On the go Snacks

EricaEV

Hi there! The Whole30 Daily keeps referring to Primal Pacs, but the Primal PAC online store is 'temporarily closed'. What are other brands and options for snacks on the go? I am on Day 11 and would LOVE something easy to grab and simple for an after workout snack. I also have a business trip next week I would like to be WHOLE 30 prepared for. Thanks!

Grilled chicken breast and roasted sweet potato keeps *fabulously* outside of a refrigerator and is pretty much a perfect post-workout snack. 

Also, with the exception of pre- and post-workout, you should be eating enough in your meals to go to the next meal without needing a snack. For the business trip, are you going to have access to at least a fridge? If so, plan and bring meals that you can eat cold or at room temperature. If you'll have access to a microwave too, then you can bring your own food and have it hot!

I personally like meatballs as post-workout snack.  Make a bunch, divvy them into baggies (like 6 for a meal, 3 for a post-workout snack).  Freeze in their individual baggies, pull out as needed.  If you're working out later in the day, they defrost during the day.  (And I like eating cold food, I understand some people would not want to pop a cold meatball into their mouth.)  It's cold where I'm at right now, so I don't worry about refrigeration, but you can also get small lunch-bag sized insulated bags if you're worried about storage.  You can sneak some veggies into the meatballs as well.

There are several baby food type brands that make sweet potato or butternut squash purees.  They may be more expensive, but when you need something you need something.  (I love taking these on hikes/camping.)

If you can find coconut flakes/(chips) that are unsweetened, that'd be a good travel companion.  (I've found some in the baking aisles of grocery stores.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, seborn said:

Has anyone found salami without sugar? Every salami i have looked at has dextrose in the ingredients. 

There's this one, but I haven't actually tried it so I don't know if it's good or not -- I've ordered other things from them in the past, and they've been good, but it's pretty expensive so I don't order often.

Mostly, during a Whole30, I just figure it's easier not to go for this type of meat. If you want a salty accent in a dish, look for prosciutto or maybe bacon depending on where you are. I did find some compliant summer sausage from a local place once, so maybe check those, if that would be an acceptable option. If you have a butcher near you that processes their own meats and makes their own sausages and stuff, you might be able to talk to them about what they could make for you that would be compliant, but those can be hard to find.

Archived