FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

1 hour ago, LadyLisbette said:

Liz, are you feeling better? Did you get your chicken broth, and lay low and take care? Hope you're perking up...

I'm just keepin' on keepin' in my neck of the woods...feeling set for the better part of next week with some food prepped, and more ready to go. To Treeny's point about trouble with lunch...I was inspired, I should say my mouth watered when I read somewhere Melissa referring to salad greens with beets, chicken breast, walnuts. My hubs doesn't eat salad, so I usually don't bother with greens (though I used to put mountains of greens or kale in my green drinks which I have let go on the program), and that salad sounded so refreshing! So I'm ready for that, beets marinating in balsamic vinegar (ooh, Alice Waters!)

Like HedgeHog (guten morgen!!), I've got a little momentum with exercise, will try to conjure up my inner-personal-trainer when it comes to abs work! 

Treeny, 2 weekends away in a row does sound challenging, you must be glad to be home this weekend, eh?

Sweet day, all (not that kind of sweet, lol)

Binging on Santa Clarita Diet with Drew Barrymore...lol.  Try it!  It will stop any hunger pains...

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Quick recap 

Wednesday - arrive in berlin

Thursday

Meal 1 -compliant

Meal 2 - cake ( it was the cake I had been thinking about and I knew I would go off plan for this) it was chocolate but didn't taste fatty or bad and it was made from dark chocolate. I had 1/3 and my oh had the rest.

Meal 3 - German meal not compliant and beer

So I had a blow out - I felt ok on Thursday but very sluggish on Friday and had a big afternoon sleep. 

Friday mostly compliant except beer. I jogged along the Berlin Wall and then from the Brandenburg gate to the Victory column - less than 5 miles but it's a start. 

Today - I was very niggly today (mardy). I did bike 16 miles but reluctantly - I also had Russian dumplings.

Before I came here I knew I was going to have the cake and the dumplings and perhaps a beer (don't drink usually - only when I'm here ) but I think doing this left me wide open to other triggers #notetoself 

I go home tomorrow and intend to be compliant all day - defiantly    when I return home. 

So that's me all caught up. I intend to stay compliant and get back on the whole 30 for the rest of March - no more introductions for me! X 

Happy eating everyone x

image.jpg

Hello all,

Where has everyone gone? I hope you are all well.

Back from Germany and eating whole 30 again. I have been tempted to stray but staying compliant for a while longer.

Let me know how everyone is getting on.

Happy eating everyone :-) x 

Welcome back Hedgehog8. Your ventures in Germany sounded fun and eventful.  Kind of a bummer you could not eat anything you wanted while traveling and still have all that energy.  Guess that is a fact of life.  I travel and interested in your adventures to give me ideas and inspiration on how to work through healthy eating and still enjoy the various cusines of the countries I am in.  Thanks for sharing

LadyLisbette I am so happy you are keeping on and having a good time.  You are helping me keeping on going.  There are just a few of us doing the W30 2X back to back with no reintros.  The second 30 days seems harder than the first so having you here doing well is really helpful.  

Well my last post I announced I was sick.  I did not eat for about 2 and 1/2 days.  I stayed compliant though drank unsweetened apple juice and chicken stock, with added olive oil. I ate a banana too that was a big deal.  My stomach is better and now on my forth meal without any problems so I think I am back to normal.  I was questioning if I should stay on this extended 30 days in the depths of my stomach issues but now I am back to I love eating this way.  Oh My!  

Thanks for your concerns.  I am back and ready to learn and share with everyone.  

Day 41

Hi all. Glad to hear everyone is keeping up and hanging in there. 

Hedgehog8, sounds like you had a great trip!! Jogging along the Berlin wall - that sounds amazing! :)

Glad you are on the mend, Liz's Journey. Ugh nothing worse than a stomach bug. 

Marjet, I tried Kombucha and LOVE it! I got a mango and a berry flavor (GT brand) and cant believe I didn't try them before. The kid at Whole Foods told me to ease into it as they can be an acquired taste. I jumped right in and am enjoying them right off the bat.

