Start date 1/23/17

marnold

Hello friends,

I have been lurking for most of the week and finally got around to making an account last night. My name is Ondrea. I am 29 years old, 5'4 ~ 105lbs, and what I consider "skinny-fat". I am naturally small, but out of shape due to a lack of exercise, but you couldn't tell this by looking at me. Friends/family keep yelling at me about going on a "diet", saying that I don't need to lose weight etc etc, because they are uninformed on the bigger picture of W30. I am not doing this to lose weight, but to learn how to make better dietary decisions, break my sugar and dairy addiction and see what I am capapble of! I joined the forum to have a like minded place to get advice, vent, and hopefully learn a bit.

I started Monday 1/23, this is my first W30 and my husbands second. I thought I would be just fine as (in my own words) "I don't eat as much crap as you." Who's laughing now, as he has no aches, pains, or cravings to speak of, while I feel totally off! Because of this, it has been hard to talk to him about how I am feeling without making it sound like complaining, since he cannot really relate to my symptoms.

Anyway, I have chronic upper back muscle tension which has really flared up since starting (I already take magnesium daily for it), and usually triggers a headache/migraine. The muscle tension kicked into high gear last night (day 4), and even though I don't feel very "KILL ALL THE THINGS", I do have more aches and pains upon waking, my upper spine is killing me and have been sleeping like absolute garbage. I feel as if I am not getting into a deep state of sleep at night and wake exhausted. I eat until full, but within 2 hours am starving again. All I do is think about when and what I can eat next, it's mentally draining and irritating!

Food wise, I have felt hungry/tired/unsatisfied/weak since starting the program. I will include a example of my daily meals/snacks as any additional guidance is appreciated. Almost one week in, and I keep repeating "WHY DID I DO THIS STUPID PROGRAM" in my head, lol.

B - 2 Egg and bacon scramble cups with bell peppers, Hot tea with coconut milk

S - 1 banana, a handful of baby carrots

L -  Scratch Chicken soup with bone broth loaded with carrots, celery, and collard greens. 1 handful blueberries as "dessert"

S - 1 medium apple, handful raw almonds (which I hate. Never been a nut fan)

D - Pepper steak - Steak, bell peppers, onions sauteed in coconut aminos and beef broth with gelatin and arrowroot powder to thicken. Served over cauliflower rice

S - Usually a small piece of fruit

I drink water all day, 35-60 oz total. I also take a whole food multi vitamin, 35bil probiotic, 5000 vit D and 200-500mg high absorbtion mag glycinate

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KNB said:

I don't like sweet potatoes and yams (which are the big go-to's for starch) but I like regular potatoes. The moderator also added rhutabaga, turnips, beets, and plaintains to this list and said to add a fistful each day. Hope this helps my sister and brother snifflers!

I do love sweet potatoes (the shepherd's pie was so good). But I also love roasted turnips, though I've never made them myself. Plantains are delicious but I've also never made them. Bet they'd be good with coconut oil!

For those of you who do not like sweet potato, try making it with the recipe for the shepherd's pie. I thought it was really good. And I have a chicken sausage w/ apple from Aidell's that I've decided is compliant because: chicken (check), dried apple (check), salt, fruit juice concentrate (check), and celery power in a pork casing. Hmmm.... well, I don't know about the pork casing...

Yesterday I made the beef brisket and it's good but not worth the cost I don't think, unless it's a special occasion.

I was just feeling like I'm on a honeymoon period with this Whole30 thing at the moment and I'm glad not to be weighing myself because, to be honest, I'll be truly bummed if I'm not losing weight.

