Feb. 6 start date

laurenmichele89

Sarah H,  your chicken skillet meal sounds amazing. I will have to work that into one of my meal plans for sure! I have been doing good as well. Knock on wood lol. I also prepared myself on Sunday and I write down what I will eat the next day so I don't have to guess. I'm a supply teacher so I even plan out what I will eat if j have to work last minute. I work this afternoon so I made up a awesome chicken salad with the whole30 mayo I made and I'm going to put then in some lettuce wraps. I'm so excited for dinner lol. Yesterday though around 230 I always have something sweet and I had to ask myself are you really hungry or just need to eat out of habit? So I waited and the craving went away. I'm feeling full and not hungry all the time. So far so good. I hope I'm following the guidelines like I should be lol. Its always so scary. Am I eating too much fat? Not enough fat? But I think so far so good. We shall see!

My first day went very well thanks in part to lots of prep on Sunday! Followed the first day of the 7-day template. Even my husband loved the frittata and the spaghetti squash with the Whole30 tomato sauce and ground meat (used beef and pork). The hardest parts were right after lunch not being able to have dark chocolate (sugar dragon reared its ugly head), so I had a cinnamon herbal tea, and not having any bread or bready things, but I'm still serving these items to my 5 & 7 year old. 

Also wanted to mention a website for yummy compliant recipes: thewholesmiths.com. Making the chicken tortilla-less soup for dinner tonight. 

Good luck, everyone! It will be the little decisions we make every moment of every day that will get us to each of our long term goals. (Keep telling myself this, too. :))

Same here Sarah. I usually have two coffees a day. Always black. I have been drinking my coffee black for years now. Just like it better that way. But I also have something sweet with my 2 o'clock coffee. Mostly peanut butter lol. So I can either just stick it through and be satisfied with my coffee or only have one a day. Ill see how it goes. I'm excited for what's to come. I find though that I need to stop over thinking things. Does anyone do that? I keep reading success stories and then ill read people who put on weight instead of losing and I'm like oh my god, am i doing it wrong? Will that be me? I know its only day 2 but my anxiety to do it right sometimes haunts me. I have to stop looking up things online unless it's a recipe. 

Day 2 complete! Had a little headache what I believe is due to my lack of sweets the past few days. I had a taco salad tonight with blackened chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and some peppers. It was delicious! I'm trying to figure out what I can have to drink. I've only had water the past two days - I'm not a coffee drinker at all. I usually have a Gatorade on the days where I go run but I am not sure if that complies. What is everyone having to drink throughout the day?

@laurenmichele89 I read in the Whole 30 book (I think - maybe it was a blog) that you can try compliant coconut water with a little salt for a hydrating beverage to replace gatorade. I also love La Croix - try adding some fresh lemon or lime juice with fun flavor like passion fruit for a more bold flavor than plain old water.

I started on February 5th, but not many others seem to have chosen Superbowl Sunday to take the plunge ;-) I'm not a sports fan, so it wasn't much difference to me. The third day I woke up feeling so weak, hungry, and nauseous but it subsided after a big breakfast and some rest on the couch. I hope you all are spared that! 

I started on 2/6 also - good to hear I'm not the only one! I have to say the recipes I've made from the Whole 30 book been delicious so far.  The label reading is tripping me up a bit, natural sugars v. added but think I'm getting the swing of things. Glad I found this forum to connect with other people who are going through the same thing!  

I've been drinking a lot of seltzer and plain old water.  Water saved me during our monthly work birthday celebrations where everyone was eating cake but me! 

If drinking plain old water is boring I definitely recommend trying different water infusions to keep it interesting - my favorites are the ones that incorporate fresh herbs like basil or rosemary. 

2 hours ago, laurenmichele89 said:

How is everyone doing? Today was my hardest day yet - Valentine's Day...as a teacher! Candy & sweets EVERYWHERE!! 

I bet that was really hard. It has been going really good. My hardest thing is when I fix my kids food I usually always pick at what they don't eat. I have caught myself several times picking up something from their plate and having to put it back down.   Also I make iced sugar cookies. It has been very busy the last couple days and it has been hard not to taste the product that I am making. 