Speaking of Whole Foods, went there to pick up a few specialty items that a paleo blogger that I follow has recommended -- ended up spending $100 on two bags of groceries. Ugh, I love that place but my lord, some things are so expensive!  I am trying a vegan/paleo/non-dairy nacho cheese sauce made by a local company called The Honest Stand - I'm not a big cheese person but like to have tacos/nachos and have heard the cheese sauce is really good. They also make blue cheese sauce, smoked cheese sauce and a couple others. I've also found that using plantain chips instead of chips aren't my thing. Whole Foods sells the brand Siete that makes incredibly yummy casava tortillas and they just started selling the Siete chips too.  Also discovered a gluten free cocoa rice cereal that I have been nibbling on -- just like rice krispys and brand is Mom's Best. No weird ingredients and I found a recipe to make rice krispy treats with them. I may be venturing into dangerous territory with those. 

Hope everyone is doing well :)

Kelli

Hello friends,

So nice to see your updates -- Liz, so glad you are on the mend. I appreciated seeing what you ate while you were sick, it gave me ideas for if/when I'm in the same boat. Congrats on getting through that and staying compliant! Hi HedgeHog! Hi Kelli -- thanks for all the tips! That all sounds very, very yummy! Kombucha still on my list of "to try"...meanwhile, the sauerkraut is fermenting on my counter!

Day 28 here. I've finished ISWF but mostly saving the re-intro and post-reintro for later...what a life-changer, all of this information. I'm so grateful.

Last night's dream is one for the journal! It tells me I'm processing my emotional relationship with food/sugar...dreamed of mom (my dear friend, who has long since passed to the other side, and who shared with me her sugar addiction starting from the womb, and who would rather do anything besides cook much less eat vegetables), who was multi-tasking at the stove (this was unheard of in real life!!!), merrily cooking up broths and vegetables! LOL. My dear mother. The message is that our bond is made of more than sugar. I can be healthy and detached from sugar and still be connected with her. She's right there with me. It's the most pleasant, amusing, and life-affirming dream of her since she passed away. Deep, happy sigh.

I've still been eating two meals a day about half of the time, sometimes starting with a pre-work out egg-whites scramble, then later meal 1, and evening meal with my husband or sometimes earlier. This seems to be working for me, but sometimes I do feel hungry afterwards, like last night for example I still felt hungry after dinner...I need to add a little more protein and see if that helps, and if not, add a little more fat....knowing myself it's possible I'm subconsciously under-eating with a goal of losing weight that way, or it's possible that this is just what works for me....what's stopping me from eating a meal between the first and third? My schedule is irregular, different every day, sometimes I'm away from home for 6 hours, sometimes I work only at home. I'm still fine tuning...

NSV: Somewhere around week 2, I cold-turkeyed off of my over-the-counter allergy meds (daily nasal spray AND a zyrtec), just to see, and I am FINE! No sore throat! No nasal yuckiness, I feel clear as a BELL! WOO HOO!! This is beyond what I was even hoping for. Freedom from these drugs, a sure sign that my gut is healing, the immune system is, what, enhanced? More available to deal with the particulates that were bothering me? 

It seems all the prep, cooking is just becoming the new normal. What used to be an unreasonable amount of meat in the refrigerator is cooked and gone, time and time again.

I've been enjoying wearing jeans I haven't been able to zip in over a year. I'm trying to just stay the course and not get impatient, and also not get too pleased with myself because historically that's when I reward myself. In fact, yesterday I was at the grocery store for pork chops and I was hungry (b/c i skipped my 2nd meal and was rushing home to cook an early dinner!), cruising the bakery isle, looking at brownie mixes. "What would my husband like for me to bake for him?" Then I realized, that's the sneaky sugar dragon speaking!!! So I laughed and asked myself who did I think I was fooling, anyway? Score another point for W30 dragon slayer me.

BTW the beef tallow/avocado oil face cream is fantastic! I've never touched my face before and thought, "healthy tissue"...it was always a matter of how soft/not soft it felt...but now it feels nourished. I like it. It does smell a little beefy, so I added grapefruit and lemongrass essential oils, and I add a little extra of those around my hairline, though I really doubt anyone can smell the tallow. I feel like my skin is brighter and healthier from the nutrition, the exercise, and the nourishing cream.

Stay in touch, all, so nice to read your posts!

thanks for the well wishes.  

Wow LadyLisbette - what a break through on emotional eating to have the dream on your Mom.  She probably is very proud of you right now fixing all the healthy food.  

