Ok…here are my questions….

1) once ghee is open must it be refrigerated?

2) Are we allowed Vita coco water (pure coconut water and that with added pineapple)?

3) Are we allowed coconut sugar?

4) What is a serving size of sweet potatoes?

5) What kind of coconut milk is compliant and what are you using if for?

6) How many is too many Lara bars? 

7) Do you not eat something sweet when you feel you need something sweet? Like you don’t eat a fruit dessert or munch on sweet potatoes as a snack when you need something? If that is considered feeding the “sugar dragon” then what do you do when a craving hit? I’m finding it interesting because I often eat when I’m not hungry but feel dissatisfied.

Please help!

Thanks, 

Melissa

I only feel like I can answer a few of these since they are personal to me. *this may not apply to everybody

1. We make our ghee since it's so expensive to by, we have never refrigerated it and we are still alive so....

*3. My understanding is the anything the replicates food that is known to cause problems with digestion/inflammation/metabolism is not allowed because it does not take you out of the old mindset and habits.

*6. Zero for me, like the above it will remind me of all the times I bought 'healthy' bars and ate the entire box. FOR ME I can not have any one bar, because I'll have ten.

*7. Personally no, just like I would not give a little alcohol to an alcoholic. You don't have the craving because you need something sweet you have it for some other reason, so feeding it does nothing but starts a vicious cycle. I've lost and gained back 50 pounds three times in the last ten years, and I can trace each rebound back to a single instance where I thought I would "treat myself".

30 minutes ago, Melissa Shelly said:

Ok…here are my questions….

1) once ghee is open must it be refrigerated? I've never refrigerated it in maybe 3-4 years, so I'm guessing no.

2) Are we allowed Vita coco water (pure coconut water and that with added pineapple)? Only if your job leaves you prone to dehydration, or you are participating in endurance sports

3) Are we allowed coconut sugar? No

4) What is a serving size of sweet potatoes? A fist sized portion

5) What kind of coconut milk is compliant and what are you using if for? You'll need to read labels in your area for off plan ingredients as they can change from region to region, and month to month without prior notice. Some use it for adding to coffee/tea, I mostly use it for making soups/sauces/curries/marinades.

6) How many is too many Lara bars? Lara bars are for emergency use only. In all my time here I've yet to see an emergency that warranted a lara bar. If you can prepare for an emergency you can prepare to have real food - pouches of olives & tins of fish are just as portable/long life etc.

7) Do you not eat something sweet when you feel you need something sweet? Like you don’t eat a fruit dessert or munch on sweet potatoes as a snack when you need something? If that is considered feeding the “sugar dragon” then what do you do when a craving hit? I’m finding it interesting because I often eat when I’m not hungry but feel dissatisfied. No, if you crave something sweet reach for fat - something like olives, or a spoonful of an oil you like - that is of course if the craving won't pass with some distraction technique, like a walk outside, running a bath, painting your nails etc. You wouldn't give the blue bubblegum ice cream with coloured sprinkles & strawberry sauce to the toddler throwing a tantrum for it, would you? ;)

Please help!

Thanks, 

Melissa

See above - hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Melissa Shelly said:

Thank you, JMCBN!!! So helpful.

Why not the coconut water….we are allowed coconuts and that’s all it is along with water….

Coconut meat/flakes is a fat on Whole30. Coconut water is not. 8 oz of coconut flakes has about 10 grams of fat (which you need at each meal, following the template) and less than a gram of sugar. 8 oz of coconut water has over 10 grams of sugar, and is doing nothing to fill out your meal plate, which should consist of protein, vegetables and fat. 

In addition, for the most benefits from a Whole30,  focus on eating foods, not drinking them.

So if you're running a marathon or playing in Wimbledon, break out the coconut water. Otherwise, you're better off sticking to water, tea and coffee. :)

• 2 months later...

