Round 2, Day 31 -- lost 10 lbs and a few inches.

musclesglasses5

This year I resolved on Jan 1 to do a Whole30 starting Jan 1, and workout at least 20 times in January. 2016 was a sideways year for me fitness-wise after completing my first Whole30 in Jan 2016, so I resolved in 2017, somewhat skeptical to be honest, to make big changes. I figured I'd just start out with a simple Whole30 and honestly just get myself to do something physical 20 days of January, even with lots of modifications due to injuries I'm trying not to exacerbate. So I gave up caffeine, alcohol, grains, dairy, added sugar, legumes, nuts, and processed foods. I even temporarily got rid of potato / sweet potato. And I just got myself to do a workout, day after day, despite how I felt, just to say I did something.

The results at the end of January?
I'm 10 lbs lighter
I lost ~1% body fat
I lost 2 inches off my abdomen any way you measure it
Many (but not all) of my aches and pains disappeared.

Was able to stop taking most of my meds for inflammatory conditions.

What's more -- I've done W30s before but this time around I feel a lot less compelled to return to non-compliant foods and have kept with it this morning. I'm taking a brief break and then starting again tomorrow with my buddy who is looking to reverse high cholesterol and will be starting his first ever W30 on February 1.

The best thing about this is I feel in control again and more optimistic about achieving my goals. There's not much more valuable than that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 9:00 AM, musclesglasses5 said:

So I gave up caffeine, alcohol, grains, dairy, added sugar, legumes, nuts, and processed foods. I even temporarily got rid of potato / sweet potato. 

How long did you give up sweet potato? I'm thinking I may be eating too much sweet potato (serving with 1 or 2 meals/day). Have you given up sweet potato in previous W30s?

Archived