This afternoon I was thinking similar to passing the brownie aisle.  I was driving in the car thinking I should stop off and pick up some apples and make my husband an Apple Pie on "Pie Day".  Then I thought oh Chocolate Cake would be good too.  Then I realized my husband likes Pie not cake and my sugar dragon was trying to get me to bake something sweet.  Well I cut that dragon off.  Then tonight I pigged out on dried Mangos.  I have decided that was not smart and really just another attack by the sugar dragon.  If the sugar dragon does not behave the Mangos are just going to have to leave the house......

I just realized I might be having some dragon issues with all the applejuice I drank while I could not eat.  I was thinking it was good to get something in me but it might have brought up my sugar dragon more than I realized.  Hmm going to have to keep that in mind.....

Day 42 and keep on learning.  

8 hours ago, Liz's Journey said:

Wow LadyLisbette - what a break through on emotional eating to have the dream on your Mom.  She probably is very proud of you right now fixing all the healthy food.  

This afternoon I was thinking similar to passing the brownie aisle.  I was driving in the car thinking I should stop off and pick up some apples and make my husband an Apple Pie on "Pie Day".  Then I thought oh Chocolate Cake would be good too.  Then I realized my husband likes Pie not cake and my sugar dragon was trying to get me to bake something sweet.  Well I cut that dragon off.  Then tonight I pigged out on dried Mangos.  I have decided that was not smart and really just another attack by the sugar dragon.  If the sugar dragon does not behave the Mangos are just going to have to leave the house......

I just realized I might be having some dragon issues with all the applejuice I drank while I could not eat.  I was thinking it was good to get something in me but it might have brought up my sugar dragon more than I realized.  Hmm going to have to keep that in mind.....

Thanks, Liz, that's nice of you to say - the dream was really meaningful for me. My husband listened but not sure he really gets it the way my W30-compatriots do.... As for your pie vs. cake thing, that made me laugh out loud! Go, dragonslayer!

Also, it's funny that you mention apple juice. When I'm ready for re-intro, I'd like to add a splash of organic apple juice to my water "cocktail"....since starting the program, I prepare my day's worth of water (usually 3 quarts, but now that it's warm again and I'm exercising more I'm up to 4 quarts) with a little ACV, juice of lemon, and sometimes some fresh ginger tea, trying to get a yummy Kevita-style tonic throughout the day. How many times I have started to reach for apple juice to sweeten up that "cocktail"....but knowing me, it will totally get me revved up for more sugar. Yeah, it's a powerful thing, and that is exactly why I know I need more than 30 days... If you decide to nix the mangoes from the house, you have my full support - just for a little while longer!

I have done with raisins what you did last night with mangoes. I keep thinking about the re-wiring of the brain...and seeing myself as the person who says, "that's too sweet for me", words that have never crossed my lips before.

Shopping today, will get some kombucha!!! Have a lovely day, all...

15 hours ago, Liz's Journey said:

Thanks, Liz, that's nice of you to say - the dream was really meaningful for me. My husband listened but not sure he really gets it the way my W30-compatriots do.... As for your pie vs. cake thing, that made me laugh out loud! Go, dragonslayer!

Also, it's funny that you mention apple juice. When I'm ready for re-intro, I'd like to add a splash of organic apple juice to my water "cocktail"....since starting the program, I prepare my day's worth of water (usually 3 quarts, but now that it's warm again and I'm exercising more I'm up to 4 quarts) with a little ACV, juice of lemon, and sometimes some fresh ginger tea, trying to get a yummy Kevita-style tonic throughout the day. How many times I have started to reach for apple juice to sweeten up that "cocktail"....but knowing me, it will totally get me revved up for more sugar. Yeah, it's a powerful thing, and that is exactly why I know I need more than 30 days... If you decide to nix the mangoes from the house, you have my full support - just for a little while longer!

I have done with raisins what you did last night with mangoes. I keep thinking about the re-wiring of the brain...and seeing myself as the person who says, "that's too sweet for me", words that have never crossed my lips before.

Shopping today, will get some kombucha!!! Have a lovely day, all...

LadyLisbette  glad I could make you laugh.  I am now working on dealing with Mango issue.  Doing okay but it is in my brain.  I compromised and ate a mandarin orange.  Yes I agree with you this is exactly why I needed 60 days.  I really feel the 30 days you just start to get the hang of it then you start reintro.  With going the 60 days you really start working some issues.   Raisins are an issue for me too but I have none in the house today.  