I am still confused by the Vita coconut water. The label doesn't even list sugar in the nutrition facts, and the ingredients say less than 1% natural fruit sugar. It also says not a significant amount of sugar. In Canada that means that the sugar is less than .5g or less than 5 calories. Even my veggies list the amount of sugar in them,and it's more than .5g. I'm not trying to replace wine or anything else with coconut water, but it sure does make a nice change from lemon, lime, cucumber, basil, or whatever water and tea or coffee. I don't know if it's different in the States, but I'm having a tough time getting a clear answer. I don't mind giving it up, but I would just like to know exactly why. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

29 minutes ago, bjvdsteen said:

I am still confused by the Vita coconut water. The label doesn't even list sugar in the nutrition facts, and the ingredients say less than 1% natural fruit sugar. It also says not a significant amount of sugar. In Canada that means that the sugar is less than .5g or less than 5 calories. Even my veggies list the amount of sugar in them,and it's more than .5g. I'm not trying to replace wine or anything else with coconut water, but it sure does make a nice change from lemon, lime, cucumber, basil, or whatever water and tea or coffee. I don't know if it's different in the States, but I'm having a tough time getting a clear answer. I don't mind giving it up, but I would just like to know exactly why. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can drink if you choose to, bjvdsteen, but its really not the smartest choice for several reasons. One reason is that Whole30 discourages drinking "juice" since the idea is to eat whole FOODS, including proteins, LOTS of vegetables and "some" fruit. That brand of coconut water is a sugar bomb. It doesn't matter that its natural sugars, its' still a big hit of sugar (15 grams in an 11 oz. serving). Your body is going to react to that and may react in ways that are detrimental (blood sugar spikes or triggering cravings or hunger). For 30 days, Whole30 wants you to drink a LOT of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight) and it would be better for you to drink water (with a slice of lemon or cucumbers or whatever) than to drink this "juice."  Why not continue with water, plus your coffee or tea?

But again, it's your choice.

38 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

You can drink if you choose to, bjvdsteen, but its really not the smartest choice for several reasons. One reason is that Whole30 discourages drinking "juice" since the idea is to eat whole FOODS, including proteins, LOTS of vegetables and "some" fruit. That brand of coconut water is a sugar bomb. It doesn't matter that its natural sugars, its' still a big hit of sugar (15 grams in an 11 oz. serving). Your body is going to react to that and may react in ways that are detrimental (blood sugar spikes or triggering cravings or hunger). For 30 days, Whole30 wants you to drink a LOT of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight) and it would be better for you to drink water (with a slice of lemon or cucumbers or whatever) than to drink this "juice."  Why not continue with water, plus your coffee or tea?

But again, it's your choice.

Thank you for the response, but I'm still confused. How can it have 15g of sugar if, by law in Canada, that would have to be listed, and it most definitely is not. BTW, and I should have mentioned this, I drink about 80 ounces of water daily, and I weigh(ed) 160, so I'm good there. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

• Moderators

How many servings does it say is in the can/bottle?  Often times a company will show lower calories/mg of fat, sugar, salt etc... on the label 'per serving' but then you come to find out that the can of coke has 2.5 servings in it... we all know that one can of coke is one serving but it's a fishy and super shady way they have to make a product 'seem' better.

• Moderators

So I just checked... the actual container size is 500ml... they say there are 'about 2' servings per carton.  In each serving is 11g of sugar... it absolutely says so right on the label.

We don't care about grams and calories here, so this is not a discussion we normally have and if you want to drink this, you totally can but it's definitely not the best choice.

• Moderators

One other thing.. that 'less than 1%' bit you found... that is on the ingredient panel and it means that in addition to the natural sugar found in the coconut water, they've ADDED not more than 1% MORE sugar.

Also, despite the name, coconut water is not lightly flavored water. It's juice. Drinking straight up apple juice or orange juice is not allowed (adding a little to a sauce or dressing to cut bitterness is okay or a little splash of juice in a big glass of water), so it stands to reason that just drinking straight up coconut juice is not allowed. 

Archived