Reintroduction Failure :( HELP

transformation

I did great on my first Whole30. Lost 11.5 pounds :) I was SO Excited... I started my reintroduction phase & with white rice only on the first day.  Had a headache the next day.  The next day ate dairy with no problems and the next 2 days I have been out of control... eating pizza, chocolate, cookies, now fried things - back to sneaking foods because i am ashamed... and i was just doing SO GOOD... WHY.... any advise??? should i do another 30 days?  what is my problem????   Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.... 

2 hours ago, transformation said:

I did great on my first Whole30. Lost 11.5 pounds :) I was SO Excited... I started my reintroduction phase & with white rice only on the first day.  Had a headache the next day.  The next day ate dairy with no problems and the next 2 days I have been out of control... eating pizza, chocolate, cookies, now fried things - back to sneaking foods because i am ashamed... and i was just doing SO GOOD... WHY.... any advise??? should i do another 30 days?  what is my problem????   Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.... 

Yeah, this reintroduction thing is so much harder than the Whole30 itself! My current strategy is to be completely Whole30 unless it's a celebration (I'm not really reintroducing anything on a regular basis. I'm just trying to figure out how to not go back to my old habits). The cravings this weekend were really bad though. It sounds like maybe you don't so much need to redo the Whole30 but figure out how to bring back non-compliant food into your diet in a reasonable way. Have you read Food Freedom yet? That might help you with strategies. Like no random cookies/ pizza chocolate on a day-to-do basis. Only on celebrations like birthdays, holidays etc? Some persons also recommend doing a Whole7 (just one wek) to reorient yourself and then try again. Just to get your brain back in the groove. We do eventually have to figure out this real life thing though. 

Good luck and stick with it! Remember it's a learning process. Even these past 2 days and teaching you things about yourself and what your triggers are! 

Yes, I did read Food Freedom, I was going to do a whole60 until I read that - because I was really afraid of adding food back in... then I realized that wasn't "food freedom" ... because i was only doing the whole60 out of fear... but you are absolutely right... maybe i will do it again for a week and then do the other treats ONLY on special occasions.  I still have a lot of weight to loose but I have a lot of mental things to work through & 40 years of terrible habits that i need to change & DONT want to teach my kids... just so disappointed that i did this after a month of doing so great... i thought i was doing great with the whole self control thing... it was a birthday party that i went off track  yesterday & but i had success at my own daughters birthday party this past month so i don't know why i gave in yesterday.... & then i think i just convinced myself that since i went off track yesterday i might as well today too, then i really went off and i just had a bowl of ice cream... oh my goodness.... i need to get back on track before i gain it all back... this is NOT what i want!!!! This is NOT food freedom, this is the trap that i have lived all my life :( 

My husband and I just started reintroduction yesterday (we finished on Saturday) and thought it would be good to see how it's going for others. @transformation I completely understand the fear! I've read It Starts With Food and Food Freedom Forever in the past month, which have both helped a ton. We're doing the 10 day reintroduction as outlined, starting with legumes, then non-gluten grains, dairy, gluten grains... I'm wondering if you didn't give yourself enough time between days? I think there's supposed to be a two day break of eating on plan between item reintro. Also, the dairy would have lactose, which is a kind of sugar, so that might be what triggered you and it may be that you're much more sensitive to sugar than you thought. I've had the shame cycle as a problem for a good part of my life and this is the thing I'm most afraid of with doing reintro. I weighed in and checked measurements yesterday and was disappointed with not losing more, and I had to work really hard at reminding myself of how good I was feeling and all the things I had accomplished this past month - because of the shame cycle. It's SO hard!!! I would love to be able to chat about the reintro and support. 

We did legumes yesterday, and I had some peanut butter in the morning, which typically gives me heartburn, and then we had chili with beans last night. Just felt some bloating afterwards, but not major digestive issues. I'm most afraid of grains and any kind of sugar. My husband and I already decided that we want to move to a clean diet with very limited sugar and gluten, so we'll be heading that way after reintroduction is done and we know what we can incorporate and what we need to leave out. 