What is ACV that you put in your water.  I usually just drink plain water but tonight I had extra lemon juice after I made Mayo so added it to my water.  I have added ginger before and enjoy that taste also.  

Little concerned about the dropping off of people from the first 30 days.  I was wanting to see more reintro experiences especially a few weeks into reintro.  

LadyLisbette, HedgeHog8 and SamnKelli am hoping you will stay with me here it is nice to hear from others and we have quite a few more days to go.  

7 hours ago, Liz's Journey said:

LadyLisbette  glad I could make you laugh.  I am now working on dealing with Mango issue.  Doing okay but it is in my brain.  I compromised and ate a mandarin orange.  Yes I agree with you this is exactly why I needed 60 days.  I really feel the 30 days you just start to get the hang of it then you start reintro.  With going the 60 days you really start working some issues.   Raisins are an issue for me too but I have none in the house today.  

What is ACV that you put in your water.  I usually just drink plain water but tonight I had extra lemon juice after I made Mayo so added it to my water.  I have added ginger before and enjoy that taste also.  

Little concerned about the dropping off of people from the first 30 days.  I was wanting to see more reintro experiences especially a few weeks into reintro.  

LadyLisbette, HedgeHog8 and SamnKelli am hoping you will stay with me here it is nice to hear from others and we have quite a few more days to go.  

I am still here too, day 45 today!   LadyLisbette, i am a little confused about the Mango and Manderine orange, as I thought you can have all fruits!  Are you talking about reintro?  

I have issues with snacking in between meals, like before, eating too many macadamian nuts and rx bars!  I guess I still crave the sweet thing as the bars with a coffee are so satisfying.  I keep saying to my husband, let's do a Whole45, but he says 'No, lets finish the Whole 60!  So thankful for his support.

Sleep gets totally interrupted by my cat Mango who keeps running over me for attention, he sleeps during the day and gets busy at night.  I tried making our room totally dark, no electronics an hour before sleeping time and love sleeping but continue to get woken up by this loving beast!  Tonight we will lock him downstairs, but am afraid we tried that before and wake up from his meowing and picking at the door to get out.  He is 14 years old, its nothing new.  Its been years of a struggle and sleep interruption, kind of like a nightmare.  It affects my sugar levels being diabetic.  A continuing struggle between us....

There!  You asked for a post and you got mine!!  

I started reading Rob Wolfe's book, the end of overeating.  It was referenced several times in the last pages of the ISWF book!  It's another great read!

7 hours ago, Liz's Journey said:

Liz, I'm still lurking but I'm afraid I don't have much reintro experience since mine hasn't gone especially well. I've had a fair amount of alcohol in the last week and a half, I've eaten a fair amount of non-compliant food but I haven't had any dramatic reactions. I get a rash from alcohol (I can't remember who it was that got that the other day) but I've always known that, and I'm afraid it is "worth it" for me. I've come down with a nasty cold which is driving my eating choices a lot this week and I'm drinking a very sweet medicated drink to help with that - I don't think it's awoken a sugar dragon, I'm really not enjoying the sweetness and in fact the thought of having more sweet food is not appealing. I'm really craving stodgy carbs though, and it's something I've been giving into. I've been eating meat and potatoes for dinner with not much veg, and I'm really low on energy. I know I need to turn things around, reintroduce more colourful veg and prep and plan more meals, hopefully I'll find some time and energy this weekend to do that. I am eating a lot more nakd bars than I should be, and I had a binge on raisins last night (which made me feel quite unwell). I'm very impressed that some of you are still going, I wish I had your strength and motivation - and I'm sure your results will be well worth it!

Liz, ACV=apple cider vinegar (Bragg's organic raw unfiltered is best). It's kind of trendy right now, and for me the jury is out on the benefits. Like you, for years I took my water straight, then I learned to add some lemon in the morning as a liver tonic. So for almost ten years I have started with a pint of fresh water first thing, then brush, then come back and take another pint of water with the juice of 1/2 a lemon. You want to brush first because the acidity of the lemon (or vinegar) can soften the enamel. The ph gets restored pretty quickly, but some people are sensitive, so it's best to brush first, then you don't have to worry about it. The liver works hard filtering and cleaning the blood all night while we sleep so taking the lemon first thing in the morning is ideal. In the last few years this ACV thing has been all the rage and I've always thought, "meh, I've got my lemon, I'm good thanks" but when I started W30 I decided to make my water extra special, so I'm experimenting and giving myself some extra "pleasure" and mix it up - it's been kind of fun. ACV is more convenient than lemon because the bottle is right there on the counter....but I still favor the ritual of squeezing a nice sour lemon into my water...as for how much ACV I'm more conservative with it than some others I know, just a tsp/quart but you could play with it if you wanted to and read a lot more online.

