February 6th begins the new "us"

Henderson Team

Good morning everyone! My name is Carmen and I would love to join your group! I also started Whole30 on the sixth. It has already been a rough journey and it's only day three! My diet beforehand was terrible, so I really felt it yesterday. It felt like there was a rock in my stomach, and I could barely sleep because of the pain. On the upside, I'm feeling much better already today.

I started whole30 because I'm unhappy with my diet and health. I was eating a lot of fast-food, and consuming a crazy amount of sugary drinks. While I miss my soda and Snapples I am sincerely hoping that thirty days without them will break that sugar habit. I've also been having more stomach issues and digestion issues in the past year so I'm hoping I can figure out which food group is causing that to eliminate it from my diet. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to day 3, everyone! I'm curious, what are people struggling with so far? Has anything been easier than you expected?

My biggest challenge this round has been lack of preparation. I decided to jump into my second Whole 30 literally the night before (after Super Bowl indulgences), although I know I've needed it for a while. Last time I had done a ton of prepping, so I didn't have to worry about meals. Fortunately, I know what's on and off limits much better this time.

I am surprised that my mind is so clear early (last time this started around week 2). I've been having some great ideas at work, and overall just feel more focused.

Hope everyone has a great day. :)

I'm struggling in the late morning.  I eat breakfast around 7 am and I'm starving around 10:30.  I'm not sure if it's because I do power yoga in the mornings and the breakfast just isn't enough?  I would appreciate any guidance here including snack ideas for when I absolutely cannot make it to lunch.

I love either a banana or Apple with cashew butter. Or bring a little extra protein and veg. The website says to have protein and carb dense vegetables so post workout fruit might not be the best. But I seem to need a little something between lunch and dinner so fruit and cashew butter or almonds do the trick for me

This is my 1st w30. I'm 45 and morbidly obese... 5'2", 260. I am the mom of 3 and picked up more weight with each pregnancy, never taking care of myself to take it off.  I've done many different programs, mostly WW. I can be successful, but continuing to eat trigger foods has lead me right back where I started. 

Believe it or not, I've remained 'healthy'. At my last doctors visit, only my triglycerides were slightly high. I know how lucky I am that I haven't developed health or joint problems. I started the w30 because I want to break they snacking/carb/sugar cycle!

My 16 year old is doing it with me. She is very fit but has a hard time transitioning off of swim season.  She comes home from school still feeling like she needs to eat as if she just finished a 3 hour practice. She's looking to change her relationship with food, to be able to make the right choices about when and what she eats.

The rest of the family is along for the ride for dinner simply because I won't make a separate meal for them.

Coffee was very sad for me day 1 because I hadn't found compliant unsweetened vanilla almond milk yet! Day 2 coffee was better but I was missing the sweetness. By day 3, it tasted good. I think I started my carb withdrawal hangover last night. Went to bed with a headache and woke up with it.

Meals are fine. It's the in between that I struggle with simply because I'd snack on foods, especially when prepping meals for the kids. I know I'll push through it.

So, that's my story. Looking forward to a better me in 30 days!!

My biggest struggle is not packing enough food, and not packing the right combinations of food. I made little egg banana omelets the first day for breakfast and I felt satisfied after but was starving a couple of hours later. I'm working on making sure I have a good combination of protein, carbs, and fat each meal so that I feel full longer. I have also reconfigured my snacks during the day so they are more satisfying. The first day I had a lara bar and banana which was not enough. It wasn't a great combination but yesterday I combined deli turkey, avocado, and carrots and felt much better.

I'm still working on getting the right combinations of food and working out how much I need to stay refreshed during the day. I went to the store yesterday and bought a bunch of things I can combine together when I need an emergency meal which is basically every day at work. I work an average of ten hours a day and I can't get through with just one breakfast and one lunch. 

I am so thankful for this forum. Welcome Conquista Girls. I've heard but haven't tried nut pods for the coffee. I put coconut milk (canned) in my coffee and love it. I'm on day three and struggling with a headache today but it's difficult to determine if it's diet or nerve related (I have a fun little condition). 

Glad you and your daughter are here. WELCOME

I'm doing surprisingly well. I want sugar in my coffee but really that's about it. Yesterday I woke up with a mild headache but it went away. 

I eat large meals. Which is nice. Always when I've tried to lose weight before I've been hungry ALL. THE. TIME. Now I'm not. 

For breakfast I had some sautéed mushroom, tomatoes, sweet potato and spinach with three eggs and an avocado. I'm up and eating at 5am and I noticed I needed a little more to make it to lunch around 1130 without snacking. 

I think the general rule is 4-5 hours between meals, I have been known to rely on the appetite suppressing properties of coffee if I must stretch it.

and I say any workout is worth trying a post workout and preworkout "meal" for at the start of your w30, you can figure out later which workouts don't' need it

my biggest challenge is eating when I'm outside the house, I can pack food if I plan ahead but sometimes it is hard to find a place to eat.  deliberate by food vendors I am sure.  sitting in my car in the winter at least means I don't' linger over meals. and at least I have a car as eating on the bus is the pits.

