Saturated fat questions...

bec222

Hi...loving my whole30! Question about saturated fat: so, i understand the bad info we've received over the years about cholesterol and fat in food; however, what about saturated fat...when i talk to my family about this, i often get an earful about how bad fat (mostly saturated fat) is for all of us. Is this true? What about someone who has been told they have high cholesterol or a heart condition, or blocked arteries...should THEY avoid fat? I'm confused.

thanks

I am in the middle of reading It Starts with Food and there is a whole section devoted to fat including saturated fats, I found it really helpful and it will answer all your questions you posted about.

As I understand it the problem with them is when your diet consists of mostly unhealthy foods and eating too many junky carbs and sugar, eating Whole30 and including high quality saturated fats (coconut oil, organic grassfed/pastured animal fats) doesn't cause a problem.

• 1 month later...

Avocado - it's full of good things like antioxidants, and other healthy stuff, that'll help drive down those bad Cholesterol numbers, and build up the good cholesterol numbers.  but you really don't need to worry about the sat fats in ghee or coconut oil.  Read It Starts With Food, for the full low down.

Archived