2 hours ago, Akdre said:

L -  Scratch Chicken soup with bone broth loaded with carrots, celery, and collard greens. 1 handful blueberries as "dessert"

I'm new at this too but there's no protein in two of your snacks and very little in your lunch unless the soup had tons of chicken in it? For the last year I have been following David Ludwig's "Always Hungry?" diet, which is very similar to this (except it allows dairy). From that I learned that fruit on its own is a no-no. It just makes your blood sugar rise. Not as much as candy of course, but still.  Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, Guadopt1997 said:

For those of you who do not like sweet potato, try making it with the recipe for the shepherd's pie. I thought it was really good. And I have a chicken sausage w/ apple from Aidell's that I've decided is compliant because: chicken (check), dried apple (check), salt, fruit juice concentrate (check), and celery power in a pork casing. Hmmm.... well, I don't know about the pork casing...

Yesterday I made the beef brisket and it's good but not worth the cost I don't think, unless it's a special occasion.

I was just feeling like I'm on a honeymoon period with this Whole30 thing at the moment and I'm glad not to be weighing myself because, to be honest, I'll be truly bummed if I'm not losing weight.

Guadopt1997 - that is the exact chicken sausage I was dealing with. :)  I found it somewhere on this forum as a compliant one and I had read that fruit juice could be used in cooking so as I read through the ingredients at Target I checked off each one as compliant.  Then someone mentioned the concentrate wasn't compliant because it likely containted sugar, but this morning I read through the forums again and found several that consider that specific brand/flavor compliant so I'm going with that!  Glad to hear you are using that one as well.  It's really good and I don't intend to eat a ton of it but it's nice to have something quick at home.  

I'm with you on using the scale, I know that I would get super discouraged if I decided to weigh myself so I am avoiding it - I put it away and hope to not look at it again until Day 31, however, my wedding ring is feeling pretty loose today so hopefully that's a good sign! 

2 hours ago, Akdre said:

Hello friends,

I have been lurking for most of the week and finally got around to making an account last night. My name is Ondrea. I am 29 years old, 5'4 ~ 105lbs, and what I consider "skinny-fat". I am naturally small, but out of shape due to a lack of exercise, but you couldn't tell this by looking at me. Friends/family keep yelling at me about going on a "diet", saying that I don't need to lose weight etc etc, because they are uninformed on the bigger picture of W30. I am not doing this to lose weight, but to learn how to make better dietary decisions, break my sugar and dairy addiction and see what I am capapble of! I joined the forum to have a like minded place to get advice, vent, and hopefully learn a bit.

I started Monday 1/23, this is my first W30 and my husbands second. I thought I would be just fine as (in my own words) "I don't eat as much crap as you." Who's laughing now, as he has no aches, pains, or cravings to speak of, while I feel totally off! Because of this, it has been hard to talk to him about how I am feeling without making it sound like complaining, since he cannot really relate to my symptoms.

Anyway, I have chronic upper back muscle tension which has really flared up since starting (I already take magnesium daily for it), and usually triggers a headache/migraine. The muscle tension kicked into high gear last night (day 4), and even though I don't feel very "KILL ALL THE THINGS", I do have more aches and pains upon waking, my upper spine is killing me and have been sleeping like absolute garbage. I feel as if I am not getting into a deep state of sleep at night and wake exhausted. I eat until full, but within 2 hours am starving again. All I do is think about when and what I can eat next, it's mentally draining and irritating!

Food wise, I have felt hungry/tired/unsatisfied/weak since starting the program. I will include a example of my daily meals/snacks as any additional guidance is appreciated. Almost one week in, and I keep repeating "WHY DID I DO THIS STUPID PROGRAM" in my head, lol.

B - 2 Egg and bacon scramble cups with bell peppers, Hot tea with coconut milk

D - Pepper steak - Steak, bell peppers, onions sauteed in coconut aminos and beef broth with gelatin and arrowroot powder to thicken. Served over cauliflower rice

I drink water all day, 35-60 oz total. I also take a whole food multi vitamin, 35bil probiotic, 5000 vit D and 200-500mg high absorbtion mag glycinate

Welcome!  I share your feelings from the first week around food - I'm hopeful this will turn around and my sleep was definitely irregular too.  I am cutting out routine snacks so the first few days I could tell I just wasn't eating enough at my meals to keep me full so I'm playing around with eating more at each meal so I can make it through without snacks.  I'm not suggesting you need to cut out snacks but just the possibility that you aren't eating enough in the day, paying extra attention to healthy fats.  It definitely took me a few days to work that out before I wasn't feeling hungry.  I hope that helps and hopefully others will have suggestions for you.  Good luck on your program!

