Start February 13th

Kelsie Ashley

I'm concerned with not being able to know how many calories I'm eating in a day. I have a very rocky relationship with food, always trying to get rid of those 10 stubborn pounds...I'm not doing the w30 just to loose weight but I definitely don't want to be eating too much and gaining weight. I guess though if you're eating a lot of healthy foods without all the crap...maybe that's what will keep you below maintenance...anybody have any advice? Thx guys! :wub:

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Kilo2085 said:

I'm concerned with not being able to know how many calories I'm eating in a day. I have a very rocky relationship with food, always trying to get rid of those 10 stubborn pounds...I'm not doing the w30 just to loose weight but I definitely don't want to be eating too much and gaining weight. I guess though if you're eating a lot of healthy foods without all the crap...maybe that's what will keep you below maintenance...anybody have any advice? Thx guys! :wub:

Hi! This is what Melissa says about calorie counting:

http://whole30.com/2016/01/tracking/

I know it will be difficult for you to break the habit at first but trust the process. Take it day by day. You can do it!!

Have you checked out the forums for any concerns? They have so many good answers!!

I know you'll do great and complete all 30 days!

13 minutes ago, Ejanecek83 said:

Hi! This is what Melissa says about calorie counting:

http://whole30.com/2016/01/tracking/

I know it will be difficult for you to break the habit at first but trust the process. Take it day by day. You can do it!!

Have you checked out the forums for any concerns? They have so many good answers!!

I know you'll do great and complete all 30 days!

Thank you for your prompt reply! Thx, I sure hope so...I'm still reading ISWF and there's a chapter in there that describes a typical day for a healthy person and then a typical day for a not so healthy person...it really spoke to me when I read the unhealthy person's day, pretty much everything that was described is me! I'm hoping I can just get over the initial sugar cravings, that's my weakness lol good luck to you! :)

17 minutes ago, Kilo2085 said:

Thank you for your prompt reply! Thx, I sure hope so...I'm still reading ISWF and there's a chapter in there that describes a typical day for a healthy person and then a typical day for a not so healthy person...it really spoke to me when I read the unhealthy person's day, pretty much everything that was described is me! I'm hoping I can just get over the initial sugar cravings, that's my weakness lol good luck to you! :)

I read that book two years ago and going to re-read it starting tomorrow. It's such a great book! Currently skimming over the Whole30 book to refresh my brain.

That unhealthy person's day is just like me, too:( I always thought I wasn't a sweets person but today I realized that if I ever feel like a "sweet" at night then I drink wine. I thought I just liked wine nights with my friends! I took a deeper look into the reasons I want to drink and it's really because I want something sweet like a Summer Shandy. After I drink, it's difficult for me to stay on track.  I need to correct this! My other biggest problem is pizza...

1 minute ago, Ejanecek83 said:

I read that book two years ago and going to re-read it starting tomorrow. It's such a great book! Currently skimming over the Whole30 book to refresh my brain.

That unhealthy person's day is just like me, too:( I always thought I wasn't a sweets person but today I realized that if I ever feel like a "sweet" at night then I drink wine. I thought I just liked wine nights with my friends! I took a deeper look into the reasons I want to drink and it's really because I want something sweet like a Summer Shandy. After I drink, it's difficult for me to stay on track.  I need to correct this! My other biggest problem is pizza...

I think you and I must be living the same food/drink lives...those are my 2 biggest weaknesses, too!  I realized I really don't crave sugar much (in fact I've subconsciously been a little proud about this) but if I quit drinking, suddenly I DO want sweets...lots of them!  It's all about the sugar in the alcohol.  And boy, and I gonna miss cheese (especially on pizza) for the next 30 days. 

I'd be happy to start a facebook group for anyone starting on the 13th who'd like to be part of it.  I guess the easiest way would be for me to create the group and then tell you the name to search for it and request to be added.  Do you agree?  Not sure I've ever been the one to start a FB group before, so I'm not totally sure.

ok so I think I'll need your email addresses to send you the invite to the group.  I'm making it a secret group, which means only members can search and find the group, and nobody else can see who's in the group.  If you want to private message me your email address please do. 

9 hours ago, KelliKB said:

ok so I think I'll need your email addresses to send you the invite to the group.  I'm making it a secret group, which means only members can search and find the group, and nobody else can see who's in the group.  If you want to private message me your email address please do. 

Unfortunately I don't have a FB....:(

Hi all! 

Leah here! This is my first time doing the Whole30. 

I've committed to starting on the 13th but will plan my meals using the groceries that I have and use the 1st week meal plan in the 2nd week.