Marjet, we were commiserating on dried fruits bringing out the sugar dragon! Liz's dried mangoes, and my raisins...= ) I have flirted (once or twice) with danger by eating a small handful of raisins while I was cooking. Bad girl, I know!....I keep them well out of sight, and try to not get so hungry that I'm tempted! I sympathize with you and your trouble with you precious old cat Mango! We have an ancient cat who yowls and cries in such an expressive manner starting around 5 am, or, whenever she is lonely and/or wants to be fed. Oy. It's not easy! She rarely jumps on the bed, but her voice fills the entire house! As for Mango, I'm asking myself what would our vet say (we love her!) and I imagine she might say lock her out of your room at night and be firm about it, no exceptions until she gets used to it and stops scratching at the door to get in, and meanwhile, wear earplugs...?? It's rough...we love our animals so much, and we know we will miss them when they're gone, so we put up with so much, from a place of love....sigh!

Speaking of fruit, I've been stumped on how to work melon into my diet...recently I read in ISWF the recommended fruits, which include melon (and berries among other things) but not citrus and bananas...now, I'm thinking it's not a crime to eat citrus or bananas, and those are my usual fruits...but I wanted to tighten it up, plus I LOVE melon and haven't had any in ages, so I bought some. But now I don't know when to eat it! I've always eaten melon on its own as a snack, or 15 minutes or so before eating because it breaks down so fast (the fastest of all!) that to eat it with food causes gas (good old fashioned food combination guidelines so helpful!)....recently I ate a few bites of melon in between bites of my otherwise somewhat gag-worthy breakfast, and it helped me enjoy my breakfast, no problemo! I was surprised it didn't give me any discomfort. So the next day I ate some after meal 2, and boy did I suffer big time. I had terrible gas (sorry for TMI) and also got diarrhea which could have been from snacking later on macadamia nuts, something I rarely do...so I'm not sure why I got sick, but feel very sure the gas was from the melon. Meanwhile I'm better and don't want to waste the melon (hubs doesn't touch it). I'm worried I might interfere with glucagon...or should I have it as an "appetizer" before lunch or dinner? Any suggestions?

I tried my first kombucha yesterday! I get it, it's tasty. I like it. I started with GT brand lemonade but trusted I would like it so I bought two other flavors. It's spendy. I'm starting slow, just 5 oz at a time....thanks for the encouragement!

I agree with what you said Liz, I feel like I'm really getting down to business with this whole process now that it's not "new" and making habits that I intend will last...so glad you guys are still around to chat with.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, treeny_bash said:

Liz, I'm still lurking but I'm afraid I don't have much reintro experience since mine hasn't gone especially well. I've had a fair amount of alcohol in the last week and a half, I've eaten a fair amount of non-compliant food but I haven't had any dramatic reactions. I get a rash from alcohol (I can't remember who it was that got that the other day) but I've always known that, and I'm afraid it is "worth it" for me. I've come down with a nasty cold which is driving my eating choices a lot this week and I'm drinking a very sweet medicated drink to help with that - I don't think it's awoken a sugar dragon, I'm really not enjoying the sweetness and in fact the thought of having more sweet food is not appealing. I'm really craving stodgy carbs though, and it's something I've been giving into. I've been eating meat and potatoes for dinner with not much veg, and I'm really low on energy. I know I need to turn things around, reintroduce more colourful veg and prep and plan more meals, hopefully I'll find some time and energy this weekend to do that. I am eating a lot more nakd bars than I should be, and I had a binge on raisins last night (which made me feel quite unwell). I'm very impressed that some of you are still going, I wish I had your strength and motivation - and I'm sure your results will be well worth it!