Ugh! I too am encountering the "suck" today.  I started on monday the 23rd as well and have been doing fairly well. But today has been challenging and frustrating.  I wanted so bad to just break out of it and eat our normal friday night pizza, I thought if I came here to read how everyone else was doing, that it might keep me in line.  So to that, thank you!! I am not alone!  :P

Welcome KNB!  Your menu sounds great. 

Jackson-I was in the suck yesterday, I am feeling better today for the most part.  The pain is less but less than unbearable still stinks.  

Ondrea- I  think maybe protein will fill you up more.  I am feeling as if the pain is getting better

Gu-I cant wait to try shepherds pie.  It looks yummy.  

I went grocery shopping today so I should be good for the next week.  I made roasted chicken breasts earlier this week, the kind on the bone and made double because the pack had 4.  Tonight I chopped up the meat and made a chicken and roasted vegetable soup, the recipe called for kale added at the end.  It was so yummy.  I can't wait to have left overs.  

I am going to a memorial celebration for an old friend that died at age 43.  He was a non compliant diabetic which led to him having a kidney transplant, then have his foot amputated.  The kidney failed and he passed.  He is one reason I am doing this program.  It will be challenging but, I have already packed everything I will need to eat.  I am so glad that we are having so many active members!  

Have a great night everyone.

Here we are, it's a new day everyone! I hope you are all hanging in there. 

The dinner I made for guests last night came out great. I added a small beet salad for the extra starch.

Today I have horrible congestion and a sinus headache. It's miserable and I am travelling all day to visit my stepsons. I'm going to see if I can find some herbal tea that will work on this congestion. And I will pack my food for the trip.

I found that adding starch to my diet helped my energy quite a lot yesterday. 

Also, my brain is really foggy! Phew, I can't remember anything. Will be glad when this passes.

Hi all. I started my whole30 Tuesday and it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I already cut out dairy for the past year so cheese was not an issue. I find that I'm having a hard time with bread and baked goods. Oh, and wine. I miss wine. Hopefully I can keep it going!

Hi All,

I started my first Whole 30 January 9th and am now 20 days in! I honestly didn't think I would make it this far and had similar issues that you days had on day 5, but just a warning I know it seemed like a long way away but something happened on Day 17 where it clicked. I was finally hitting my stride! It took 2 and a half weeks but the only cravings I really have anymore are for a large piece of chocolate cake or chocolatey dessert in general, which I think is normal. Cheese, bread, soda, all that just sort of doesn't enter my mind anymore. 

Also I am sleeping like a baby and have lost 10 lbs (I know I know, you're not supposed to weight yourself).

Good luck to all of you early on in your journey! Also I sort of got tired of cooking this week so I decided to try Pete's Paleo, a sort of Blue Apron that is Whole30 approved, I will report back once I get my first pack of 5 meals!

Hey all! I started the 23rd also, mind if I jump in??

This past week was rough... Between wanting to sleep all day, kill of the things, eat all of the things, and a headache that made me go to bed at 6:30pm, I have desperately wanted to give up. But I haven't!! I keep reminding myself that this phase will pass quickly and I'll soon have much more energy than I've had in a very long time, I'll have a happier demeanor, I'll have self-control when it comes to food, and I'll feel healthier than I have in a very long time, maybe even the healthiest in my life! 
I've had one food dream and it wasn't too bad, mostly just weird... I was at my mom's church drinking a huge glass of straight tequila. And smoking. which was especially weird because I have never smoked and have no desire to... haha! 