Do you have a plan for after reintroduction, or are you playing it by ear?

thank you so much for posting... how wonderful that your husband did it with you - must be great to have that support system... I WAS planning on a 2 day between meal but then i had the pizza and that messed me up & i convinced myself since i messed up on that i might as well have the brownie too & the diet coke too & then yesterday even worse.  this morning i stepped on the scale & had gained back 4.5 pounds.  So, i HAVE to get back on track... thinking maybe i'll do a whole7 to get my mind back into this and start the reintroduction again and be much more mindful of sugar & gluten... and ONLY do those on special occasions. I do NOT want to live like this my whole life.... 

and YES, it isn't about the scale or shame, remember how GREAT you felt & even more important (as im realizing - your self control - that YOU DID IT.... ) Good Luck, God Bless, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! 

The self control - YES!!! Several times I would catch myself after dinner and think "I just ate a delicious meal and ate enough to feel satisfied, but not stuffed and I'm totally happy! I didn't keep eating just because it tasted good!!!" I feel like that's one of the biggest things gained. 

I love the idea and freedom of doing a small reset when needed and love how that's addressed in FFF because I know that's what I'll need from time to time, rather than thinking that I've done X so I might as well keep spiraling, or that I can't possible get back on track. We CAN get back on track very easily! And that's where the freedom comes in. The W30 Facebook page posted a video that Melissa Hartwig did about reintro a few days back that I watched and I loved hearing her perspective on things and how she addressed the fear, small resets, learning etc. It's about 30 minutes long, but if you have time, it might be worth watching just for the encouragement and cheerleading. I know it took some of the fear out of things for me.

I agree with @ldrolling about needing more space between your reintroductions. That would help.

I like the way that Melissa frames the shame issue: it's not about foods being good or bad. Rather, some are more healthy for you than others. Try to remember that.

To encourage you: I just finished my second Whole30. After the first one, I literally went right back to eating (and drinking) the way I did before. Certainly not recommended, and I suffered some side effects obviously.

During the second round, something clicked that hadn't before. I bought in to the change. I accepted a new way of life. I loved how I felt more than I loved the foods that I previously thought I'd just die without.

I say this to remind you that it's a process. For some, they do a Whole30 and never look back. My guess is that there are MANY others that struggle and fight their way to food freedom with some lapses (and recoveries) along the way. 

Give yourself some grace. Maybe a reboot for a couple of days or week, and then re-evaluate. But don't lose heart. :)

I'm so glad I came on and read this this morning. I had a similar reintroduction experience yesterday. It was terrible. I was saving dairy  and wine for last night when a friend returned from Europe with cheese and wine. At the party, I had wine and cheese, and then more of each, and then started eating potato chips (I didn't even want them!) and just got out of control. Then I had two servings of ice cream. Then I just felt awful and ashamed, woke up bloated and disappointed in myself, I have a headache and sore throat, and I want to cry. I did a strict Whole 30 and was feeling good. Now I'm starving, even after eating a typical Whole 30 pre/post workout and breakfast. My hunger now is more ravenous, like when I was eating gluten all the time. 

Instead of doing the fast-track reintroduction where I feel like I *have* to try *all the things* on a particular day, I'm transferring to the slow roll. I'll try something when it comes up and if it seems worth it to me. My partner has been wanting to do sushi, so I'll go with him and do rice and soy because that's something we like to do. But I don't want to feel this way again. 

I think the alcohol really hurts my ability to control myself. After a month of what part of me might perceive as deprivation, I had a glass of wine and all bets were off. 

I think it's good to keep in mind that there is always another day, another meal. Even if you started today eating terribly, that's no reason to not turn it around at lunchtime. I'm craving pizza after last night's disaster, but I'm going to cook some chicken and buck up. This is worth it. 

