Compliant Binge Guilt

I am on day 18 of my Whole30. I'm incredibly proud of myself for making it this far with no slip ups in non-compliant food! :)  Despite this, I have had two binge sessions; on day 10 and day 14. I have since removed all "trigger foods" from my diet (plantain chips, fruit, larabars, nuts) for the remainder of my Whole30. I have went four days without these foods and so far so good! I haven't experienced any cravings. In addition, I'm creating an after dinner ritual of drinking tea, brushing my teeth, and closing down the kitchen. This is when my binges normally occur. Binge eating was a major reason why I decided to do the Whole30, so although I have been compliant and feel as if I am taking the right steps to make the rest of my Whole30 a success, I'm battling some serious guilt about cheating myself out of a proper 30 days.

Has anyone else experienced this guilt or successfully overcame it through the Whole30? Are there any additional tips or tricks I could use to prevent this behavior in the future? 

You're not alone!  I'm planning to avoid nuts and nut butter for a while because it almost always turns into a binge for me.  I think your idea of an after-dinner ritual is brilliant!  I might try to implement that as well.  I think the Whole30 is all about the learning process, so I don't feel bad about the mistakes I've made while on it.  I've just learned something new about how my body and mind interact with food. :)

Definitely not alone! Part of my motivation for doing the Whole30 also was to address years on binge/emotional eating. I've also had a few compliant binge-type sessions. For me though, I'm still considering them a success. I'm still eating Whole30 complaint foods and did not let the binge slip into my pre-Whole30 binge preferences (breads, baked goods). 

For myself, the binge tendencies are deeply rooted and going to take way more than 30 days to solidify lasting change. BUT, this is my start and compliant binge or no, I'm still doing it successfully and moving forward :)

I had a similar experience Friday night.  Bought some truly excellent grapes on Friday and before I knew it, I'd eaten way, way, way too many after dinner.  Functionally no different than eating dessert to my brain, and it definitely woke up my sugar cravings.  So, for the rest of my Whole 30, I'm taking fruit off the table, as well as nuts.  Basically adding the "cravings buster" reset from Food Freedom Forever. 

I still feel like this is a successful Whole 30- this is just the type of information I need to make better decisions going forward.  I think you just need to adjust your mindset a bit- there's really nothing to be guilty about- you learned something and moved forward, that's awesome!

Don't beat yourself up over it, treat it as a learning experience and move on. At least you stayed compliant, recognize your problem and you can take steps to avoid the triggers.  Once you get into the good after-dinner habits, it will become second nature. Good on you! :D

My husband and I are on Day One, for the 4th time.  We decided that we were truly going to do a Whole 30.  So each time one of us messes up, we start all over again.  Our longest stint was 7 days.  His problem is late night popcorn.  Mine is diet coke and cheese.  Wish us luck!

On 1/19/2017 at 10:08 AM, njm94 said:

I am on day 18 of my Whole30. I'm incredibly proud of myself for making it this far with no slip ups in non-compliant food! :)  Despite this, I have had two binge sessions; on day 10 and day 14. I have since removed all "trigger foods" from my diet (plantain chips, fruit, larabars, nuts) for the remainder of my Whole30. I have went four days without these foods and so far so good! I haven't experienced any cravings. In addition, I'm creating an after dinner ritual of drinking tea, brushing my teeth, and closing down the kitchen. This is when my binges normally occur. Binge eating was a major reason why I decided to do the Whole30, so although I have been compliant and feel as if I am taking the right steps to make the rest of my Whole30 a success, I'm battling some serious guilt about cheating myself out of a proper 30 days.

Has anyone else experienced this guilt or successfully overcame it through the Whole30? Are there any additional tips or tricks I could use to prevent this behavior in the future? 

I am right there with you. And from what others are saying, know that: 1. You're not alone in this 2. count "choosing to move past the binge and continue forward with the journey" as a HUGE NSV! I don't know if you're like me, but typically I am an "all-or-nothing" person. Either do the program perfectly for 30 days, or give up entirely with any non-recommended/guily food behavior. To move past the food binge and guilt and keep moving forward is a major success. 

That being said, I would say: 1. Be patient (I'm on day 25 and am only just now experiencing freedom from (even compliant) food binges). You are learning new habits and behaviors and it may take awhile for them to sink in 2. Eat slightly bigger meals throughout the day 3. Remove all trigger foods from your plan for awhile (which it sounds like you did) 4. Distract yourself with any of the great suggestions given by others here 5. Keep a detailed journal to identify hidden or unknown trigger times/moods/foods/circumstances 

I am the same as you! I had a 'compliant' binge on nuts and some dates. I feel so guilty as I also joined whole30 to get my binge/emotional eating under control. I already eat mostly paleo due to intolerances but I have been known to binge waaaay to much on nuts, nut butters, dates and any raw/ paleo treats. Does my binge on nuts and dates mean a restart or is this a learning curve where I identify that it has occurred, these are psychologically unhealthy foods for me and they should be removed from my diet as I continue my journey ?! Help please! 

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I did Whole30 in January.  He binged on compliant cashews (from Costco!) Do you know how many cashews that was?  Too many!  After our 30 days , when we weighted in, he missed his goal by two pounds.  He confessed that the cashews may have been the cause.  He has not binged on anything like that since. Lesson learned. 

Archived