I'm btwn pay checks right now and on a tight budget so I'm wondering about the Daily newsletter...have you signed up for it or are nah? I'm willing to sign up for it on Friday but does anyone know if I can retroactively set my start date?

This is totally doable and I'm looking forward to it!

11 hours ago, jordanvia89 said:

...except I am struggling with cravings- aka half n half and sugar in my coffee and candy.  I am hoping that by doing the Whole30 it will help me kick my cravings for sugar, dairy and gluten items that I am no longer supposed to be eating. 

Re: cravings, look up The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. There are many online summaries that would give you the basics.  She recommends several supplements like Phenylalanine and Glutamine for cravings  - those have been very helpful for me. Talk with your doctor about using those for the first month until you get rid of cravings.  

Michelle 

5 minutes ago, Mhh123 said:

Re: cravings, look up The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. There are many online summaries that would give you the basics.  She recommends several supplements like Phenylalanine and Glutamine for cravings  - those have been very helpful for me. Talk with your doctor about using those for the first month until you get rid of cravings.  

Michelle 

If your meals are well composed as per the template with adequate protein, and especially adequate fat, you really shouldn't suffer from cravings - if you do it's generally a sign that the composition of your meals need some tweaking.

9 hours ago, KelliKB said:

Hi @KelliKB - I've edited your message to remove your email address, otherwise you might be bombarded with spam/unsolicited emails etc - any requests like this can be done via the private messaging system on the forum :)

I had only minor cravings on my first Whole30 and they resolved with dietary tweaks, but due to accumulated stress and hormone changes the cravings in the past few months have not been manageable for me without supplements. 

If you have super intense cravings even after increasing protein and/or fat or carbohydrates, you might benefit from supplementation. It doesn't need to be so difficult or discouraging to fight cravings, and sometimes dietary tweaks or "willpower" just won't be enough for you.

Michelle 

7 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Hi @KelliKB - I've edited your message to remove your email address, otherwise you might be bombarded with spam/unsolicited emails etc - any requests like this can be done via the private messaging system on the forum :)

Thank you - didn't realize it was such a big deal but I appreciate you looking out for me!  

Also since there are a few people here without Facebook, I didn't create the group, anyway - if someone else wants to, please go ahead, but I didn't want to exclude those who can't connect that way (and honestly one location is probably enough for me anyway)!

22 minutes ago, Ejanecek83 said:

I finished making Whole30 condiments today: ghee, ketchup and BBQ.  I will have to remake the mayo. I didn't read the directions fully. Oops! 

What has everyone else been prepping?

I made the Mayo (two batches) and the first time didn't use "light" olive oil - eek! It's edible but I decided to use it for my ranch dressing and to mix with my protein salad. It just had a stronger flavor. For the next batch I used light olive oil and it came out beautifully. Made the roasted red pepper sauce and some roasted red pepper Mayo. I haven't made any other condiments yet. I feel like I was in the kitchen an awful lot but it will be worth it!

Here in Malaysia it's already the 13th (6am) so it's officially my first day now. I'm ready to tackle it!

Whew! What a day! I prepped no egg mayo (with light olive oil, thank goodness!), 3 salad dressings, made coconut butter for the first time, have chicken stock simmering, made a protein salad for tomorrow's lunch and need to start some soup to throw in the freezer. I cleaned out a bunch of non compliant salad dressings along the way.

Looks like I'll be doing a Whole37 to make sure I do it right. 

Today I made a batch of broccoli soup using the veggie broth that I bought yesterday (4 containers on sale!), and in attempt to get used to reading labels read the broth box before discarding it and realized that it has brown sugar in it. But I'm not going to throw out the soup, so I'll just extend my days by a week and "start over" once I grocery shop next week. 

On the plus side, I meet with a trainer twice a week and he weighs/measures me every week. He's agreed to not let me see the numbers while I'm doing the Whole30/37 and is supportive of my effort.

Curious - Is anybody else in this group in Canada? 

Anybody having a "last non compliant meal" before tomorrow?

37 minutes ago, LBstrong said:

Anybody having a "last non compliant meal" before tomorrow?

I couldn't believe I didn't have pizza or something else totally laden with cheese!  I made Pork schnitzel and it was great but hardly worthy of a "last meal" for 30 days!   I also had 2 beers just because I could!

Major bummer about the brown sugar in the broth!  Who would have thought?!

Hey look at my beautiful tomato spinach frittata!  It's super yum!

IMG_7676.JPG

Archived