February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

I have been sleeping so much this weekend! And I can't tell if it's just my body recovering from a long week at work, or I'm just more exhausted than usual. I go back to work tomorrow and that will be the real test. I'm really hoping that I can get a lot done tomorrow efficiently or I'm going to be miserable working overtime to accomplish everything that I hope to. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it sounds like many of us are going through some kind of tired, muscle fatigue, energy slump kind of thing.  I'm going to take that to mean that it's normal at this stage and just keep on keepin' on.  I'm sure we will rebound soon.  Go team!

So how are people doing with cravings?  I'm still having very strong, nearly overwhelming sometimes, cravings for non-compliant foods.  Chocolate and cheese mostly.  It's hard because my family is not doing w30 and I am surrounded by 'bad' food at home.  I walked in to the kitchen after work to pop my chicken thighs into the oven and ran into Italian bread, mac 'n cheese, pretzels, and chocolate sitting out on the counter (did I mention my family are also slobs?!)  All of a sudden I was SO HUNGRY.  I could have shoved that mac 'n cheese in my face with bare hands.  Opened the fridge and right at eye level is the cheese drawer and I wanted it so bad.  Instead I had olives, prosciutto, and salami and went for a nap.  It's just so hard!  I read all these people saying they have no cravings or are over their cravings by now... am I the only one who this is so hard for?

@Georgina2 Every now and then when I close my eyes the first thing I see is food. First it was cheese. I daydreamed about it every time my eyes were closed. Then it was artichoke dunked in mayonnaise. Those have been my only food dreams but man have they been intense.

As for the time I spend not dreaming, I have had SO many cravings! Everywhere I look I see food I cannot eat. Every time my boyfriend makes something I can't eat I stare at it longingly. I actually asked him if I could smell his ice cream yesterday because it looked so good, so you are definitely not alone. 

I have genuinely been enjoying a lot of the food I have made so far for W30, but man do I miss bread. While I've been having dreams of dairy items, the hardest for me has been the gluten grains. I love bread, and I'm praying I don't have negative side effects during my reintro period.

I am having cravings while I have this cold.  I want to eat what I usually eat when I'm sick.  somehow I think teriyaki chicken will make me feel better.  Also not getting to use my home remedies because they have  nonw30  components.

my family ahs been pretty goo about keeping their stuff away.  

Worst wa when we went to red Robin and they kept bringing us extra fries

14 hours ago, Carmen Azcona said:

the hardest for me has been the gluten grains. I love bread, and I'm praying I don't have negative side effects during my reintro period.

So this may not be the greatest idea if one has a poor relationship with foods/treats, but I like to find recipes and look for ways I intend to reintroduce some treats after 30 days while keeping compliant ingredients.  (I don't consider myself out of control around treats, but I'm sure I spend way too much time reading about food! :D ... most of it is to find W30-compliant meals, and I get sidetracked...)  I won't post the link just so it's not here looking like it's being endorsed as a Whole 30 item, but just look up "yuca pizza crust Predominantly Paleo" to find a grain-and-nut-free alternative with great reviews in case you want to try it before reintroducing grains/gluten.  I'm planning to go dairy-free and grain-free for at least a couple more months.  My head and sinuses are feeling really clear.  

We can do it!  Stay strong!      

1 hour ago, Christine_ said:

So this may not be the greatest idea if one has a poor relationship with foods/treats, but I like to find recipes and look for ways I intend to reintroduce some treats after 30 days while keeping compliant ingredients.   

I like that idea! I actually think I have a pretty good relationship with food, and am not worried about the psychological effects. If gluten ends up bothering me I will have to check out that recipe! 

I am impressed that you are going to go so long without either grains or dairy. I don't think I could do it. I'm basically counting down the days until my reintro.

Yesterday was a crazy day for me.  Had a huge meeting to prep for and attend in the afternoon, then workout in the evening, then my husband unexpectedly got called away for work and had an hour to pack and get out the door.  I ate well and stuck to the template and I had good energy all day, but I don't know if it was Tiger Blood or adrenaline.  I went to bed at 10pm and was awakened frequently by my allergies.  Got up at 7am and I feel awful today.  I had a hard time eating breakfast and only got 2 fried eggs down.  My body is exhausted and I don't know if it's from running so hard yesterday or allergies or Barre class (probably all 3) but I'm disappointed, because it makes me think that it was just adrenaline that got me through yesterday, and that I'm not actually getting any better. :(

Today is going to be rough because with my husband out of town I have extra kid duty, and I have run out of prepared food in the fridge so I need to cook.  Right now I'm just sitting at my desk wondering how I'm going to make it through the day.

