Start February 13th

Kelsie Ashley

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting my second round of Whole 30 today as well. I did it last October before vacation and the holidays. I am doing it in conjunction with a 60 day transformation at my local gym. My biggest downfall is stress eating and boredom eating at work. Sitting in front of a computer all day just gets boring! I need to retrain my brain.

54 minutes ago, sherryg826 said:

I am starting my second round of Whole 30 today as well. I did it last October before vacation and the holidays. I am doing it in conjunction with a 60 day transformation at my local gym. My biggest downfall is stress eating and boredom eating at work. Sitting in front of a computer all day just gets boring! I need to retrain my brain.

I have this same issue with stress and boredom. I work full-time in a call center as a collector so NOT  stress eating is going to be the biggest challenge for me starting out. I actually really enjoy eating healthy food, I'm just generally bad at making it lol but after going through the last 3 months and gaining 7 pounds (which is A LOL for my build) I'm going to try my hardest to ditch my excuses and start incorporating cooking and prepping to be part of my daily routine! I think we'll do great yall! Already found a lot of people I can identify with :)

Welcome to the newcomers!  This is going to be a great group!

@Ejanecek83 I just discovered the tag feature by accident. Ha!  Very handy though. I just ordered the meat grinder attachment and haven't used it yet. I'm excited to try making sausage & other things!  I bought mine because I don't care for the ground beef they sell here in Malaysia and I'd like to grind my own from a whole cut of beef. But now it will also be handy for Whole30 purposes!

@Salmon Ella your name cracks me up!!

7 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

I understand about eating out especially within the first week. I have a client that we eat out for lunch 2 times per week. Just let your friend  know. My friend was very supportive and even helped finding the best place for us to eat so I could stay compliant. Here is also a link that will help as well. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-dining.pdf

Thanks for this, @EJSmadhatter!  I do think I'll just explain what's going on. Funny enough it's my closest group of friends that I dread telling the most, because they are all very anti-eating plan/diet (all normal weight and very fit) so I'm sure they will roll their eyes at this. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't care if they do. :)

Starting today, my hubby and I are doing our first Whole30. We both know people who have done it and loved it. Cleaned out and restocked our fridge yesterday and got our meal plan done for the week! Now just have to be sure to use that variety to keep me in it! I'm not the type of person who can eat the same thing everyday so I'm glad there's so much variety. Finding I do need to get "simpler" with it because I could literally spend all my time planning meals and prepping! But that wouldn't be healthy either!

One other thing, I've definitely felt like I needed a snack this morning and afternoon--right about 10:30 and 2:30--and have had something compliant but feel like man, what am I doing wrong? Trying to make meals large enough to have leftovers and have enough at each meal is hard when you're doing something new! Have a great month everyone! :)

menu.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Holly T said:

I've been trying to upload a pic of the recipe, but the file size is too large. It's from the Whole30 book. I'll try to send it later....running way behind today! 

Don't do this, please. Copyright issues -- check out the forum rules. If you can find the recipe online, you can link to it, that's fine. If you pm it to someone, we won't know. But if you just take a pic of the page in the book and post it here for everyone to see, that's definitely a copyright violation.

I'm not sure if the egg-less mayo recipe from the book is online, but I know Mel Joulwan has one here.

29 minutes ago, GiselleC said:

I'm having trouble witb breakfast ideas that are  not eggs. What did everyone eat for  breakfast today?

Some people choose to think of breakfast the same as any other meal, as far as potential components. That's basically what I did today.

I had a leftover boneless chicken thigh, sandwich-style on a lettuce wrap with a big glob of mayo and some black pepper. I also had a some cucumber-tomato salad, celery with tahini sauce and a few slices of orange and grapefruit. All stuff that I keep prepped in the fridge for quick meals. It was more like a picnic lunch meal than a traditional breakfast, but it really hit the spot for me.

EDITED TO ADD: Oops! I noticed your question pop up in my active threads list, but didn't pay attention to the thread title before I responded this time. I'm not a 13th-er! What am I doing over here again? Didn't mean to crash the group. Just ignore me and enjoy your breakfasts ;)

B: veggie frittata-eggs, red, yellow, orange peppers, spinach and tomatoes. A cutie mini orange. Just drew a blank on the name lol

L: grilled chicken on romaine, multi peppers, avocado and salsa

D: grilled salmon, potatoes with ghee and steamed broccoli with garlic, la Croix lime.

i was just not feeling the salad today. I was also a little tired but took a 20 min nap. Hoping I start sleeping better at night. First time trying La Croix and I loved it! I'll drink that at my girls wine nights.

