wasn't nearly as flavorful.  I sprinkle some (compliant) bacon on top and cant believe how good it is.  It will be my go -to meal when I am old and have no teeth to chew anything. I will suck it through a straw... :D

Congratulations to each and every one of you for completing your W30! When I started this February 1 starters thread, I knew we would have fun, and encourage and share and make it through. Proud of each of you. Looking forward to continuing on here...

23 hours ago, samnkelli said:

Did someone say Butternut Squash Soup??  I absolutely LOVE it too! So very good, especially when I roast my own squash and full fat coconut milk in the blender until its super smooth. I've made it with store bought packaged squash too and it wasn't nearly as flavorful.  I sprinkle some (compliant) bacon on top and cant believe how good it is.  It will be my go -to meal when I am old and have no teeth to chew anything. I will suck it through a straw... :D

Congratulations to each and every one of you for completing your W30! When I started this February 1 starters thread, I knew we would have fun, and encourage and share and make it through. Proud of each of you. Looking forward to continuing on here...

I love butternut squash soup too, but somehow, i have not made any, so thanks for reminding me!! 

Shopping for avocado oil recently at my local grocery store I spied Epic Beef Tallow, grass fed. I had never even heard of it, but sensed I was onto something good. Have any of you used this? If so, how do you use it, please do tell.

Last night I cooked beef stew in it, and this morning my vegetable scramble. Delicious! I read online that it's a marvelous skin cream! It's celebrated for treating eczema, and also as an anti-aging skin cream. Has anyone tried it?

I'm going to make a recipe I found online (adds olive oil and essential oil) for my own skin cream, and will report back.

This morning I told a work friend who I thought would be excited to hear about it, she's a cattle rancher's daughter. She made a face and said she would never put beef tallow on her face because the dogs would chase her around all day. Isn't that funny. 

I'm a city girl in a country setting. Anyway, it's fun to try something new. I always liked the idea of only putting on your skin what was safe enough to put in your belly, but besides coconut oil, which doesn't work for me, I've never heard of anything before I might want to put on my face....Do any of you put other food grade things on your face? 

Hello all,

My 30 days are up but I've been continuing on the whole 30 train. I'm off to Germany early tomorrow morning 3:30 a.m and looking forward to trying some re-introductions ( but only if I fancy it )

I thought your post was interesting about food on ure face :-) I have used products on my hair once - egg I think? I always wanna try the coconut oil on my hair or body - think it would be too great for my face.

I know some of you have mentioned it in previous posts but where are you all from? I love this group ;-) 

happy eating everyone x

I love Boomcotton by Cindy Joseph, it is a product made from organic jojoba oil, witch hazel extract, beeswax with propolis & pollen, shea butter, wilelaiki, honey and vit e oil.  Its amazing, i love what it does for my skin!  Google it, she has a few different products, my facs are boom cotton and the color sticks

3 hours ago, Marjet said:

I love Boomcotton by Cindy Joseph, it is a product made from organic jojoba oil, witch hazel extract, beeswax with propolis & pollen, shea butter, wilelaiki, honey and vit e oil.  Its amazing, i love what it does for my skin!  Google it, she has a few different products, my facs are boom cotton and the color sticks

Oops I meant to say my faves!

3 hours ago, Marjet said:

Thanks! I'll look that up!

On 3/6/2017 at 7:17 AM, Marjet said:

LadyLisbette, I have not tried to make sauerkraut myself, although I love it.  The one thing I take often now is Kombucha instead of a glass of wine.  This is also a fermented drink.  Try it, it is delicious and comes in tons of flavors.

Marjet, what brand and flavor of Kombucha do you like best?? Im going to try some and have read some brands/flavors are downright awful. 

Please share!

