Finding and Losing

My husband and I started a Whole 30 together 34 days ago. We actually did a Whole 31 and a Whole 32, respectively.

My NSV include:

* My skin is looking really good. No acne at all except for that time of the month.

* My right knee, which bothers me, has not bothered me in over two weeks.

*I am sleeping way better than I think I ever have for as long as I can remember (like my whole life!). 

* Not a NSV but I lost a few pounds, not as much as I hoped but still less now that a month ago.

* I lost 5 1/2 inches off my waist. I did not measure anywhere else so that's all I know about. 

* I can breathe. I used to use nasal spray every day to fight stuffy sinuses. I have not used that even one time since I started W30. 

Hubby is down 15 libs., (men!), his skin looks great, he isn't snoring, and he hasn't had an allergy attack in two weeks. He looks good. His energy levels are up, too. 

I took part in a big Tampa-area parade yesterday so I drank tequila all day but ate complaint. Today and tomorrow we will be totally complaint and then plan to reintroduce beans/ soy on Tuesday. Then wait two days and reintroduce dairy on Friday , then wait two days and reintroduce non-gluten grains next Monday, then two more days, and then gluten grains next Thursday.  We love eating this way and intend to stay as close to this way of eating as possible. The reintroductions may change how we eat a tiny bit, but I love how I feel and I do not want that to change. I think my hormones are still trying to balance themselves since I have been very emotional for most of the W30, and I lost such little weight. Thus, it is important to try to keep eating as healthy as possible all the time.  It's important to me to find a WholeJenn and for hubby to find a WholeHubby that works for us. I also would like to lose more weight. Hence the Finding and Losing title. 

Today, we went to the gym and then straight to the grocery store. Now we are preparing for our week. We already hard boiled a dozen and a half eggs. Steamed enough Yukon gold potatoes for the week. Beets and sweet potatoes are roasting in the oven, and hubby is chopping up butternut squash for me to make curried butternut and pear soup for this week's breakfast. For dinner we have salmon planned. Not sure what veggies, yet. 

We were planning on reintroducing legumes tomorrow but we fixed our breakfast and lunch and forgot all about it. So, it looks like we will be reintroducing legumes on Wed. It's so weird. I thought about it all day today and then when we were getting ready for tomorrow it didn't even occur to me. Oh well, it's all good. 

Reintroduction of legumes today. This morning we had black-eyes peas with breakfast and then refrained beans with lunch. With dinner we plan to eat some hummus. I haven't talked to my hubby yet so no idea how he's feeling. I have had tummy rumblings and have been gassy all day. We will see what happens after dinner and/ or tomorrow. I will come back and log it. 

The legume reintro did not go so well. At dinner I ate some hummus and immediately my sinuses clogged up. I work up this morning with a bad headache and remained stuffy for most of the day today. Hubby spent a lot of time in the bathroom last night. We didn't have soy, either, just beans. In my opinion, there would have to be very special beans for me to bother with them again. I am not a big enough fan for it to be worth. I can't speak for hubby. I think his threshold for what he's willing to endure for beans is deeper than mine :P Hopefully tomorrow I will be back to feeling like I did before the legume reintro. Saturday is dairy time. I am looking forward to eating some cheese and maybe a latte. 

Good morning! So I have lost a bit more weight. My total down since I started W30 is now 8 lbs. I am still in the same size clothing but I was pushing maximum fit ability in all of my clothes in December. Now there are still areas that are tight in some of my pants, they are not skin tight, which means: yay! I have a long way to go still. The NSV are still amazing. 

Today we are reintroducing dairy. We had whole fat greek yogurt with our breakfast. Then we will have cheese for lunch. I am so excited to try the cheese. So excited! I have no idea what we are having with dinner yet, but I love dairy so I can be happy with anything. 

After breakfast yesterday, I headed out to my Krewe's float work day. On my way I stopped and got a Cafe Latte at Starbucks. OMG! It was sooooo gooooood! It was like heaven in a cup. A couple of hours later, as I was driving home, my knee started to hurt me. My knee has not bothered me since week 1 of W30. But yesterday, I mean it really started to ache. I am surprised because I just knew my knee pain was related to gluten not dairy. Guess I was wrong. I went ahead with the reintroduction for the rest of the day anyway. At lunch I had some gouda and aged provolone cheese. For dinner we included sour cream. My knee ached all day long. So far today it isn't bothering me, but it's still early, and we are headed to the gym here in a few minutes. I am so sad that dairy is a problem for me. It looks like no legumes and no dairy for me. My husband seems to be ok with dairy, which is not fair because he doesn't even like a lot of dairy products, at leasts much as I do. Life isn't fair sometimes...

Well non-gluten grain reintro was the first reintro that I did not have a problem with, so far. The quinoa was so bland and boring I had to make myself eat it. But the corn chips at lunch were really yummy. I noticed right away that they could easily be FWOB for me. So I probably need to keep them at arms length as much as possible. The rice with dinner was also good, but not like the chips good.

