struggling to find words/brain fog

Day 20 here. Feeling better minus some lingering tiredness. Anxiety and depression better which is great. Eczema still flaring up but may take a bit longer to heal.

However something that's been really troubling is I have been forgetting words/struggling to find them more than usual. It's something I do struggle with but it has gotten worse over the past week or two. 

I'm having enough water, starchy veg, salting my food etc.

You're not alone. I been feeling kinda dumb recently. The brain is made up of fat, but actually brain cells function on glucose (like all cells). I'm wondering if the change in glucose levels in the blood have something to do with it - like my brain is used to being super charged with sugar and now it's at normal speed. I'm imagining it adjusts over time. Or perhaps I need to eat more starchy veggies.. haven't been doing too much of that. 

16 hours ago, RandiW said:

You're not alone. I been feeling kinda dumb recently. The brain is made up of fat, but actually brain cells function on glucose (like all cells). I'm wondering if the change in glucose levels in the blood have something to do with it - like my brain is used to being super charged with sugar and now it's at normal speed. I'm imagining it adjusts over time. Or perhaps I need to eat more starchy veggies.. haven't been doing too much of that. 

weird! I'm still struggling. Can barely think straight this morning (day 23)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Shoranywatkins said:

I'm on day 21 and still feeling foggy

What do your meals look like @Shoranywatkins - you should not be feeling brain fog at this stage so it's likely that the composition of your meals needs tweaking...

ETA: Yes the brain is primarily made up of fat and therefore needs fat for brain health, and yes, the brain functions on glucose. However, the body can easily produce glucose by converting proteins for that purpose (provided you're eating enough protein - it's called gluconeogenesis) which is why only proteins & fats are considered as 'essential'.

I typically have a couple of eggs and some kind of fat for breakfast.  Today I also had a banana.  I also drink a lot of water.  The fog was in the morning only.  Lunch and dinner are pretty standard whole 30-- chicken, salad, avocado; or cooked meat and veggies.  Yesterday I had an apple, a Lara bar, and some dried mango, but most days have been 1-2 pieces of fruit only.  I'm drinking hot tea in the morning, but on the foggy day, I did have a cup of coffee instead.  Maybe I didn't drink enough water to counter that.

i am almost 59.  Maybe it just takes me longer?  I'm planning on staying on this diet after day 30 with the exception of trying yogurt again at breakfast.

It looks to me like you're possibly not eating enough. When you say a couple of eggs do you mean two? A serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping - I'm a 5'2" female and can hold four eggs when hungry. Also, you had no veg with this meal, and if the fat you  mention is the fat used to cook the eggs then you need more for sure. A small breakfast sets the tone for the day & can leave you playing catch up.

Also, fruit in morning can make you feel a little odd - it can impact blood sugar negatively having fasted overnight, so I'd suggest holding back any fruit until at least meal two.

Was the apple, larabar & dried mango a meal??

Are you salting your food?

Archived