@Georgina2 hang in there.  what is the easiest thing you can batch cook?  for me it is roast chicken and roast a veggie in the oven at the same time usually peeled baby carrots

my spouse was trying to comfort me in this cold and offered me toast for my chicken salad last night.  I was taken aback and probably didn't really communicate well

@JenHZ mmm.... toast.  That would make me cranky too.

Sadly I don't get paid until Friday so all I have to work with is what's in the freezer, which I think is ground beef, which I don't really like.  I'm not fond of the texture of ground meat.  Still, I think I can make some meatballs and just hide them under lots of tomato sauce.  I've got 3 eggplants that I want to make 'chips' out of, not sure how since I usually would grill them and the weather isn't right for that, and I'll bake up some potatoes with ghee, that's easy.  

@Georgina2 I made Mexican twice baked potatoes on Sunday.  They were very good, cheap to make and use ground beef.  The recipe is in the Whole30 Cookbook. 

I am in need of some wisdom from this awesome group.  I am going out to dinner for the first time since I started the Whole30 18 days ago.  Help!  One of my sisters wants to go to a Thai restaurant.  I don't know much about Thai food.  Would I easily find Whole30 compliant menu items?  If we go to a restaurant that serves your standard American fare what do you recommend?  I've been so good up to this point.  I'm worried about messing up tomorrow night and having to start my Whole30 all over!  Any and all advice is appreciated!!

@MaryLu Thai any Asian food is really hard.  most things are in sauce with soy.  may not be able to customize much.

standard American would be much easier.  if nothing else you could get lettuce and vinegar.  Many places do a 100% beef burger.  make sure it is not cooked on a grill with a bad oil.   I'd look at the eating out forum and if you have a book read the advice there.

eat first and take something discrete with you, like an epic bar

@MaryLu

The Thai places around here usually have their menus in three sections or so:  Curries, rice based dishes, and noodle based dishes.  The curry dishes are usually a combination of a protein (chicken, beef, shrimp, or tofu) and vegetables in a curry and coconut milk sauce.  Rice is usually served with them on the side.  It would be easy enough to pick a curry dish with a compliant protein and veggie mix (just make sure to exclude baby corn, they like to add that.  And skip the starter soup, it's usually miso based which has soy in it.  I eat a lot of Thai food).  BUT, you'd have to be really careful about what is actually in the coconut milk and curry sauce.  A quick google search came up with this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_curry

Curry paste[edit]

Thai curries are always made with a curry paste. Common ingredients used in many Thai curry pastes are:

Depending on the type of curry, additional ingredients for the paste can include spices such as turmeric, pepper, coriander seeds, cardamom pods, and cumin, or other ingredients such as boiled fermented fish,[10]and fingerroot. The ingredients for the curry paste are ground together, traditionally with a mortar and pestle and non-traditionally with an electric food processor. With many curries, the paste is first stir-fried in cooking oil before other ingredients are added in to the dish. Due to the oil's reaching higher temperatures than boiling water, this technique releases certain flavours from the spices and other ingredients in the paste which would not have been possible by only boiling it.

All looks good here, but my concern would be any extra ingredients specific to the restaurant and that the server probably wouldn't know every single ingredient, especially if their kitchen uses pre-bought mixes instead of making their own curries, so they might not advise you correctly.

Almost all curry-based sauces in Thai restaurants also contain sugar. Sugar sneaks into so many of the dishes -- even marinades for grilled chicken. Peanut and soybean oils are the most common (though some places also use palm and coconut), so definitely check that.

We cook about 25% Thai or Thai-influenced meals at home and it's easy to adapt them to fit Whole30 here, but at a restaurant, I'd probably request an off-menu meal based on common ingredients they use on the existing menu, like a plate of steam vegetables and shrimp. I think most restaurants would try to accommodate your needs if they can. 

I LOVE Thai food and have been making it a lot at home, but all of you are right about the sugar and soy when it's not DIY.  (The curry paste might be fine, but the sauce likely has additional noncompliant ingredients.) Our favorite restaurant has a really good entree of salmon in a lime/ ginger/ garlic sauce.  Maybe you could call ahead to see if they could prepare something like that and leave out the sugar & soy sauce so it's at least an enjoyable meal?  Plus steamed veggies as Eccentrica suggested.  It's not that much fun to have nothing but water and watch everyone else eat/drink. Good luck!

Finally Friday, is snowing in CO, so for lunch I have some home made soup, butternut squash, with salad and pork belly. it's almost day 20 on the whole 30 and I'm feeling great! not sure if I lost any pounds (of course that would be great) ,but some people that didn't saw me for a  couple of months were saying " you have lost many pounds, right?". I  don't think so because my clothes doesn't seem to be  bigger yet. I didn't even have the tiger blood that everybody is talking about. On the positive side, I made a chocolate cake with chocolate pudding and frosting and whipped cream for a coworker Bday party, but I didn't eat any, I also went to dinner at a friends  house and it was a wine testing party!! I was so nervous at first but I didn't drink and I didn't  feel bad about not having a glass of wine in my hand. Positive so far, I feel great, I'm happier, although nothing in particular have changed other than my diet. Believe it or not this program make something to your brain because when I was doing other diets I always will grab a piece of cake or a glass of wine thinking that nothing will happen  and it was just one party.Now I don't even feel like I need to have those things.

