mayo emulsifies too quickly, with very little olive oil

MamaSarahG

I found lots of posts about making mayo and people's mayo being too thin, but I seem to have the opposite problem. When making my mayo, I follow the recipe and as I slowly drizzle oil my mayo emulsifies quickly, with at least 1/2 cup of olive oil left. I worry if I pour the full amount the recipe calls for it will separate. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Sarah

• Moderators

I had a batch do that -- I think I was making a double batch maybe?  I do t remember why it was so different than my usual. Anyway, I stopped when it looked like mayo, even though I hadn't used as much oil as I expected to. It tasted fine and didn't separate in the fridge or anything. My opinion: if it looks and tastes good to you, just go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this happen. I started making it with a stick blender, but last time I used a regular blender so I wasn't having to hold the container against my body while I held the stick blender and poured oil with the other hand. I decided to make a slightly bigger batch because I've been making a lot of salad dressing and dip for our family, so I put in an extra egg, and didn't end up using as much oil as previously. I don't know if it was the blender or the egg or both, but it used a bit less oil than before. No difference in consistency or how it's stored in the fridge. Might actually be my favorite batch so far. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, and would maybe even rejoice a bit that it didn't take so much oil :)

Archived