Keep lurking and also checking in with us, TreenyBash! I think you're in your learning process - keep fine tuning and doing what you can to the best of your ability. That's all any of us can expect of ourselves. I'm impressed that you've lost your interest in sweet things, even while taking a sweet cold med. Yes, there was a friend in here who got a rash when she enjoyed her wine...you mentioned low energy...a good thing to monitor...you also mentioned planning meals - what are you going to make? What are your favorites? How's it going in the cantina at work? What are stodgy carbs, is that like potatoes and bread?

Hope you feel better soon...

I did it, this is the end of day 30. Happy W30 bday to me. And it has been an eventful, surprising day. Do I sound sour? I am a little...

After posting earlier, I got really sick to my stomach again. What the heck is going on? I researched "food combinations and diarrhea" on this website, thinking it had something to do with the melon (um, probably NOT!) and that led me to looking into FODMAPs in greater depth (a.k.a fructose mal-absorbtion). I private messaged jmcbn, who knows a lot about this. She was very helpful. The more I read, I started realizing that within the rest of my W60 (and maybe it'll be a W75 or W90??) it makes sense to eliminate the FODMAPs too, and see if that helps...which I bet it will. The good news is that I can reintro the FODMAPs as my gut heals, just like the way we reintro everything else. So it's not forever, it's just another layer of discovery. At first I felt pouty and sad...I mean, I never felt that W30 was depriving me of anything, but now I'm about to eliminate many of my daily favorites: coconut milk, coffee, yams, apples, onions, nuts/seeds and their butters, and about half of my usual vegetables including beets which I just started eating again last week, making them a #1 culprit. I have spidey sensed that coconut milk might not be good for me...wow, I will miss that.  I'm already getting over the grief, but what a day.

The funny thing is that while I was doing the research, learning, and deciding to do this extra elimination, I had yams and vegetables roasting in the oven that I can't eat! So I separated the Brussels sprouts and broccoli out for my husband to eat (reserving the carrots and zucchini for me), and then individually wrapped and froze the yams, which he won't eat, for another day. Freezing the yams is one of my favorite time saving tricks that I've learned.

Have any of you looked into FODMAPs? I read that it's common that people who embrace W30/paleo sometimes develop sensitivities that they didn't start off with as the gut heals. I'm learning about FODMAPs but I must admit I don't understand why this is...this is all a HUGE learning experience. When I told my husband about it over dinner (making my own dinner was challenging!) he joked a little about how he could never eliminate any of the things that I am but then he also said that he admired my commitment to the process. That made me happy. I'm grateful for his support. I think he's grateful that I'm not pushing any of this on him. LOL.

Thanks for everyone letting me know you are still out there.  I am doing pretty good.  Tonight I did not eat very well but I am trying not to beat myself up.  Ended up eating some Brazil nuts, yams with coconut oil, and way to many dried Mangos. Yep not my best dinner.  Well if that is the worst I do in 60 days I should be rejoicing.  

Marjet how is Mango doing?  She still keeping you up.  Wow cats are so independent and it is even harder when they are 14.  Good Luck.  Oh Marjet if you are getting hungry and snacking between meals try to increase your meal sizes especially in the protein and oil.  You may not be eating enough at your meals.  If you are working out get in that additional protein and oil before and after each workout.  Sometimes what I do is eat a little tuna or salmon salad before and after a work out I try to stay away from snack bars.  You do not need a lot but a little tuna or salmon salad with homemade mayo makes a big difference.  

Treeny_Bash hope you are feeling better I was not feeling well last week and food really is not a priority in your mind when you don't feel well.  Even though your re-intro has not been as smooth as you want we all learn from your experiences good or not perfect.  I bet 95% of W30 re-intros have a rough road, I am impressed with your comments on the sugar sweetness.  I am not sure I have this motivation or I am going 60 because there is really a lot of work in doing the re-intro the way the book says you to do it.  Actually I enjoy the extra learning with the extra 30 days but there is a lot of work in the re-intro.  

Lisbette I have a friend that does the FODMap diet it is fairly restrictive but she feels much better when she follows it.  You have to really think through your food on FODMap but it is doable.  CONGRATULATIONS on Day 30 I thought you were already past 30.  So how is life with out Yams?

I have to admit I am starting to day dream about eating bread with my raspberry jelly or having a piece of chocolate cake.  I will persevere.  

Day 45 for me.  

