IBS

I am on Day 27 and have been feeling pretty yuck the past few days. I think I am clearing lungs (former smoker) but biggest issue is gut. I think I have IBS. I have been going to a functional medicine doctor, but not sure he's really onto the IBS issue. I cut out cruciferous veggies, and am feeling better. I've had problems with constipation since I was in my early 20s -- for 40 years. The only time my gut really did well was when I was pregnant. Hormones, I think. I am wondering if anyone has been able to heal IBS with the Whole30 diet? I am going to continue until I have some really great days, but I feel like I will be on this diet for years given my history. Constipation is such a huge factor for me, but bloating didn't start until I began eating well enough for my gut to heal. Is this maybe a sign that I AM healing and gut is waking up maybe?

Anyway, I continue to research, but looking for some advice/inspiration/motivation. Thanks to Whole30 for finally giving me a program I can follow!

Kathy, I have never been diagnosed with IBS but I have symtoms of it being the oppositeof you-severe gas and diarrea (only if I start eating convenience foods and soda).  I am on my 15th day I think?  It has really really helped my symptoms but I can see how the program could cause constipation.  I would eat only a serving of meat at every meal.  Don't over do on the meat and then maybe eat cooked or canned veggies and fruits.  Have you ever read Eating for IBS?  It talks about foods that make IBS flare up.  I use her ideas and apply some of the ideas it to my diet.  I have to keep my fat really low or I have extremely severe gas that literally makes it so i can't go out in public.  Anyway, the lady who wrote the book has something called Heather's Tummy Fiber which has no sweeteners and is made of acacia fiber.  It works really well for me.  Good luck. :)

Hey @Kathy Jackman

The recommendation for IBS sufferers is actually to follow a low FODMAP diet. Many cruciferous veg are also high FODMAP so it's understandable that you might have seen some improvement from that, but there are likely many other culprits in your current food rotation.

Have a read at >this article< and try eating from the green section of the traffic light food list about half way down. Many so called IBS sufferers are actually thought to be sensitive to FODMAPs, myself included, and they see a hige improvement by excluding certain foods.

Just as with Whole30 it's a bit of a self experiment and once the gut heals you can try reintroducing the foods from the red section, one by one, paying attention to portion size, number of portions per week, food combinations etc.

You may also find the Monash University website helpful. They have carried out extensive research in this area, and have an app for download outlining tolerable portion sizes etc. Very handy.

On 05/02/2017 at 5:03 PM, jmcbn said:

Hey @Kathy Jackman

The recommendation for IBS sufferers is actually to follow a low FODMAP diet. Many cruciferous veg are also high FODMAP so it's understandable that you might have seen some improvement from that, but there are likely many other culprits in your current food rotation.

Have a read at >this article< and try eating from the green section of the traffic light food list about half way down. Many so called IBS sufferers are actually thought to be sensitive to FODMAPs, myself included, and they see a hige improvement by excluding certain foods.

Just as with Whole30 it's a bit of a self experiment and once the gut heals you can try reintroducing the foods from the red section, one by one, paying attention to portion size, number of portions per week, food combinations etc.

You may also find the Monash University website helpful. They have carried out extensive research in this area, and have an app for download outlining tolerable portion sizes etc. Very handy.

This. Also, there is a monash app that you can get for your phone which is invaluable. :)

Looking at FODMAP diet, and I don't see any consistencies in the foods I am having trouble with. Since I already did food allergy testing, and almost no foods even showed up as a problem, I guess I just need to go by what I've eaten when I get a bloat attack. I have trouble with lettuce, kale, chard, broccoli, brussel sprouts and tomato sauces so far. Apples, which are in the Avoid category, along with sunflower seed butter I have no problem with that I can tell. If anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Just thinking ... I didn't have bloating until I started really watching my diet. I was eating relatively well, but just had chronic constipation, i.e., need enemas to go and using magnesium and herbs too. After commiting to no sugar, grains, legumes, dairy, my gut started to wake up in the sense of stools more normal, still constipation, but lots of bloating. Could this be that I am healing gut, and that's what it looks like now? Definitely staying on W30 diet for now.

Archived