I feel fine. I am a little more tired than normal but not sure if that is related or not. Hubby did well until about 15 minutes ago when he started sneezing. Of course his favorite thing in the world is rice. When he was a kid he told his mother that he wished he was born in China so he could have rice everyday. He loves it. I think he might be in denial about the sneezing being connected to the rice. Poor guy, but I don't feel too bad for him since he hasn't had any other bad reactions. As I was typing this he went by me sayings, "If I am allergic to rice, I am going to be pissed!" and then left the room.  Shoot, my knee still hurts from the dairy reintro. 

It's going to be a few more days until we retire gluten grains. I have another parade this Sat. and will be consuming alcohol. Like last time, I will stay compliant except for the tequila. Then we will wait until Tuesday to reintro the gluten grains. 

So it's been a week and my knee is still bothering me. I am starting to wonder if it isn't because of the riding the stationary bike at the gym? I have not had anymore dairy since last week. I am going to stay off the bike and cut out the leg machines this week and see if it goes away. It could be a combination of both dairy and the exercise. If it goes away after I cut out leg stuff then I will try consuming dairy again to see what happens. 

Today is another parade day, yay! It's the Knight parade, which I love. It's way more chill and fun than the Gasarilla parade. Like that parade, I will bring compliant food with me. All my Krewe sisters think I am weird and many of them commented on how they do not think they could go 30 days without drinking. It really wasn't that hard. It's only 30 days not the rest of your life for goodness sake. I think it was totally worth it. Anyway, I have my Patron chilling in the fridge, I will eat lunch at home and pack my dinner. I am looking forward to socializing with my sisters and people from the other Krewes. It is going to be fun :D

Both my daughter and my husband are sick with a bad cold. I hope I don't get it. Now, we are going wait until hubby is better to reintroduce gluten grains. So it will be at least the middle of the week before we try. I don't really miss them. I miss dairy. And chips. But, not that much anymore. We will see. 

Today was gluten day. We had a bagel with breakfast (actually we split one), a muffin with lunch, and a hot dog buns with dinner. I feel like crap, but I think I am getting the crude my hubby and daughter had :( I have a bad headache and body aches, and I'm sooooo tired. But I cannot tell for sure until I actually get full on sick, or I don't get sick. The more  we reintroduce the more I think that I need to reintro everything one more time, just to be sure.  

I have not lost any more weight. I actually crept back up 2 lbs. which leaves me down a total of 6.5 lbs. It's not much. I really need to lose about 30 more lbs. I have no idea what to do. How can I be eating so healthy and still not lose weight? I cut out sugar, dairy, grains, and have only had alcohol 2 times since I finished my W30. Maybe I need to cut out white potatoes? Maybe I am eating too much fat? Maybe my hormones are still trying to figure out how to behave after all the bad eating and dieting? Maybe I need to do another W30 and try reintroductions again? IDK. Maybe I need to post my meals somewhere that the mods will read them and get some feedback about how I can tweak my diet to lose weight? 

I cannot decide if I'd rather be sick or feel like crap from the gluten. That is sad. 

20 minutes ago, perceivingperdita said:

Today was gluten day. We had a bagel with breakfast (actually we split one), a muffin with lunch, and a hot dog buns with dinner. I feel like crap, but I think I am getting the crude my hubby and daughter had :( I have a bad headache and body aches, and I'm sooooo tired. But I cannot tell for sure until I actually get full on sick, or I don't get sick. The more  we reintroduce the more I think that I need to reintro everything one more time, just to be sure.  

I have not lost any more weight. I actually crept back up 2 lbs. which leaves me down a total of 6.5 lbs. It's not much. I really need to lose about 30 more lbs. I have no idea what to do. How can I be eating so healthy and still not lose weight? I cut out sugar, dairy, grains, and have only had alcohol 2 times since I finished my W30. Maybe I need to cut out white potatoes? Maybe I am eating too much fat? Maybe my hormones are still trying to figure out how to behave after all the bad eating and dieting? Maybe I need to do another W30 and try reintroductions again? IDK. Maybe I need to post my meals somewhere that the mods will read them and get some feedback about how I can tweak my diet to lose weight? 

I cannot decide if I'd rather be sick or feel like crap from the gluten. That is sad. 

You've accomplished so much with your Whole30, perceivingperdita! Just go back and read your NSVs! As got weight, your weight can fluctuate several pound from day to day. But, losing 6 pound (or ANY number) is a huge accomplishment. And the only way to sustain weight loss is to do it slowly. No one wants to do that, and so they lose and gain and lose and gain. 

If you read Moderator Tom Denham's threads, you'll find that he lost a TON of weight--at the rate of a pound or so a month!

So, don't let a meaningless number on a scale destroy your hard-earned satisfaction. 

On 2/15/2017 at 8:26 PM, ArtFossil said:

You've accomplished so much with your Whole30, perceivingperdita! Just go back and read your NSVs! As got weight, your weight can fluctuate several pound from day to day. But, losing 6 pound (or ANY number) is a huge accomplishment. And the only way to sustain weight loss is to do it slowly. No one wants to do that, and so they lose and gain and lose and gain. 