Throw all your sweets away if it is too tempting. You can do it. Be strong. We are almost 1/3 of the way through the Whole30 

Day 10 & 1/3 of the way through the Whole30 - How is everyone feeling? The book says that most people start feeling much better around Day 10, and that's how it feels for me. Here are my highlights so far:

- Days 1-3: Decreased bloating and water retention

- Days 4 & 5: Fatigued and increased sugar cravings

- Days 6 & 7:  Increased energy, more even energy levels throughout the day, and improved sleep

- Days 8-10: Continued improvement in energy; clearer thinking

I have passed on foods that would be "food without brakes for me: pancakes that I made for my kids, cheese, bread, roasted plantains, fries. My husband is eating what I'm cooking at home which definitely helps and my kids are eating certain things but not everything that is compliant. I've been doing yoga, strength training, some cardio and cycling classes. 

I've found delicious Whole30 compliant recipes from www.thewholesmiths.com/, www.rubiesandradishes.com/, and another that I'd like to try: http://www.thesophisticatedcaveman.com/

New Spices that I like: https://thespicecave.com/ - Land, Wind and Sea spices are compliant. 

Look forward to hearing how everyone is doing!

So far your whole30 sounds great! Mine has been pretty good too. Except for the past couple days but that is only because I have come down with a cough and cold and just feel blah and nothing is appetizing to me but I have stayed on track and noticed no bloating either. The only thing that is super hard for me is breakfast and only because I am getting so sick of eggs. The 3rd day I actually started gagging. But when I mix it up with sweet potatoes or other veggies I can handle it a bit more. I'm excited for this coming week and the tiger blood! Lol. Excited to finish this and say I accomplished something. And to be honest I'm excited to finish and weigh myself so I can just see if I made any progress. I feel like my stomach is flatter and my face is thinner too. Yay whole30!

It's Day 15, everyone! Half way through the program - woohoo! :D I'm feeling really good and wondering if this is how I should eat forever.

Emw30- Although I really like eggs and could eat them almost everyday, I understand about you tiring of them. I guess you could eat leftovers from the day before if that makes sense for you. Also, I came across this W30 compliant breakfast recipe (made w/ eggs and is something like the frittata but thought I'd pass it along): http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

How is everyone feeling? 

I started February 6th as my doctor recommended this program last November. I'm a cancer survivor and my dietary quirks changed drastically after surgery. I had problems with swelling and bloating and suddenly was lactose intolerant. We decided to try an elimination diet to check for other new food sensitivities. 

After two weeks in and recovering from the shock of my boyfriend deciding to join me, I can definitely say it's working. I feel better, my belly is no longer distended and my ankles are visible again. I also think my skin looks better. 

I work overnight shifts so I've had to give up the idea of breakfast, lunch, dinner style foods and just eat healthy. Two weeks to go and I'm pretty sure we're going to continue eating mostly Whole30.  

I did have a shocking revelation that I can't have cashews although almonds so far seem fine... 

I will add the first week was awful! We both had the "Keto flu" with headaches, muscle soreness, and fatigue but we pushed through it and began feeling better. I felt better before he did, but he was addicted to energy drinks loaded with artificial sweeteners. 

The second week was better, although still having an issue with being overly tired towards the end of my shift. I almost crashed my car by nodding off suddenly... 

@Mcflat - Congratulations on beating cancer and joining us on Whole30!  In my opinion, you have an extra challenge compared to the rest of us because you work nights so your circadian rhythm is "off" which drives other metabolic issues. So extra kudos to you! You survived cancer, so no doubt you can successfully complete the Whole30.

By the way, the pulled pork carnitas recipe from the Whole30 book (30- Day Guide... pg. 254) is AMAZING! Big hit with my husband and the kids.

Natalie

Day 20 and here's a non-scale benefit - my taste buds have changed for the sweet stuff! I ate some grapes yesterday and could only eat 3 because they were too sweet. Earlier this week I had the same experience with a pear. I have always loved eating fruit and while it's still healthy for me to eat fruit in moderation, I can see how the sugar in fruit was driving my sugar cravings. Light bulb moment!

How is everyone feeling?

Archived