FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

I'm in! My adult daughter  began a few weeks ago and now I am ready to begin tomorrow! I am interested to discover what the eliminated foods effect will be on my body and curious how I retrain myself when I have the 8:30pm salty snack craving for popcorn. I have the spinach fritatta prepped for breakfast and the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce prepped (from the 7 day plan in the Whole 30 Guidebook) for dinner. Will have time to get lunch ready in the morning, plus I am a stay-at-home mom/wife so have extra time. Am planning to listen to many podcasts this month during meal prep! 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All!  I am starting this, not tomorrow, February 1, but on Monday, February 6th. My husband and I will be doing this program together. He has completed a full 30 days, and hoped I would have joined him when he did it before. I had reservations about doing this because I wasn't ready for the commitment, had participated in fad type lifestyle diets in the past (I studied as a Raw Foods Chef, having taken courses from Victoria Boutenko and David Wolfe, many years ago). 

I am starting after this weekend, because Ben and I want to get our house in order, purchase the groceries, assemble the ingredients, prep all the sauces and a few day's worth of food. Funny thing is, I did most of the cooking for Ben, when he did this last time. I enjoyed all the recipes, which are very easy to prepare.

I know this will be quite a change. I am excited and nervous. I look forward to hearing your stories and updating you with ours.

Best wishes,

Paul

I'm in!  Day one today! I just finished a Whole 30 on Jan 30, but I am so much better with rules... so I am starting again today!!  I have read all the Whole30 books and I just bought "Food Freedom Forever" and am half way done.  If you haven't read "It Starts with Food" you've gotta, it's my favorite.  The best benefit I get from being on Whole30 is the never ending energy:D  Enjoy today!!

Good morning! Day 1! I originally started mid-January but was hit like a truck by several illnesses and my kids were all sick and I had a glass of wine so... here I am starting in February. :-) I'm excited though. The several days in January in which I did follow the plan were amazing, so I'm excited to do it again. I've done the grocery shopping and did some prep, so I'm feeling like this is a go. Yay!

So glad to read everyone's posts! I love a community like this that makes you feel like you are a part of a group - and so I know others are "suffering" with me haha. Today is Day 3 for me and I definitely am feeling it...so incredibly tired today. Seriously contemplating a mental health day tomorrow haha. How's it going for everyone? 

Hey everyone!  I would like to join this thread too. This will be my second go at Whole30. I felt amazing after my first time. I was able to be fairly compliant after the 30 days but Life has gotten in the way these last 8 months so time to regain control. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing everyone's progress. We can do this! 

Day One!  Hooray!   ..... and....in a cruel irony, I got an email from Panera this morning saying they were giving me a free bagel everyday this month - doh!  (or, dough!)  Nice try Panera - find another victim :-)

Hi Everyone! Starting my second Whole 30 having just finished one on Jan 30. My husband decided to do this since he is struggling with Diabetes and shingles so I did it just to go along with him. I am a post bariatric survivor and lost 113 pounds after gastric bypass almost 5 years ago. Literally saved my life - diabetes went away, no more high blood pressure, no more high cholesterol, plantar fascitis disappeared after 2 years of driving with a handicap placard waiting for foot surgery, etc.   So I really didn't do this for the health benefits, just more to control eating and for encouragement for hubby. I was not super strict. Eg. used stevia or splenda in ice tea, regular butter instead of clarified butter, a bit of corn creeped into a salad here or there, but on the whole was pretty good. What is prompting me to do it again is the reaction I had to reintroducing dairy! I am shocked and distressed by how bad I felt when I finally had a 4 oz glass of milk! And then had milk in my tea (I LOVE milk in my tea!) Heck I just love milk! That was the hardest thing for me during the 30 days - no dairy! So I am going to do it strictly this time and see what the full benefits are. I figure it is better to get right back on the horse than to go off it completely and then try to start all over again. it really wasn't that hard to do, so I am game to give it a go again. Hubby is not doing it this time. He lost 14 lbs and can't afford to lose more. I lost 5 lbs but I sure could lose a few more!

So here we go again! Good luck to everyone. It really isn't that hard after the first 5 days!