Today was a good day.  I did some stretching and walked on the treadmill.  I have been really trying to increase my activity level but have not been that successful so today I printed out a calendar so I could track my activity a little better and considering getting one of those fitbits to give me some fun while I am increasing the activity.  Today I ate really well.  Tonight I made a bunch of roasted veges for leftovers and also roasted a butternut squash.  With my roasted veges I had a tri-tip steak and topped that off with a mandarin orange.  Hope all is well with everyone.  

Day 46 for me.

Day 49 for me today.  Yesterday was a long day as we got up really early to check in to our favorite campsite to reserve sites for summer stays.  So we had a good breakfast, 2 eggs Peterson bacon, tomato, avocado and asparagus.  Packed a lunch, a nice salad with leftover chicken.  I started spirulizing beets for our salads and it makes it really yummy.  I also make salad dressing out of compliant mayo with a touch of siracha hot sauce (compliant) added acv and olive oil.  But again I had the rx bars, seems like I love something sweet after each meal.  Eventhough we share an orange as well.  The bars are a snack in between.  Maybe not a good thing for me to stock up on.  In the past I always had a piece of 80% chocolate for desert and I guess I am missing that.  Yesterday I almost almost had a cocktail at dinner time, but then thought the better of it and had my kamboucha. I  cannot believe how faithful I have been.... 49 days.  It is amazing.  My husband broke down and had a piece of cheese 2 nights ago and said it was a disappointing taste not what he had remembered.  

Liz's Journey, Mango is doing better all of a sudden.  I guess he really wants some loving.  We have also started a different sleep pattern.  I have begun darkening our bedroom totally instead of leaving the blinds open.  All lights are off including electronics.  None of that an hour before sleep time.  And now it seems like we are sleeping well for 8 hours.   Even Mango is liking it, he is very quiet until wake up time, then he wants extra loving.  I so hope that this pattern continues now.  We are both making the effort.  It seems like we are only 3 of us left now....

Yes, I started with all of you on Feb. 1 but by the middle of the month I had several small bone head transgressions and though each of them seemed dismissable (took a piece of trident gum by reflex, same with a Rolaids, didn't check the labels on my vitamins, things like that) I decided to start over on 2/15, so I kinda still feel like I have those miles behind me as you do, but decided to be a good scientist!

The first two days of low-FODMAP was tough, my energy was low, probably from recovering from being sick, and also psychologically, looking at the new eliminated foods. But I've come this far, so I know i can do this...I'm already feeling so much better. I know I've lost weight and the systemic inflammation is down otherwise I would be dying of hayfever now in spring without my allergy meds - so this is very encouraging!

It's warm enough now that salads seem appetizing, so I've been making salads with romaine, spinach, endive, and colorful shredded vegetables as a side with protein. 

Oh! I quit coffee - this is day 3 and I have no ill side effects! I've been on again and off again with coffee for a long time, but I expected to get headaches because I think I've had coffee every day for a year this time...I'm enjoying roasted dandelion root tea in the morning, which is also good for detoxing, and I like the way it tastes.

I feel pretty sure that the high-FODMAP foods that messed me up did so because I was eating them *every single day* or *every other day*, and I have been clinging to them like a life raft (weekly veg-roast cookups) rather than before W30, I just ate them sometimes. So it's valuable to learn! I'm getting it that variety is important...

I'm currently thinking that I'll go until 4/15, which will be 60 days (or 75 as I'm sure I'll still be thinking of it!) and then start with a FODMAP reintro, then decide when to reintro the usual things like added sugar, etc. 

Yesterday my husband was gifted a box of chocolates and a bottle of imported wine that looked really good to both of us. He relentlessly tempted me! I finally said, "stop it!". This morning he is saying the wine wasn't very good, and it's a good thing I didn't fall off the wagon for bad wine. "I just wanted to share..."...oh, brother.

Loving a small glass of kombucha with dinner - it does totally feel like a cocktail = )

Not eating yams is keeping me honest in a way, because i was eating it as a side dish at dinner with walnuts and some raisins sprinkled in there too, for a taste of "pie"!! I'll probably try out butternut squash instead for the starch and pleasure.

Glad you're sleeping better, Marjet, I'm a big fan of a totally darkened room. Black electrical tape is my friend for covering little LED lights, and draping stuff over electronics...sweet sleep. I thought about your husband's comment about cheese, and I wonder how it will be for me. I'm thinking I'll start thinking of dairy and nuts as a delicacy, best in small, rare, portions...