( coffee snob opinion - if you don't' like your brand of coffee black you need to buy a better brand)

after I finish meal 2 I better pack food for kid's orthodontist appointment today which will probably run over my next meal time

Thanks for welcoming me!  I wrote an introduction reply but I guess I didn't post it! 

I'm happily married (and doing the w30 alone) I have 4 kids 9,8,(almost) 2,6 mos (still breastfed) and 3 step kids. 

With 2 back to back pregnancies my body is shot! I was eating junk and being lazy. I hurt all over. And I was over it. So began this adventure. 

My mom and niece are doing it with me but I feel like I'm the driving force. 

I'd like to find a workout buddy. I used to do bodyrock and I want to get back into it but want someone to commiserate (complain!) with.  Glad to be part of the group! 

On a side note I added coconut cream and (homemade) ghee to my coffee and it hit the spot! 

Hi there - joining the club! I started on the 6th and so far, so good. No headaches today and I've felt focused and energetic all day.

I'm a 38-year-old single mom to a 9-year-old daughter and my diet has progressively gotten worse and worse as life as gotten busier and busier. I was drinking a giant sugar filled coffee for breakfast, usually fast food for lunch and eating a snack style dinner (hello, frozen pizza) after the kiddo was asleep after 9:00. I'm not looking to necessarily lose weight, but need to FEEL better. Even when I get a great night's sleep, I'm dragging the next day. My gut is always unhappy with me and I feel generally puffy (or, I guess inflamed) more often than I should. I also want to learn to cook new foods and set a good example for my kiddo. 

So far, I'm only dying for coffee with creamer in the morning. I've gone black, but it just doesn't do it for me. I did just get Nutpods (ordered on Amazon) and I think they'll make my mornings happier. 

Currently trying to decide what's for dinner...

Hey Heidi welcome... Try coconut milk in your coffee. I use the canned Thai version which I love. For dinner ideas check out Mel Joulwan's website for her Whole 30 company meals. I LOVED tandoori chicken with the pineapple cauliflower rice and my chutney. SO satisfying

Heading down to prepare the third meal of the day on day three and I am already sick of cooking.  For Pete's sake, cooking/food prepping three times a day is ridiculous.  

On 2/6/2017 at 7:33 AM, annieb11 said:

Hey everyone! I started yesterday but there doesn't seem to be anyone else that did, so I'm going to join this group instead! Best of luck to everyone on day one...it wasn't as bad as I thought!

I started Sunday! How's it going? I was totally wrecked on Monday (super tired, groggy, etc) but have been feeling better since. 

I have a ton of chicken cooked. I figure if I'm Cooking it once I should cook enough for a while. Also I did  5 jar salads on Sunday. That way they'd be there no matter what. Now I just cut up whatever I'm sautéing. 

Tomorrow I'm going to cook a big  quiche so I don't have to cook as often. Just heat it up. 

I have a ton of chicken too and need some new things to do with it. A quiche is a great idea! I made prosciutto + egg cups the other night and have had them the past two mornings. They are super easy and work great to bring to work and heat up once I'm hungry. They would even make a good on the top lunch with a salad on the side. 

ps - my co-worker brought me a Starbucks mocha this morning and I happily passed it off to someone else. There's something very empowering having the strength to say "nope" to temptations :)  

So, with day three almost done... I can say that today was better as  I did not get the 3:15 sugar craving! 

I am definitely looking forward to my sleep leveling out, as the last two nights have been not so restful. 

No head aches yet, so I guess things are going good.

Hope everyone had a great day!

I also started Feb 6 and making some great meals - excited to keep exploring the different recipes.  Anyone else feeling super low on energy?  I took a nap this afternoon and I NEVER take naps.  I also snapped at my husband last night - I think I am either hangry or my body is reacting to the internal changes :)

3 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

Heading down to prepare the third meal of the day on day three and I am already sick of cooking.  For Pete's sake, cooking/food prepping three times a day is ridiculous.  

Georgina,

If you have one day or half a day free a week that you can devote to meal prepping do it. Sunday I made a casserole for my lunches and a shepherd's pie with rutabaga instead of potato for dinners for a few nights. If you don't want to eat the same thing a few nights in a row, spend one day making a few marinades, stick frozen chicken in with the marinade in bags and put them back in the freezer and then your meat is ready to bake whenever you need it.

You can also chop all of your veggies for the week and stick them in bags for each day so you just have to throw them in a steamer or a pan, or roast them on a tray in the oven. 

It is exhausting prepping and cooking for each meal. For breakfast, you can substitute cooking eggs with hardboiled eggs that you make ahead of time. Then you just need to add which ever carb and fat you prefer. 

I started  Sunday so I'm on day 4, I'm finally getting enough "leftovers" in my fridge to not have to cook every meal.  I have a wipe off board on my fridge and write the date and what is leftover on it.  when I get to a meal I don't have a plan for I pick 1 protein and 2 veg from the top of the list.  things run out at different rates so meals don't' really repeat

Jen that is super smart!

I intended to prep on Sunday but various things got in my way,. I hope to be better this coming weekend. 

I am having horrible stomach cramps tonight and am bloated, I think it's all these vegetables I'm not used to. Anyone else going through that?

Archived