Actual Ounces of Protein, Vegs, Fats

VIH

What would be the actual ounces of the food groups per meal?  I have very, very small hands compared to the size of my body.  I do not want to overeat but do not want to be hungry.  At some point during my research before starting the program I found a pdf that indicated  the specific ounces of each food group per meal.  I can not locate this file.  

Please give me advice.  Palm sized is not working for me.  

I am on day 4 of the program and have not really experienced the negative side effects that I have read in the book.  I am concerned I may be eating too much.  I have limited the fruit to 1-2 very small servings per day eaten with my meal.  

Thanks for the advice.

If not the template, what metric have you been using the past 3 days? You are concerned you may be eating too much, so perhaps a few meals using your actual palms for protein (2 is ok too), thumbs for fat, and filling the rest of the plate with vegetables might be a good test? Monitor satiety and performance and adjust accordingly.

I am using the template  which I found on the WHOLE30 site.  I am searching for another type of template that actually listed the ounces.  I found it once, but cannot locate it.  I need to know the actual number of ounces of protein per meal.  Based on my hand and foot size, I should only be about 5 feet tall.  I am almost 5'6''.  Using the palm of my hand is not working for me.   Any help in locating the template with ounces would be helpful.  Thanks,  Vicky

14 minutes ago, VIH said:

I am using the template  which I found on the WHOLE30 site.  I am searching for another type of template that actually listed the ounces.  I found it once, but cannot locate it.  I need to know the actual number of ounces of protein per meal.  Based on my hand and foot size, I should only be about 5 feet tall.  I am almost 5'6''.  Using the palm of my hand is not working for me.   Any help in locating the template with ounces would be helpful.  Thanks,  Vicky

Don't overthink it, Vicky. Just eat two palms AND your fats and veggies and then evaluate.  You are nourishing yourself following the template, not "eating too much" and many new Whole30-ers are tempted to undereat, which will not lead to getting the most out of your 30 days. 

• Moderators

There is no actual ounces to tell you... my actual ounces and the actual ounces of a 6'5" man would be very different...

I understand that the palm size doesn't seem to be working for you... have you tried eating to the top end of the template? that would be two palms and say a whole avocado... it's not a science tho... it's an experiment of one... eat a meal, note how much you ate and then assess in 4-5 hours... if you are hungry before that, then you know you should eat more... 

It's VERY hard to eat too much on a whole foods way of eating... the food is incredibly nourishing and satiating, so unless you're eating a ton of 'snacky' foods like dried fruit, nuts, larabars etc... you're going to find it very hard to overeat.

57 minutes ago, Guadopt1997 said:

I wonder what "occasionally" means in "occasionally add a fruit serving" since, for example, in the sample menu for week 1, it says fruit at breakfast AND at lunch. 

@Guadopt1997  Recommendations are something along the lines 1-2 servings of fruit, with a meal, a day if desired.  0 is also fine if you don't like fruit.

Fruit intake

Our meal template recommends around two servings of fruit per day, eaten with your meals (and not on their own as “dessert” or a snack). However, that’s just a starting point, not a hard and fast mandate. We’re really not concerned with the amount of sugar in whole foods, in the context of a Whole30 diet. It also makes sense to eat more fruit in summer, and less in winter, so your intake in August may look like five servings a day, and just one or two in January. However, if eating fruit awakens your Sugar Dragon or you find yourself using it to satisfy an old sugar craving, we encourage you to take a good, hard look at when, how often, and why you are incorporating fruit (especially dried fruit) into your Whole30.

I was thinking a serving of eggs was three, since the frittata from the seven-day menu calls for six and says it's two servings. But then I saw the "prefect fried egg" recipe, 4 eggs, two servings. It's confusing! And eggs are not in the template!

Never mind! I just saw that there's a whole topic on this and will read it immediately!

Archived