Hello Everyone

I am on day 36 and the last two days I think were one of my hardest days yet.  I was just hungry and had the munchies a little bit of a headache.  I wanted some sugar.  That sugar dragon was definitely visiting me.  I have been working the last about 10 days on what size meals I needed to eat to keep me satisfied for the 4 to 5 hour stretch without eating too much.  Well I must have cut back just a little to much.  I picked up eating last night added additional yams and this morning am feeling a little better now.  So glad I decided to go the extra 30 so I could get some of this stuff figured out.  Put in the crock pot a pot roast and will add a yam to that tonight.  

I don't put really anything on my face I just go natural.  Think it works for me.

22 minutes ago, Liz's Journey said:

Hello Everyone

I am on day 36 and the last two days I think were one of my hardest days yet.  I was just hungry and had the munchies a little bit of a headache.  I wanted some sugar.  That sugar dragon was definitely visiting me.  I have been working the last about 10 days on what size meals I needed to eat to keep me satisfied for the 4 to 5 hour stretch without eating too much.  Well I must have cut back just a little to much.  I picked up eating last night added additional yams and this morning am feeling a little better now.  So glad I decided to go the extra 30 so I could get some of this stuff figured out.  Put in the crock pot a pot roast and will add a yam to that tonight.  

I don't put really anything on my face I just go natural.  Think it works for me.

I had a rough few days, too. For two days I only ate twice per day (a late breakfast and an early dinner) and I woke up this morning with a slight headache, really hungry, knowing that those two days were off balance, and needing to get my act together. I wanted to do a morning hike but it was more urgent to make a fresh batch of oven roasted vegetables (I ran out yesterday but was too tired and weak to cook last night) and make myself a decent meal, veg and salmon. So that took quite a bit of time, but I feel a lot better. The takeaway is being more serious with my time management and being prepared. It's like a marathon, I have to pace myself and be consistent...like you, Liz, when I was in that vulnerable state the Sugar Dragon did emerge.

I have pork chops ready to go for tonight, and will shop after work for more vegetables, adding beets, and for fruit, adding melon and berries. I noticed in ISWF that the recommended fruits do not include oranges, or bananas...my two go to's, though I have been very conservative with all fruit, including bananas, whereas I used to eat a banana every day, sometimes 2. Mostly I've eaten oranges for fruit on this plan, because they are grown here in abundance and are in season right now. I guess Hartwig would approve of that, but still I want to branch out and get some variety.

Last night in ISWF I finally got to the part about beef tallow - now in the known universe for me. I made my face cream this morning while the veg were roasting, and it's cooling, and hardening up, can't wait to try it. I put a little raw tallow on the back of my hand, and it smelled like hamburger, but absorbed nicely and then the odor was gone.

Liz, nothing on your face at all, that's a lovely simplicity. It goes to show you that "supposed to's" are often bogus, and better to discover for ourselves what is right for us.

Today is day 30 + 4 and although I've not done a proper reintro, I have some observations. Of the food I've eaten, the only things I've really craved was the wine (I had a glass on Monday night and 3 glasses last night). I had some chocolates on Monday night too, but there were 4 in the box that I shared with OH and once they were gone I was ok to leave it at that. The reason I haven't eaten well is lack of planning more than anything else. I've eaten non compliant food not because I craved it and not because I enjoyed it more, but because it was there. So Monday there was couscous with my chicken shwarma, Tuesday I had buttermilk chicken, chips and ceaser salad (and had a horrible afternoon where the stress nearly made me cry - don't know if that's from the small amount of dairy or not), and dinner at a friends on Tuesday night with non compliant soup, crackers, houmous, pate and chartusiere. Yesterday was the worst, my company laid on sandwiches for a lunch time meeting and within 30 mins I had stomach cramps. Bread is definately off the table and I need to remember that. I also need to plan better, and prepare lunches too. Last night I had some drinks after work, the first glass of wine was beautiful, the second was good and the third kinda meh. I enjoy getting drunk with my friends once in a while, and that's something that's totally worth it, but I took myself home early last night and heated up some pre prepped chicken and potato rather than staying out too late. Got a killer headache this morning but just got to get through today and tomorrow before I can take some time this weekend to get organised. My kitchen is a mess - i have to wash some pans before I can make breakfast so I'd better go get on that now. Hope everyone is doing well,  speak soon x