Love and strength to you all. 

Yes to all of this! 

One thing that is really interesting to me about the way Whole 30 is set up and then reading It Starts With Food and Food Freedom Forever, and knowing that Melissa is a recovering addict and having friends that have/are going through the same, is that I see so many principles about recovery through the whole program and it completely makes sense to me knowing what I know from my friends journeys. It's a process. One day at a time. You didn't waste all the work you've done. Today is one day. Learn to be gentle and love yourself. Know that the changes you're making are good and healthy, even when they're hard. SO many things! And really, we're all recovering from a bad relationship with food, whatever that looks like. It will take time. It took time to get here, and it will take time to move through this and gain tools, resources, understanding, etc. 

If you are having trouble controlling yourself you need a slow reintroduction and make sure everything you try is purposeful and planned.  Remember, you are still eating Whole30 so you should still be planning out your healthy meals, don't think of it as a license to eat whatever you want because you know it doesn't work. I am trying a slow reintroduction myself hoping it will tell me a lot more than the other rounds have. If it were me, I would do a Whole7 to get myself back on track and then start with a new introduction with plenty of days in between for resets. Good luck! :D

Thank YOU all so VERY much!!!! I cant tell you how VERY much I appreciate you!!! This was my first post & wasn't sure what to expect... but I needed this encouragement & support. I went back & reread the Food Freedom Forever book.  (I had read it the first time while I was still on the Whole30 & feeling strong & confident in my food choices) but now that I reread it - it made a lot more sense to me - I see im not alone :) YAY!!! I see that I just need a reboot... I will redo the Whole30 for atleast 7 days and go from there.  I also bought a couple Paleo cookbooks. I see that a lot of people use Lara bars.  I didn't have any of those.  maybe i won't be so strict on my self and allow myself some of those.  I am just afraid of overdoing it... (that is my personality and behavior that i need to work on changing) - i also see that people do a LOT of prep for the whole30 and i don't cook so i was skimming by with as little as possible in the prep area... maybe i wasn't eating enough - (but i didn't feel deprived) and then when i went off of it  i just went crazy for all the carbs that i'd been missing. OK - Reset... I can & WILL do this!!! I need to stop going around this same mountain that I have been circling so many times throughout my life!!!!! Thank YOU for your support!!!!

Lara bars although compliant, can be a problem. This was my 3rd whole30, and the first I'd bought any Lara bars on. The grocery I shop at had a sale going on buy 8 @ 88¢ a piece. I got 8 different compliant ones. I'd never really had them before, but thought I'd get some. Honestly, they were ok, except for the pecan pie one. It triggered my no brakes and it was a fight not to eat all the others. My sister used Lara bars her first Whole30. Didn't the next and said she felt they hindered her progress. She liked the results of her whole30's without Lara bars. So, be careful of Lara' s.

Thank you!!! I can see me totally overdoing it with them... I am really having trouble getting back on track. I keep starting the day compliant then seeing pasta or chocolate & giving in & saying I guess I'll do it tomorrow because I'm afraid of having to give it up... I love it so much.... but I really hate looking & feeling like this. I don't want food to have such a hold on me...

I have done a Whole30 before but didn't do a proper reintroduction so I was really excited to reintroduce this time. (Last time I just assumed that I would stay W30ish but that all the food groups would be fine in moderation, and my face broke out terribly and I never figured out what caused it, and soon I was back to regular eating.)