What are ya'll doing for fats? I am cooking my food in cooking oil but I read that's not where your main source of fat should come from. I plan to make clarified butter tonight (wasn't able to get it done ahead of time) and I'm not a fan of avocados - although if anyone has truly delicious ways to eat them I'm listening). What are other ways to get that fat requirement in? 

Hello all! I am Kate from MD and I'm excited to start this program. I began today, February 1, with sautéed spinach, onion, and garlic with fried eggs on top. It was delicious! I am a pescatarian, so I am somewhat nervous about being starving all the time, but if today's first meal is any indication I think I'll be okay. Like many of you, I pulled most of the recipes for my week 1 from the book. I am looking forward to beets, oranges, sweet potato soup, roasted squash, grilled shrimp, and mahi-mahi! I also procured some glass tupperware to make a handful of the suggested sauces each week. 

I am also somewhat nervous about the gastronomical dearth that is the mid Atlantic region in February, especially since we don't eat land animals. However, I love to cook and eat and I am excited about trying something new. I find a month long experiment to be really fun! I recently completed National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November and I was able to "win" with 50,000 words written. 

While I heeded the advice of the authors and did not weigh myself before beginning, my husband did take "before" shots against a backdrop (which the authors do suggest) to compare with the "after" shots I'll take on March 2. He so kindly (and wisely) mentioned that he wanted to save the "before" pictures to his cell phone desktop! I am so thankful to have his support even while he is not doing it with me.

I am going to MISS the goat cheese from Costco and, especially, BEER! Namely, India Pale Ales! My husband and I went out to eat last night and I had a goat cheese fondue and Suicide Blonde IPA from our local brewery Red Shedman! I said a long goodbye :)

I wish the best of luck to us all!

9 hours ago, Tokyo00hanaco said:

does it help if we have a Facebook group? I found that Facebook is easier to comment on each others' posts.

Another member posted that they started a Facebook group. Personally, I am staying here for the reason that this thread is monitored by moderators - and they keep us in line and give us guidance and encouragement because they know this program inside and out.  That is important to me. 

1 hour ago, Oakley710 said:

I picked the PERRRRFECT avocado from the store!! That counts, right?! :D

Right on, Oakley. If you are a Game of Thrones fan, I suspect this looks familiar:

11 Of The Best Game Of Thrones Memes You’ve Ever Seen:

44 minutes ago, Michelle H said:

What are ya'll doing for fats? I am cooking my food in cooking oil but I read that's not where your main source of fat should come from. I plan to make clarified butter tonight (wasn't able to get it done ahead of time) and I'm not a fan of avocados - although if anyone has truly delicious ways to eat them I'm listening). What are other ways to get that fat requirement in? 

Michelle H, canned coconut milk is a good source of fat -- its a substitute for heavy cream in sauces, and makes soups so creamy and delicious!   Also, try almond butter (or other nut butters, but not peanut), olives. Too bad you dont like avocados! :(

30 minutes ago, English teacher Kate said:

I recently completed National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November and I was able to "win" with 50,000 words written. 

How cool! Congrats English Teacher Kate! What did you "win"?

1 hour ago, Mom2210s said:

Hi Everyone! Starting my second Whole 30 having just finished one on Jan 30. My husband decided to do this since he is struggling with Diabetes and shingles so I did it just to go along with him. I am a post bariatric survivor and lost 113 pounds after gastric bypass almost 5 years ago. 

So here we go again! Good luck to everyone. It really isn't that hard after the first 5 days!

Welcome Mom2210s -- congratulations on the return to health! I agree that this does get easier after the first 5 days!

Good luck today everyone -- first day-ers and the rest! 

Kelli

43 minutes ago, English teacher Kate said:

Hello all! I am Kate from MD and I'm excited to start this program. I began today, February 1, with sautéed spinach, onion, and garlic with fried eggs on top. It was delicious! I am a pescatarian, so I am somewhat nervous about being starving all the time, but if today's first meal is any indication I think I'll be okay. Like many of you, I pulled most of the recipes for my week 1 from the book. I am looking forward to beets, oranges, sweet potato soup, roasted squash, grilled shrimp, and mahi-mahi! I also procured some glass tupperware to make a handful of the suggested sauces each week. 

