Why I quit the whole30

I just came across a blog post entitled: "Why I quit the whole30". There are a whole bunch of people who chimed in to agree that the whole30 had a negative impact for them. I realize that not everyone will receive the same benefits and the Tiger Blood, but I was surprised to see so many people with deleterious effects.

I was wondering if the authors have addressed this. What could be the cause?

I saw this a week or so ago, and for every single one of the responses, I had questions in my mind about what they were eating, and if they really were following the plan or appropriately troubleshooting, researching, and adjusting. I agree it was very disheartening for people to be so negative about it. But part of the journey is figuring out your body's specific needs, and it seems like most of them bothered to do it.

I had read that article before and at that point in time I thought people were just doing it (W30) wrong or something.  But, this is my second W30 and I'm actually not feeling so hot this time.  I've noticed many of the comments say they feel irritable/grouchy, which is definitely something I am dealing with right now.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to why that might be?  What would you tweak in someone's diet to help with that?  I wonder if there's any broad things that many of the people commenting on that article (as well as me) are doing that could be changed to make them less irritable. 

One of the reasons I thought the comments were crazy before is that many of the posters talked about drinking protein shakes regularly.  That's something I've never done.  I don't work out nearly enough (in frequency or intensity) to justify a protein shake.  

So, to clarify, what I want to ask is... if those commenters had posted here, what would you have suggested to them?  

My browser won't let me read that link. :mellow:  

It's only 30 days, no such thing as a Whole 365.  Many of us have only completed one W30. Only one is needed for diagnostic testing for the Food Reset.  

I hear stronger comments being made during repeat Whole 30's.  Are you doing more testing because you didn't do a reintro the first time.  Are you secretly dieting. The context really helps.

Years ago, it was advised that those with food disorders seek counseling rather than continuing on, if it triggered more disordered eating.  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, creativenikki said:

I had read that article before and at that point in time I thought people were just doing it (W30) wrong or something.  But, this is my second W30 and I'm actually not feeling so hot this time.  I've noticed many of the comments say they feel irritable/grouchy, which is definitely something I am dealing with right now.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to why that might be?  What would you tweak in someone's diet to help with that?  I wonder if there's any broad things that many of the people commenting on that article (as well as me) are doing that could be changed to make them less irritable. 

One of the reasons I thought the comments were crazy before is that many of the posters talked about drinking protein shakes regularly.  That's something I've never done.  I don't work out nearly enough (in frequency or intensity) to justify a protein shake.  

So, to clarify, what I want to ask is... if those commenters had posted here, what would you have suggested to them?  

It's hard to say exactly what we would have said to them. We would have asked them to list out what they've been eating, what their stress levels are, how much water they are drinking, what their sleep habits are like, are they salting their food, are they getting a fist sized serving (or more) of starchy veggie, are they adding enough fat, are they eating pre and post workout food, are they timing their meals correctly. Unfortunately a lot of what Whole30 is, tends to be a learning curve. It's different methodology than most people are used to and for that reason, if they are trying to cram their old habits into the new framework, there can be bumps along the way.

For you though, I recall you are breastfeeding? You weren't with your first Whole30 though, right? Are you eating enough? Four full template meals each day, starchy veggie, lots of fats, lots of water. We can chat about it if you want.

It just hit me, I've been on every bizarre diet you can think of.  The tried and true, the whacky jacky, widely known food delivery to the door, you name it and I've done it.

Why aren't any of those diets taken to task in the way W30 is?  Is it because it's highly visible with a great forum for support.  You don't hear of people throwing themselves on the ground with angst over drinking artificially sweetened cans of protein powder or the Cookie Diet, I can name many, many more but I won't.

You don't hear one word about deleterious effects from any of those agendas. I've seen rants because of animal rights and there was a member who wanted to eat worms and bugs. We have seen it all but why do people carry on about eating 3 whole meals aday and don't bat an eyeball at the 1000's and 1000's of diets that people do all on their own? 

What is the real agenda.  I ask myself that when faced with judgment.

I believe it has been said on the forums before and I know Melissa has addressed it but just because you are doing a W30 does not mean every thing you are experiencing good or bad is a direct result of the W30. Correlation does not equal causation. 

In regards to getting a bad rap...people don't like feeling like what they eat is unhealthy or that you are judging them for what they eat. When you say that you are cutting out all of these foods and why it does nothing but make them feel like what they eat is bad for them. I do W30 because it makes me feel good about myself. My body feels and looks better and that makes me a happier person. I could care less about whether my random co-worker who starts her day with two diet mountain dews thinks about what I eat. W30er's have to have a thick skin. 

Lastly, I have done the protein shakes, I lost 20 lbs quickly in 2012 by having slim fast for breakfast and lunch. But I was miserable. My skin was the worst it ever was. 

I just don't get why people get so turned off by my desire to eat real food! 

@ladyshanny  I'm done with breastfeeding, thank god.  I couldn't possibly eat 4 template meals a day... I have trouble with 3, honestly.  I was breastfeeding my DD for 13 months though, so stopping is a pretty recent thing.  In my case I think the irritability is just plain stress related.  Maybe that's really the most common issue?  What's really scary is that I'd probably just be feeling that much worse right now if I wasn't doing a W30.  

@MeadowLily @Karen Twin-Cities  I think Karen has it right about why W30 gets attacked more than other programs.  It's because it truly is threatening to people.  Let's face it, if there was no health consequence I would absolutely love to have Italian bread with olive oil every single day (substitute your favorite non-compliant food).  To be told that foods you love are bad for you sucks.  It's hard to accept, especially with so many conflicting messages out there.  Plus, IMO, seeing someone do something you wish you could do but are afraid to try, for whatever reason, just doesn't feel great.  Most people I know really cannot fathom giving up the foods you need to give up in order to do a Whole 30.  The fact that I do it and they can't/won't leaves them feeling bad about themselves, so they lash out by saying how "dumb" and "unnecessary" or even "unhealthy" it is.  I've seen (and exhibited myself) the same behaviors in other areas of my life.  Some of the comments I got from people when I live my cushy six-figure job to run my own business, for example, were quite harsh.  Yet, my decision had nothing to do with them and I certainly don't judge anyone for staying in a job they don't love or anything.  

Archived