This time I waited until Day 32 to reintroduce legumes -- they didn't taste good to me and I felt very bloated afterwards. Bye, legumes! I waited three days, happy to take my time before reintroducing non-gluten grains, but some family visited from out of town so I decided to make that the day. I had some gluten-free oatmeal for breakfast and then we spent the day together. I did my best to avoid everything but non-gluten grains, but I think I failed. I had a salad with chicken and no dressing for lunch. The dressing packet said it had soybean oil, and I really have no idea whether there was any secret dairy etc. in that salad, though it seemed okay. Then for dinner, I got a chicken dish and subbed some veggies for an Orzo salad, but when it came out, I was pretty sure it had dairy in it. So... I messed up my methodical reintro. I'm back to W30 eating now and may wait a few more days before trying to reintroduce non-gluten grains and continue on with the process, but I'm worried that I messed it up too since I don't know exactly what I ate. I'm sad that I didn't do the reintro "by the book." But I think that for me, like for you, learning, not perfection, is the goal.

I think that just going back to W30 eating until you feel back to the way you felt at the end of the W30 is a good idea, then try again. Isolate food types to test, and leave W30 spaces between those days. I also think it's helpful information to learn that dairy may trigger cravings for you. You said you had no problems with dairy (I assume you mean gastrointestinal or skin issues) but the psychological effects are just as important. Maybe that's what you've learned about dairy? That's useful information to have.

• 1 month later...

During my Whole30, I found that I had a serious sugar addiction- extreme loss of energy on Day 6, which felt like it lasted forever but was probably not over a week or ten days.  Odd, though, because desserts were not my thing,  I did  have an evening cocktail most nights though, and wine with dinner often.  And chocolate sometimes, mints, gum, fruit, I guess it added up.  Once I understood about the addiction, I kept fruit to 2 a day, and only the very occasional Lara Bar if I got stuck somewhere without the right food.  Soon no more cravings, no evening snacks needed.

Last night, Day 3 of reintro, at an early dinner out with a friend  I had my first sugar in the form of a dollop of ketchup on a bare burger and a glass of wine. No big problem, but when I went home I had cravings for sweets that had been gone for weeks.  Even this morning there's just a little itch in that direction even though otherwise I feel fine. 

Maybe that's what happened to you?  For an addict, a small amount can be a huge trigger, right?  And then it's a slippery slope.    I've decided to keep sweets as far away as possible - W30 ketchup and mustard at home, for instance, forget the cocktails, I don't need or miss them, and wine only for special occasions.  And I really don't trust Lara Bars, they seem waaaaay to sweet for me.

@transformation, Don't forget how much good work you've put into this.  You'll figure out how to keep it working, just give yourself a chance.  It's still trial and error for all of, I think, until we find our own magic formula.  Forgive yourself for the errors,  keep on trying, and step by step you'll get there.  Good luck to you!

This post was so helpful to me today! EXACTLY what I needed to read.  :wub:

I just finished my THIRD Whole30 and was feeling so good - better than I have ever felt in my life - so I decided to do a Slow Roll Introduction, thinking I didn't want to eat anything off-plan anyway. This plan also seemed good because my mother-in-law's birthday is coming up and I wanted to be able to enjoy everything even though that might mean I wasn't clear on what caused symptoms. I was confident I would be able to get right back on track because I felt so good and still have compliant meals in the freezer, so wasn't worried about that risk. But here I am, 1 week post-Whole30 (and PRE Mom's birthday) craving chocolate by the bag and feeling thick (which is a weird way to describe it, but it's the only descriptor I can come up with). 

The first food I re-introduced was dairy, which immediately prompted cravings for sweets, pasta, and bread, much like what @transformation described. I had frozen yogurt, some cheese, and some potato soup with milk in it. What's interesting is that the cheese didn't feel like it really added anything to what I was eating (and this is coming from a huge cheesehead) but the cravings for sweets are off the charts. It's also that time of the month (sorry, men), which probably isn't helping but I can't imagine that Food Freedom feels like this, regardless of what week it is. You know? I'm just so disappointed about all of this that I feel like I should either EAT ALL THE THINGS or go back to a strict Whole30. Ach!

Perhaps I will Whole30 until I get back to Tiger Blood and start a traditional re-introduction. Do you think that will work? I just know that if I let up on even one thing (no added sugar, for example) I go totally off the rails. Oy!

Archived