Dental surgery

Hello,

I am looking for some support/suggestions.  Started Whole30 last Monday 1/9 and had to had some major dental surgery on 1/13 and am not able to eat much.  I know protein shakes are discouraged but that may be my only option temporarily until I am healed.  Found a vegan shake-unsweetened.  Thought I could put some berries in it. May be a few weeks till I can eat solids.  Cauliflower rice is okay, roasted sweet potato, chopped some chicken really small. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Double check your vegan shake -- it more than likely has pea or soy protein, it's pretty hard to do vegan protein without some kind of non-compliant ingredient. If you choose to do that, that's your choice, since it is important for you to eat something, but know that it's not really Whole30. If you need more protein, you could look for egg protein powder. Something like bone broth or gelatin (not Jello, but plain, unflavored gelatin like from Great Lakes or Vital Proteins) would add some protein, but probably wouldn't be enough on its own.

You might do blended soups -- you could even put chicken or ground beef in and then blend it all either with an immersion blender, or in a regular blender. (If you need to feed other people as well, you could make up the soup, and then just blend your serving before eating, if it's something they'd prefer chunky). If you put hot soup in a blender, leave the middle part of the lid off, and cover with a thick towel folded over as you blend, so steam can still escape, but you block the stuff from actually getting out of the blender and potentially burning you.

Scrambled eggs might be an option, or egg drop soup. (There's a recipe here, but at the simplest, bring broth to a boil, stir in a raw scrambled egg, the boiling broth cooks the egg.)

Hi Shannon

Thank you for your answer. i didn't realize that. Never thought that peas were a legume. I have been compliant and am doing well and feeling great-Day 13!!  I don't eat eggs but I will look for breakfast ideas. I can eat any food any time so I think I will do the soups and use them and purée the beef and chicken like you recommend. 

Thank you very much!

Archived