Today I'm still leaning towards wanting to kill all of the things. I'm not super tired like I have been but I definitely don't have much energy. I believe the technical term is "feeling blah".
For whatever reason I'm dreading making a new meal plan and going grocery shopping. I think I just feel a lack of motivation and I know all of my old comfort foods (as well as foods that I used to find repulsive but have suddenly become very desirable) will be calling my name. I kept this past week extremely simple with food. I loathe cooking and knew I would drop the Whole30 within hours if I felt I had to cook up elaborate meals every meal or even every night. This week felt manageable and I have decided I am going to add in one or two more elaborate dinners to excite my tastebuds. I believe the Chicken Cacciatore is calling my name. 

Question: Has anyone else struggled with feeling guilty if they enjoy a food? 
I feel silly but if I enjoy a cup of coffee, a stir fry, or an apple with some almond butter I feel guilty... I'm not consuming these things to satisfy my sugar dragon but I keep having thoughts that if I'm enjoying something I am somehow feeding that dragon and never going to successfully slay him. 

All of the Whole30 good vibes to you all!

Kelsey, I know what you mean about feeling guilty. Last night I had a meat stick and some coconut before going to bed because the night before I'd had such a hard time falling asleep since I was hungry. Still, I felt a little guilty because it felt snacky and I have not been snacking. 

I think it's a great idea to make a couple of elaborate meals. Then you have leftovers! Let us know how the chicken cacciatore is!

So hey guys ! We made it to and through day 6. If you're still struggling with a headache, it does go away. I had one for three days when I first gave up sugar and wheat. What an eye opener! To realize that my body was addicted to wheat! Physically addicted. After that I spent several days not very hungry. Now my appetite is back. How about yours? 

Today I made spaghetti squash spaghetti with the thrive market marinara. Man that sauce is good! The squash was doable. No real brags there except if I ate it only a few strands at a time it felt like spaghetti... I baked mine in compliant chicken broth. 

I feel like all the people who aren't doing this with me, but know about it because I asked them to, are judging me. I also feel like they don't believe I have been 100% compliant because they'll go "how's that crazy diet you're on?" And use the words "mm hmm" a lot when I tell them I'm still doing the Whole30. At this point I have no desire to eat anything noncompliant... I did not say I didn't CRAVE it though. At least now we know the difference!! 

So I found this salad dressing at the local Grocery. Brianna's Homestyle French Vinegrette ... oh it's the yum!!

it compliant right? 

IMG_6379.PNG

IMG_6380.PNG

44 minutes ago, Clearlyiamdisturbed said:

So hey guys ! We made it to and through day 6. If you're still struggling with a headache, it does go away. I had one for three days when I first gave up sugar and wheat. What an eye opener! To realize that my body was addicted to wheat! Physically addicted. After that I spent several days not very hungry. Now my appetite is back. How about yours? 

Today I made spaghetti squash spaghetti with the thrive market marinara. Man that sauce is good! The squash was doable. No real brags there except if I ate it only a few strands at a time it felt like spaghetti... I baked mine in compliant chicken broth. 

I feel like all the people who aren't doing this with me, but know about it because I asked them to, are judging me. I also feel like they don't believe I have been 100% compliant because they'll go "how's that crazy diet you're on?" And use the words "mm hmm" a lot when I tell them I'm still doing the Whole30. At this point I have no desire to eat anything noncompliant... I did not say I didn't CRAVE it though. At least now we know the difference!! 

So I found this salad dressing at the local Grocery. Brianna's Homestyle French Vinegrette ... oh it's the yum!!

it compliant right? 

IMG_6379.PNG

IMG_6380.PNG

Hello Clearly! Here's the official advice on canola oil:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

Tessamae's has several dressings that are compliant or you can make your own with olive oil and various spices/vinegars. 