If you read Moderator Tom Denham's threads, you'll find that he lost a TON of weight--at the rate of a pound or so a month!

So, don't let a meaningless number on a scale destroy your hard-earned satisfaction. 

Thank you so much @ArtFossil for these words of encouragement! You are 100% correct. I have a lot of NSV :) and I would rather lose weight slowly and sustain it than to lose it fast and gain it all back. I have not read Tom Denham's threads but I am interested now.  I have had quite a few people tell me that I look like I am losing weight and my clothes are all fitting better. I even got into a pair of pants that I could not get into in December. My husband and I save probably $500 last month not eating out. As expensive as the groceries can be on W30 it's still less than eating out. So, yes, there are so many things to celebrate! 

This morning I was back down to 9 lbs lost. I did get my period WAY early, like 10 days early. My hormones are really still working it all out I think. And, I really think I need to stay W30 as much as possible and only eat non-compliant stuff occasionally. I am not interested in making W30 a W365 because I think that makes it no different then any other restrictive diet. I think it is better to create a Whole-what-works-for-me, which for me means no legumes, no dairy, occasional grains, and occasional alcohol. But I like the idea of doing W7s here and there as well. I have not worked out at all this week. The getting sick and the knee pain made me sit this week out. I am hoping that I will be up to it tomorrow.

We still have not tried soy or peanuts. Maybe this week? I really like soy sauce but I am apprehensive since I had such a severe reaction to hummus. We will see. 

Today we have friends coming over. I did get sick and have a cold but it's not too bad. We are serving W30 steak salads but will be drinking beer for the first time, Yay! I love beer. It's my fav. It really is. Not budweiser or crappy beer but good German beer or craft beer. I can't wait. 

Well, our friends's daughter was sick so they didn't end up coming over on Sat. It was fine because I was feeling pretty bad, too. We didn't drink beer. However, yesterday we went off roading for the first time and went out for pizza and beer. It was good! But today we are back to being W30 compliant. I am feeling much better.

I was thinking of a W7, but my Krewe is having its 10th anniversary ball on Sat. so it's a W6 for me :) . I am super excited about the ball. I bought a gown yesterday that I LOVE! And it is s size higher than I would like, it likely a size lower than it would have been in December. It's black tie but my hubby is wearing a suit. And there is no way his suit would have fit in December, either.

I was off today for President's Day. I ran some errands this morning and spent the afternoon doing my weekly food prep. My friend dropped off some trader joe's sugar-free peanut butter to try next week.  Hubby is not feeling well. And my daughter is still coughing. I feel much better but still congested. I hope everyone in my house gets well in the next few days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have not posted in quite a few days. My Krewe's ball was great. The dress fit comfortably. It was the first time I really just ate what was served and did not try to not eat a particular thing. The food was decent. The ranch dressing was good, lol, I forgot how much I liked it. I ate a cake pop, too. That might have been the first dessert I have eaten since 12/26/16. But on Sunday it was back to WholeJenn, which looks a lot like W30 most of the time but not micromanaged as much. Then Sunday night I remembered there were a couple of giant cookies that we took home from the ball. Around 9 pm that night my sweet tooth called me to eat part of a cookie. It wasn't really good but I ate it because it was sweet. I have not really struggled with my sugar dragon much since I began the W30 so that was a wake up call. I didn't realize how easy it would be to awaken the dragon. I have always been more of a salty person, but clearly the sugar dragon lives inside me, too. Thus, I decided that I would not touch sugar again for a little while. 

My poor daughter ended up getting the flu on Sunday, too. This poor kid has been sick for the month of February. It's crazy. She finally seems better today and can return to school tomorrow. My husband is finally well. Neither of us has been to the gym in two weeks. I think we need to go tomorrow or we never will. I need to stay focused on my health and not fall off the workout wagon all the way. 

I am seeing more weight loss. It is slow but it is happening. I am wearing some things I haven't been able to wear in a few months :) I wish it were faster but slow and steady wins the race. Plus, I'd rather lose it slowly and keep it off then to yo-yo like I have in the past.  I love this way of eating so it's not like a diet.  I am not so W30 strict now that I finished most of the reintroduction so I can realistically sustain this lifestyle. Yay! W30 has really changed me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I haven't posted here in 3 weeks! We have been off roading a lot. And last week was crazy with eating and drinking whatever 3 out of 7 days because we are off for spring break and there were three St. Patrick's day events. However, on Monday we cleaned up our acts, and I have been following our my WholeJenn. We are only working out or walking sporadically.  I have lost a total of 12 lbs since 12/26. I have at least 20 more I need to lose and 30 more would be ideal. I just keep reminding myself that slow and steady wins the race. Right?
We are thinking about doing another Whole30 in April. Hubby never really stopped snacking at night. He was just snacking on compliant foods. So now he is back to snacking on crap. I don't think I really need to do another but I will do it with him to be supportive. Our anniversary is next weekend so we will start on Monday 4/3, if we do it. It might be a good weight loss boost.  We will see...

Archived