Yesterday was very hard for me.  I decided to have a chill day after being crazy busy doing house chores, painting outside, cooking 3 meals etc.  I barely made it through the day trying to be compliant, but I did eat 2.5 rx bars..one after dinner.  And I had too many potatoes with dinner too.  Although all the rest of the meals were compliant, I believe there could have been more fresh vegetables.  Today is day 39, I am going to do groceries now and when I get back, make lunch and go for a motorcycle ride with my husband, it is a gorgeous day here in the Blueridge.  Samnkelli... I drink different Kombucha's ...GT's Lavender love and Bilberry Blessing are yum.  I have had no "awful" ones so far, but it might be my taste!

It seems like now that we are no longer newbies at this, we are all figuring out how to make it work for the long-er haul...it seems like adjusting to having a pallet for this kind of the food is not the issue as much as being consistently organized/prepared...at least that is *certainly* true for me! I've had a low grade headache for a few days and hope it is not the old menstrual headache, but a coincidence because I am having a hard time eating 3x, and probably under-eating a little bit....

I know we can do the fine tuning...it seems like there is no going back to old, unconscious ways...my mom, a veteran 70s activist, used to talk about "responsibility to knowledge" and that keeps coming up for me. I know too much, we all do now!

NanSea, thanks for the link to the eggroll in a bowl, that looks so good! I thought that sesame oil was verboten, but I just looked it up, and it looks like if it's cold pressed, and used raw, not cooked, that's ok....so, thanks, I learned something. I LOVE sesame oil, and I wasn't going to allow myself....= ) Meanwhile, it looks to me like this recipe calls for stirring in the sesame oil, and then adding eggs to scramble at a high heat...maybe a moderator will chime in here, but that looks non-compliant to me...I should do some more research, but now I have to dash! Happy end of week, everyone!!

NanSea - that does look wonderful - I just wrote the recipe down and can't wait to try it.  I just got my bloodwork in and my cholesterol is a little high. (total 239).  Of course the Dr. wants me to take drugs but I respectfully declined.  I know I can get it in the limits it should be and probably even better but continuing to follow this whole 30 AND the biggie for me is to incorporate more activity.  I agree the planning - prepping and being organized is the biggest battle.  week before last I did a ton on Sunday - this week hardly any and I'm suffering for it too.  So this weekend will be more organized and prep for sure.  I only had my planned "off program" on Sunday but just haven't gotten back to my focus; almost like I need a specific beginning and ending date.  So I think I'm making tomorrow my new whole 30 start date!

I so appreciate the suggestions - recipes and sharing and don't want to leave this group!  Thanks so much...

I just wanted to share an unexpected reaction during my reintroduction phase. Yesterday I reintroduced non-gluten grains. I had oatmeal at breakfast, some quinoa at lunch, and corn with dinner. The only thing I noticed was a very full feeling. Today I went to my normal spin (indoor cycling) class. I had much more energy than I had during my whole 30, and burned almost twice as many calories!

I generally have a take it or leave attitude towards breads & pastas, but I think the oatmeal (or a morning quinoa porridge) may become a part of my diet on cardio workout days. Also, I have not had any negative reactions to the reintroduction of alcohol or legumes.

I love reading about everyone else's experiences. I find each and every poster inspirational. Thank you!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, ABetterMe said:

I just wanted to share an unexpected reaction during my reintroduction phase. Yesterday I reintroduced non-gluten grains. I had oatmeal at breakfast, some quinoa at lunch, and corn with dinner. The only thing I noticed was a very full feeling. Today I went to my normal spin (indoor cycling) class. I had much more energy than I had during my whole 30, and burned almost twice as many calories!

I generally have a take it or leave attitude towards breads & pastas, but I think the oatmeal (or a morning quinoa porridge) may become a part of my diet on cardio workout days. Also, I have not had any negative reactions to the reintroduction of alcohol or legumes.