Did any of you decide how to do the reinsertion of foods, if in 10 days or in the long way mention in the book? 

Also do we must have to do the reinsertion ? or we can skip it.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't have any more acid reflux or feel bloated all the time, and I don't want to have all those feelings again.

i

@mcm I would do a reintro  in a very controlled way so you have a better chance at finding out what really caused those  problems, not just guessing. hopefully even if you reacted to every thing you would  only have a few days of symptoms instead of potentially a lifetime.

Anyone struggling with not weighing?  it keeps tempting me this w30.

16 minutes ago, JenHZ said:

Anyone struggling with not weighing?  it keeps tempting me this w30.

Yes! I've been trying not to think about my weight at all, but that has been a surprisingly strong temptation. I've avoided it, but I've definitely felt the pull to weigh in. It's been stronger than food temptations.

I think that's partly because my clothes don't really feel any looser. In fact, I was retaining water last week, so they even felt a bit tighter. I think the other part just comes from the fact that this is a new approach for me, and I'm inclined (on some level) not to fully trust the process to work with my body.

Last week, I was mentally telling myself that I'll be one of those rare people who actually gain weight on W30.  But I don't feel that way this week.

That's part of the W30 adventure — every week is so different, with new wins and challenges.

not weighing is tough, I've been tempted a lot.  I used to weigh myself at least twice a week.  A little obsessive, I know.

I've hit the, 'ugh, nothing looks good, I don't want to eat' phase.  It's partly because I have no food at home right now and desperately need to go grocery shopping.  I had roasted eggplant with bacon bits for lunch and spaghetti squash with a little leftover ground beef and avocado oil for dinner because there is no protein in the house!

Today was also rough because I pulled a muscle or something in my shoulder so I woke up in pain, then we had a HUGE storm brewing all day and the pressure gave me a really bad migraine.  I had to leave work early and go to bed and it didn't help at all, but the only way to not feel like two butcher knives were sticking into my head was to lay very still in a dark room.  I still am in pain but at least once the storm broke this afternoon it got a little better.  Anyway, it made me realize that my migraines have been much less on the whole30, so there's a nsv.  I just wish my skin would clear up....

I haven't figured out how to do my reintro yet.  I still don't know if I'm going to do 30 days or extend to 45, it depends on if I'm seeing more improvements in my gut and my cravings when I get closer to day 30.

I am feeling really good... Day 19!  I stopped my acid reflex medication this morning, and I am hoping I do good without it as it has really negative side effects for long term use, and I have been on it for YEARS!  Decreases bone density!  

Last time I purchased Jeans, I bought a size larger than I was because of how my weight fluctuates... I am back in the skinny ones!  Less than 3 weeks ago, I could not even get the buttons near each other.  I can see a difference in my face, and my fingers and ankles are not swollen every morning or by the end of the night.  I have not been thinking about the scales, but I would love to use that measuring tape!  I am okay as I feel really good, and when I look at myself in the mirror I see a strong beautiful woman!

@mcm I think I will stick with the strict eating for another week or so after the 30 days, just to see how it goes.  I am really afraid to re-introduce foods as I do not want the cravings.  This is the first time I have changed my diet without feeling hungry all the time.  After the first 10 days, walking by food without an urge to pick it up has been EASY.  I do not even miss my daily indulgence in wine!

I'm doing a nine day reintroduction after because I really want to see how different food groups affect my body. I'm skipping legumes because I hardly ever eat them anyway, and I already know that beans do not agree with me. My cravings had been coming to a stop which is fantastic. I looked at the bottle of soda I have in the garage today and the Snapples I used to keep for lunches and I was completely uninterested in them. I've been drinking cold unsweetened tea and La Croix waters and love them. I was a huge soda drinker and I do NOT want to go back to that. 

I know I will still be eating cheese and bread after Whole30, because life is short, and bread makes me happy but I'm hoping to reintroduce those things slowly, and in small amounts so that I continue to make good choices that keep me healthy, while still allowing myself to eat what I love. 

I have also had a hard time not weighing myself. I can't really tell if I've lost weight by looking at myself and there is a part of me that is having a hard time going without that kind of validation. Part of my reason for starting Whole30 was to lose weight and a few times today I looked at the scale and seriously thought about weighing myself but I didn't!! 

I don't know that I've gotten Tiger Blood yet, but my diet was awful before starting so I'm not surprised that it's taking me a little bit longer. 

Archived