Hi all! It is great to see everyone is figuring out how to get through this transition with their own style. For me, the cooking part has been easy since I love to cook.  I did sign up for the meal planner, but I don't find the app very easy to use. I wish it would let you slide objects around better and to get to recipes from the edit mode, oh well.

I am feeling great today. Yesterday (day 6) was also feeling great. In the morning a took a trip with a girlfriend to Whole Foods (a 70 minute drive for me). I wanted to stock up on some grass-fed and pasture raised meats that my local store doesn't always carry. The trip was a success and I learned that I could not find ham or Canadian bacon that doesn't have sugar...I read a lot of labels! My local health food store does carry a paleo bacon - this is good since it is one thing that makes my husband a little happier about eggs for breakfast.

We made it through a 2.5 hour movie and didn't even think about popcorn. Of course it was pretty easy since I really don't like the big-chain movie theater corn with the fake butter. Today it may be a different story as we are going to our local independent theater and they use real butter on their corn.  No worries though. I will go in full from lunch so not have to worry about being hungry.

This morning I have been busy cooking to support our meals throughout the week. It is 10:30 and I have:

• baked 4 sweet potatoes
  • baked a chicken
  • baked (white sweet potato, green pepper, green onion, ground sausage, egg ) muffins
  • baked slices of cabbage with garlic powder and ghee
  • baked bacon
  • made a butternut squash soup (coconut oil, fresh tumeric, fresh ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, onion, garlic, thyme, chicken stock and coconut milk)
  • made a cabbage, carrot, apple, cranberry (dried with apple juice), walnut, tessemae's mayo - slaw

Now am sitting down, resting my feet and going to do the recommended review of week one. The resting my feet part (or foot pain) is one of the reasons I am doing this work to get clean. I have had a problem with my right foot and I think some of my issue is around inflammation in my ankles. This week I will be seeing a doctor about it and hope to get to PT to strengthen my ankle.

Thanks for listening and good luck with your day.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:22 AM, Guadopt1997 said:

OMG, I had a dream last night (just like the Daily 30 said) that I ate something noncompliant and then I spent the rest of the dream trying to justify not going back to day 1. I need to remember the dream if I ever am tempted to cheat!!!

Welcome, KNB, glad you finally found us!

Cindy 0, now that you mention it...phlegm! Could we all just have colds?

I don't have any other cold symptoms and the phlegm is lessening. I did add a 1/2 an avocado to my salad each day since day 3 and maybe that extra healthy fat is helping?

12 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Hello Clearly! Here's the official advice on canola oil:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

Tessamae's has several dressings that are compliant or you can make your own with olive oil and various spices/vinegars. 

Earlier in the week I ordered the Whole30 box from Tessemae's online and it arrived yesterday. Last night I tried the Zesty Ranch on my salad and it was pretty good, light tasting. I'm exited to try the balsamic dressing. My husband used the bbq sauce on some pork last night and it satisfied his need for sauce on meat (not my thing).

1 hour ago, Cindy O said:

This morning I have been busy cooking to support our meals throughout the week. It is 10:30 and I have:

• baked 4 sweet potatoes
  • baked a chicken
  • baked (white sweet potato, green pepper, green onion, ground sausage, egg ) muffins
  • baked slices of cabbage with garlic powder and ghee
  • baked bacon
  • made a butternut squash soup (coconut oil, fresh tumeric, fresh ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, onion, garlic, thyme, chicken stock and coconut milk)
  • made a cabbage, carrot, apple, cranberry (dried with apple juice), walnut, tessemae's mayo - slaw

Thanks for sharing how you cook and prepare for your week!  This is really helpful to me. I was just thinking about what I can do today to get ready for the week. I am just learning how to be a regular, everyday cooking person, so this is a helpful guide.

Day 7!

Thanks to everyone who replied to me with suggestions. I upped both my protein and fat and noticed a significant difference. I have been feeling much more myself which is a huge relief. 