I love reading about everyone else's experiences. I find each and every poster inspirational. Thank you!

Your experience reminds me of high school, before big games we would have Pasta nights at coaches house and "carb up" so as to get you a lot of energy for the game the next day. I wonder if it would better for you to eat the non gluten grains the night before at dinne. If you eat it the same day as the your spin class you might not get the same effect you experienced this time around.

So I've fallen away from the traditional reintroduction timeline ... I've did the diary day and whole30'd for two days and then I forgot to cook the rice and quinoa and than had a few crazy days at work and school so I just decided to continue whole 30 as I still had enough prepped compliant food to get me through the week .... But tomorrow night I'm going to my companies annual dinner the Silverball and will be partaking in some alcohol and totally none compliant food, appetizers here I come. We'll see how I feel on Sunday.... I think I'm going to continue to eat whole 30 maybe try reintroducing non gluten grains on their own some time next week after a few days of whole 30 compliant eating after my day of debauchery Saturday :D

I am sick today and yesterday something is going around.  Even the thought of food makes me nauseous.  I have not ate since last night I am thinking of drinking some chicken broth.  Hopefully I will feel better soon and start enjoying everyone's post.  I don't feel like doing anything.  Such Fun!!!!!

Had an absolutely terrible few days food wise, and sufferring for it now. Entirely due to non planning and very little to do with cravings (apart from an unfortunate incident with a work birthday and some boxes of mini rolls!) Cumulated in pizza last night and I feel awful today (it's 4am on Saturday morning and I just can't sleep, my sinus are blocked, my mouth feels like something died in it,  etc). I'm meeting some friends for drinks today but will do a cookup tomorrow and prep protein and veg for the week and do 99% compliance next week. My excuse is 2 weekends away in a row and pre-menstrual exhaustion. I had chicken and potatoes in the fridge for the week, but not enough else to quickly throw together lunch and dinner every day, so need to plan and prep better this week. It's not hard to eat compliant if you're organised, and the food is good.

Hope others are doing better than me!

Hi all,

Arrived in Berlin on Wednesday. I love this city - been a fair few times and I never fail to see and experience new things.

On this day I did stay true to the whole 30 eating principles and also used my time to exercise - biking and I also jogged - something I haven't done for a long time! I also managed to do some lunges and sit-ups. I'm gonna be feeling the pain tomorrow!!! My body clock was a bit out of wack as I had to get up at 3:30 but I got through it. 

Will report more when I have time - I had cake but my oh my was it worth it. 

If you haven't done so well just jump in where you are and start again. You know what you have to do to feel good again :-) 

sorry you're feeling as rough as a badger bum Liz's journey

Happy eating everyone x

20 hours ago, Liz's Journey said:

I am sick today and yesterday something is going around.  Even the thought of food makes me nauseous.  I have not ate since last night I am thinking of drinking some chicken broth.  Hopefully I will feel better soon and start enjoying everyone's post.  I don't feel like doing anything.  Such Fun!!!!!

Liz, are you feeling better? Did you get your chicken broth, and lay low and take care? Hope you're perking up...

I'm just keepin' on keepin' in my neck of the woods...feeling set for the better part of next week with some food prepped, and more ready to go. To Treeny's point about trouble with lunch...I was inspired, I should say my mouth watered when I read somewhere Melissa referring to salad greens with beets, chicken breast, walnuts. My hubs doesn't eat salad, so I usually don't bother with greens (though I used to put mountains of greens or kale in my green drinks which I have let go on the program), and that salad sounded so refreshing! So I'm ready for that, beets marinating in balsamic vinegar (ooh, Alice Waters!)

Like HedgeHog (guten morgen!!), I've got a little momentum with exercise, will try to conjure up my inner-personal-trainer when it comes to abs work! 

Treeny, 2 weekends away in a row does sound challenging, you must be glad to be home this weekend, eh?

Sweet day, all (not that kind of sweet, lol)

Archived