Made it through day 1!  I made a buffalo chicken breakfast casserole which was delicious and that will be my breakfast for the week.  I made a big pot of chili yesterday and that was lunch and dinner today.  Tomorrow I'm making the protein salad for lunch and some sort of fish for dinner.  I had a huge challenge today.  I opened one of my cabinets at work and staring back at me was a bag of peanut M&M's!!  After about 45 minutes of internal debate, I threw them away :D

I started today as well.  Was sluggish this morning without my honey sweetened coffee, but by afternoon I was chugging along. 

B: veggie and compliant sausage frittata, cold press coffee

L: egg salad on romaine, banana, kombucha

D: shrimp and zoodles with romesco sauce from whole 30, sparkling water with lemon and ginger

Spent a good portion of my weekend meal planning and prepping. Yikes!

I see I'm not the only one making mayo. I wanted to say I used avocado oil. Turned out great. I accidentally used the whole egg, but it was still fine. 

OMG, my hubby and I made the Strip Steak with Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes from the W30 Cookbook--AHHHMAZING!!!! What a way to start off. It was probably one of the more time consuming meals but so delicious. We're going with easy Monkey Salad in the morning--Jar of sliced Banana, berries, almond butter, coconut, cinnamon, cashews...and a couple hard boiled eggs on the side to be sure we have enough protein. http://seevanessacraft.com/2015/07/recipe-monkey-salad/

1 hour ago, KarenR1Feb13 said:

I started today as well.  Was sluggish this morning without my honey sweetened coffee, but by afternoon I was chugging along. 

B: veggie and compliant sausage frittata, cold press coffee

L: egg salad on romaine, banana, kombucha

D: shrimp and zoodles with romesco sauce from whole 30, sparkling water with lemon and ginger

Spent a good portion of my weekend meal planning and prepping. Yikes!

I see I'm not the only one making mayo. I wanted to say I used avocado oil. Turned out great. I accidentally used the whole egg, but it was still fine. 

I'm going to try doing the mayo again, the first time it did not turn out! That sounds like a delish dinner, did you like the flavors?

17 minutes ago, MelP said:

OMG, my hubby and I made the Strip Steak with Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes from the W30 Cookbook--AHHHMAZING!!!! What a way to start off. It was probably one of the more time consuming meals but so delicious. We're going with easy Monkey Salad in the morning--Jar of sliced Banana, berries, almond butter, coconut, cinnamon, cashews...and a couple hard boiled eggs on the side to be sure we have enough protein. http://seevanessacraft.com/2015/07/recipe-monkey-salad/

Oh wow! Thanks for the link..it looks delicious on the website 

4 hours ago, Ejanecek83 said:

B: veggie frittata-eggs, red, yellow, orange peppers, spinach and tomatoes. A cutie mini orange. Just drew a blank on the name lol

L: grilled chicken on romaine, multi peppers, avocado and salsa

D: grilled salmon, potatoes with ghee and steamed broccoli with garlic, la Croix lime.

i was just not feeling the salad today. I was also a little tired but took a 20 min nap. Hoping I start sleeping better at night. First time trying La Croix and I loved it! I'll drink that at my girls wine nights.

Sounds great! 

5 hours ago, MelP said:

Sorry, but the Monkey Salad is no bueno. Compliant yes, but fruit & fat heavy, totally pushing the veg off of your plate, and kind of like an effort to create granola. Save it 'til after your Whole30.

Be very wary of recipes out there claiming to be Whole30 compliant - the vast majority are not endorsed by the official Whole30 website.

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Sorry, but the Monkey Salad is no bueno. Compliant yes, but fruit & fat heavy, totally pushing the veg off of your plate, and kind of like an effort to create granola. Save it 'til after your Whole30.

Be very wary of recipes out there claiming to be Whole30 compliant - the vast majority are not endorsed by the official Whole30 website.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, MelP said:

OMG, my hubby and I made the Strip Steak with Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes from the W30 Cookbook--AHHHMAZING!!!! What a way to start off. It was probably one of the more time consuming meals but so delicious.

That steak & smashed potatoes picture in the cookbook looks delicious. Glad you've said that it tastes great - I'll add it to my meals list for later in the week.

I'm about to make the no-fuss salmon cakes from the Whole30 book for dinner, along with a chicken & potato hash ready for lunch tomorrow. 

I'm near the end of day 3 and things are going well. A mild headache from yesterday cleared up around midday today and the day 3 crankiness I expected petered out before really getting started. Yay!

One thing I'm struggling with is the oil I'm adding to meals to fit the template. I'm doing it, but it feels so WRONG after years of trying to eliminate fat. How do others manage the oil/fat component?

16 hours ago, KelliKB said:

Thanks for this, @EJSmadhatter!  I do think I'll just explain what's going on. Funny enough it's my closest group of friends that I dread telling the most, because they are all very anti-eating plan/diet (all normal weight and very fit) so I'm sure they will roll their eyes at this. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't care if they do. :)

That is unfortunate. We have your back so glad we are doing this together

Archived