I was able to go out to dinner for a friends birthday and not cheat. Had a generally unsatisfying Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, but made sure to eat before going so I wasn't starved! Also have been having weird food dreams full of noncompliant, sugary things (candy corn, anyone?)

Attempted to replicate sweet potato casserole with coconut milk, ghee, nutmeg and cinnamon. It came out really good!! (Not as wonderful as the original, but a damn tasty W30 approved sub!)

No increase in energy yet, I cannot wait for that to kick in, especially because I work rotating 12-hour shifts with overnights!

Best wishes on day 7 to everyone 

Yeah for Day 7!

I made it successfully through the whole day yesterday of travelling to see my stepsons yesterday -- I brought sufficient snacks and we ate lunch at Whole Foods where the boys could have the delicious hamburgers and I found Paleo chicken on the food bar.  It's great to go to a place like Whole Foods where they list ingredients to everything on the food bar.  Dinner was at a mexican restaurant, so I ordered fajitas and at the "insides" only -- chicken, shrimp, steak, peppers and onions. 

This morning I woke up still entirely stuffed up with congestion so I broke down and used a nasal spray, which seems to be helping.

My energy is still pretty low but I haven't had any cravings. I was worried when I started W30 that I would be driven mad by cravings but I'm happy to say I don't have cravings AND I don't feel hungry.

Soon I'll get started on some cooking to prepare for the week.  I will do at least the following:

- Boil a dozen eggs

- Make an egg frittata that will last all week for my breakfasts

- Bake 2 - 3 potatoes (I can't eat sweet potatoes, so regular potatoes work fine for me)

- Maybe do 1 or 2 things Cindy did -- like that make that 'slaw she listed

- Cook a pound or two of bacon

Good luck to everyone on their Day 7!

Kathy

5 hours ago, Cindy O said:

The trip was a success and I learned that I could not find ham or Canadian bacon that doesn't have sugar...I read a lot of labels! My local health food store does carry a paleo bacon - this is good since it is one thing that makes my husband a little happier about eggs for breakfast.

For Cindy O - I was unable to find Whole30 compliant bacon in any store I went to so I just went to the link that was provided in the back of the Whole30 book for Naked Bacon: http://nakedbaconco.com/  So far I have tried their Whole30 complaint bacon and sausage links, BIG fan of the bacon, not so fond of the sausage. I am awaiting my 2nd delivery to come some time next week!

Welcome KNB!  Your menu sounds great. 

Jackson-I was in the suck yesterday, I am feeling better today for the most part.  The pain is less but less than unbearable still stinks.  

Ondrea- I  think maybe protein will fill you up more.  I am feeling as if the pain is getting better

Gu-I cant wait to try shepherds pie.  It looks yummy.  

I went grocery shopping today so I should be good for the next week.  I made roasted chicken breasts earlier this week, the kind on the bone and made double because the pack had 4.  Tonight I chopped up the meat and made a chicken and roasted vegetable soup, the recipe called for kale added at the end.  It was so yummy.  I can't wait to have left overs.  

I am going to a memorial celebration for an old friend that died at age 43.  He was a non compliant diabetic which led to him having a kidney transplant, then have his foot amputated.  The kidney failed and he passed.  He is one reason I am doing this program.  It will be challenging but, I have already packed everything I will need to eat.  I am so glad that we are having so many active members!  

Have a great night everyone.

Ok, I  never posted that last post for some reason,  so here is a new one.  I finally woke with no pain.  I spent the early part of the day cleaning.  

The memorial was good, I shared with some friends my commitment to whole 30 and being compliant in my diabetic care.  I can actually proclaim that I am insulin free and have had steady not elevated blood sugars for 3 days now!  

I am doing real plans and I finally figured how to work it.  I have watched several videos multiple times!  Its easiest on a desktop!  

Going in to do some meal prep for the week.  

Archived