I am also somewhat nervous about the gastronomical dearth that is the mid Atlantic region in February, especially since we don't eat land animals. However, I love to cook and eat and I am excited about trying something new. I find a month long experiment to be really fun! I recently completed National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in November and I was able to "win" with 50,000 words written. 

While I heeded the advice of the authors and did not weigh myself before beginning, my husband did take "before" shots against a backdrop (which the authors do suggest) to compare with the "after" shots I'll take on March 2. He so kindly (and wisely) mentioned that he wanted to save the "before" pictures to his cell phone desktop! I am so thankful to have his support even while he is not doing it with me.

I am going to MISS the goat cheese from Costco and, especially, BEER! Namely, India Pale Ales! My husband and I went out to eat last night and I had a goat cheese fondue and Suicide Blonde IPA from our local brewery Red Shedman! I said a long goodbye :)

I wish the best of luck to us all!

1 hour ago, Michelle H said:

I'm also not an avocado fan....and so many of the tips and recipes involve them.  Likewise, I'd give them another shot if I found a way to ease into them...maybe.   I'm only half-a-day in, but I did cook my eggs in ghee this morning and they were yummy.   

2 minutes ago, sjennings said:

@Michelle H I had a problem with avocados to! I didn't like the taste at all, but recently I found that if I eat them with eggs they aren't as bad. I had mine this morning with eggs and they were actually pretty good! 

Same!! I scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and smushed up some avocado and choked it down. I only used a quarter of an avocado... Is that enough? I was so stuffed after breakfast but I don't feel like I ate near what the template is recommending...

Good Morning.....day 1 has started!  I feel good!  I made the sweet potatoe "home fries" for my husband and I for breakfast.  They were a touch bland so if you try them you might want to add some fresh garlic or onion. 

Little anxious about lunch as it is fast approaching....about to marinate some chicken breasts and make a huge dry salad.  

Cold cuts are mentioned in the book, however, aren't they processed?  anyone know which cold cuts are whole30 compliant???  

Rooting for us all!!  

Krissy 

Hey all! I started Monday, 1/30 so I'm on Day 3 at the moment. First Whole30 ever. I, like many of you, am super nervous. I am 53 and have gradually gained weight over the years which has impacted my general health and well being. I'm doing this to learn better eating habits and strongly maim my depression dragon that has plagued me for 30+ years. I'm already feeling the anxiety and decided to work at home today when I couldn't get my rear end out of bed and when I did, I just started crying. Here's hoping it's all temporary. I'm not a cook or a chopper, but I do have salad stuff ready and grilled pork chops and chicken the first two nights. I've never been one to participate in forums either but this thing is going to take a village, so I'm in! Off to eat some eggs.

Ladies (& gents if there are any out there...) - for fats you can add compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat like chicken wings with the skins on, or brisket, all kinds of nut/seed oils (other than peanut obviously!), coconut milk/oil/flesh/flakes, rendered animal fats, ghee, olives & olive oil, home-made mayo and mayo based sauces, and ghee/clarified butter... A serving of avocado would be a half, a serving of olives would be a heaping handful.

Nuts & nut butters can also be used, but we'd recommend you keep their usage limited as they can be pretty hard on the digestive system.

@Oakley710   - onions & peppers can cause a little bloating which may be why you felt so full this morning. You could try some other veg tomorrow and use a different fat - it always takes a day or two of tweaking to get your portions just right...

Hope this helps & good luck! Any questions just ask.......

7 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

Same!! I scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and smushed up some avocado and choked it down. I only used a quarter of an avocado... Is that enough? I was so stuffed after breakfast but I don't feel like I ate near what the template is recommending...

From what I read half is like the normal serving size! I don't think I could have ate a whole avocado! How many eggs did you use? I only ate one because I wasn't to sure the correct serving size for eggs 

1 minute ago, k9zoo said:

I'm already feeling the anxiety

Make sure you're including AT LEAST a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day - beets, all varieties of potatoes, plantains, turnip, yam, parsnips.... and oily fish if you can (tinned mackerel is v cheap), lots of oily fish - this will make you feel a WHOLE lot better....

Archived