Yeah, I think the physical activity is really helpful....how's that going, Liz? I have to stretch or I don't feel right. On this program too often I'm coming home from my hike and then making my breakfast, then too often I don't get that stretch...must figure that out.

Happy Sunday to all!

Hell o,

I've been lurking and reading up on your posts. 

I want to write so much that I don't know how to start - just going to jump in and then catch up when I can.

I tried some foods - no real change except I want more of them again which is always the way and means I am not totally in control! I havent had them though and have made some good decisions, but I feel I need to tighten up on the whole 30. I have started again on the whole 30 way of eating.

My clothes are loser and family members are noticing that I have lost weight but I so want the scales to reflect this. Will I ever get over it? X 

Its good that lots of us are still here. 

Happy eating everyone x

Amazing how strong you are LadyLisbette, you are going through a much more difficult time then I am  with the Fodmap way of eating.  As I was reading your post, I am longing for something sweet again.  We had our dinner earlier.  Pork roasted in the hotpot with tomatoes and onions, a little sweet potato steamed cauliflower and green beans and sauerkraut.  It was a fairly large meal.  

Today I did exercise I rode my bike for 30 minutes, did 15 Mts of rowing and had a nice walk outside with the dog and a friend about 2 miles.  So maybe that is why I have this craving to eat something else.  I decided a while ago it will be frozen cherries with Coconut cream, as we are kind of hooked on that as a after dinner desert type of thing.  Kind of like your sweet potato and nuts, LadyLisbette.

Hedgehog8,  I am proud of you that you keep trying and that you are still here.  Your struggle will be rewarded, I am sure of it.  Be strong and drink lots of water on the side.  Let's keep going!!!!

I'm still lurking too! Not doing especially well, I've got a nasty cold and it's really dragging me down. It's not that I'm craving non compliant foods, it's just that I don't have the energy to prepare compliant ones. We had takeaway pizza on Saturday night and oh boy did I pay for that! I was actually crying in the night with the stomach cramps that came. The other problem is that my oven desperately needs cleaned, it's smoking every time I switch it on, and I haven't got the energy to clean it, so I can't use it right now. Contemplating paying someone to come do it for me, I think it'll cost less than £50 and it'll be worth it to be able to bake things again. Very impressed with everyone still going and those still experimenting with reintros. I'm hoping to get back on track soon, maybe with a mini reset, we'll see how it goes. 

Treeny_bash.  I am hoping you will find the strength to clean that oven.  Just think on how happy you'll feel once its done.  Here in the USA we have self cleaning ovens...I guess we are spoiled.  Even that is always a chore as you have to be around and the cleaning makes a burning smell in the house.  Don't give up!  

Thanks for your kind words, Marjet...your slow cooker meal sounds good! I am trying out Nom Nom's slow cooker Kahlua pork for the first time, will have it tonight. I'm reading a lot about the science of this FODMAP intolerance, and hoping that is what it is. I did have a minor bout yesterday, which was day 3 of low FODMAP so I don't have any explanations. I'm chalking it up to my gut recovering and trying not to worry about it...meanwhile I'm just being as consistent as possible, making the best decisions possible. There are mixed opinions about where foods are in the FODMAP spectrum, like some say yams are ok, some say they are not...so as always, it boils down to what is best for the individual....to be safe, I've eliminated all of the usual suspects...it's getting easier. I'm introducing new vegetables, enjoying endive and cucumber. Last night I made delicious Thai turkey meatballs, really spicy and colorful with veg and herbs. Yummmm.

Welcome back Hedgehog! Looking forward to your updates! 

Treenybash, you are reminding me that I also desperately need to clean my oven! I'm still debating whether or not to do the self cleaning mode that Marjet described, and just get through the bad smell that fills the house, or break down and pay someone to do it for me. Such a nasty job. I guess it's a spring cleaning thing. Hppe you feel better soon!

Still working on my time management. I should get up earlier, but I'm enjoying the legendary good W30 sleep, which took me many weeks to get to....trying to be patient with myself for the fine tuning. I also realized that if not everything on my list gets done because I am spending the time preparing food and eating food, maybe that's ok. 

Are you guys finding that you're sitting at the table a lot longer than you used to, eating your food? chew chew, sip, sip, sip.

Archived