Start February 13th

Kelsie Ashley

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Busy weekend so I haven't had time to post...but SO proud of myself for staying compliant!  This Whole30 journey really does make you take a look at your eating habits and re-evaluate them and I definitely have learned that mine were not good!  I'm not proud to say, but I think that other than this past week, I probably had added sugar EVERYDAY of my life.  Last week was hard...lots of headaches, crankiness, low energy, not so much with cravings b/c even though I loved the food, I felt nauseous some of the time and the amount of time cutting, chopping, prepping and cooking has been overwhelming.  I thought that I was cooking healthy for my family, but this is just a whole new level. The recipes in the book are so amazing though... I am doubling recipes b/c the whole family is eating most of the dishes with good reviews all around.  I hadn't been recording meals here, but I like reading everyone else's so thought I would do it too.

Friday D- Talapia (followed the recipe in Whole30), Broccoli, Mushroom, Squash side dish (also W30) and leftover Coleslaw (W30)

Saturday B - 2 eggs, 1/2 pork chop, roasted veggies, mixed berries

Sat L - other 1/2 pork chop, small bowl of butternut squash soup

Sat D - Carnitas (this was the MOST amazing dish...so flavorful!  I did add 2 fresh jalapenos), w/lime, avocado & roasted sweet potato

Sun B - 2 eggs, leftover Carnitas, roasted veggies, mixed berries

Sun L - Butternut squash soup & Salmon cakes (W30) w/ tartar sauce, grapes

Sun D - Greek Salad, Seared Chicken breast

Today B - 2 eggs, roasted veggies, Carnitas

Other than sleeping a lot (bed starts calling at 9:30pm compared to I used to be a night owl at 11:30-12:00 usually) and slight headache...Still had a touch of a headache right when I woke up...my energy level is way up compared to the weekend.  My husband is out of town this week, so just me and 2 kiddos.  These are times that I would usually end up going the restaurant/fast food route b/c of evening activities, but this weekend I meal planned and picked easy meals or crock pot meals.  I feel in charge and ready for the week! :)   YAY me!

@Kilo2085 I've been having a difficult time sleeping. I keep waking up between 1-3 and staying away all night. Last night was restless sleep but slept the whole night without staying up for hours. I hope it is turning around. I hope you start to sleep soon! Did you try a magnesium supplement before bed yet?

1 hour ago, Kilo2085 said:

Has anyone else been having a trouble sleeping? I've seen ppl post about getting better sleep..but I'm having real difficulty in staying asleep.

I have! I take a couple supplements to sleep already prescribed by my doctor and those haven't even been helping! Let me know if you figure out anything.  I did meet someone last night who has already done the whole 30 a few years ago and said she didn't start sleeping well until the second week.

29 minutes ago, Ejanecek83 said:

@Kilo2085 I've been having a difficult time sleeping. I keep waking up between 1-3 and staying away all night. Last night was restless sleep but slept the whole night without staying up for hours. I hope it is turning around. I hope you start to sleep soon! Did you try a magnesium supplement before bed yet?

You know I used to take magnesium a long time ago..I may try it again. It's nice to know I'm not the only one though lol  I think I'm just used to going to bed too full maybe. Well see!

1 hour ago, jordanvia89 said:

I have! I take a couple supplements to sleep already prescribed by my doctor and those haven't even been helping! Let me know if you figure out anything.  I did meet someone last night who has already done the whole 30 a few years ago and said she didn't start sleeping well until the second week.

Thanks for replying! I certainly will..I think I'm going to try a magnesium supplement first, as recommended by someone else, then if in a few days if it's still bad I'll figure something out :)

20 hours ago, Kilo2085 said:

Has anyone else been having a trouble sleeping? I've seen ppl post about getting better sleep..but I'm having real difficulty in staying asleep.

@Kilo2085, I feel like I am a bit behind the curve ... my detox/hangover stage lasted longer than usual and then I was crazy exhausted but last night I woke up at 3:00am and was up til 5:30...I was able to fall back to sleep and slept until 6:30 when alarm went off.  Looking forward to see how everyone else fares with the sleep issue.  Maybe I can learn from you all since it seems I am a day or two behind...  Thanks for posting!

Today is my first day waking up without any type of headache... :)  Energy level a bit up even though sleep was interrupted.  Yesterday meals...

L:  Greek salad w/seared chicken, banana.

I did not eat enough at lunch (not enough fat, I think) so around 4:00 I was hungry again.  This is the first day that I snacked between meals.  I snacked on compliant food...handful of almonds, 3 dried apricots, and a handful of grapes.  A bit scary though b/c I don't want to breakdown in a weak moment, but I controlled it and feel good about my choices!  Will make sure to eat a bit more at each meal so I'm not snacking.

D:  1 Talapia filet, leftover Broccoli, Mushrooms, & Yellow Squash, & 1/2 Avocado

Hope everyone else has a great Day 9!

42 minutes ago, Chrissybell said:

@Kilo2085, I feel like I am a bit behind the curve ... my detox/hangover stage lasted longer than usual and then I was crazy exhausted but last night I woke up at 3:00am and was up til 5:30...I was able to fall back to sleep and slept until 6:30 when alarm went off.  Looking forward to see how everyone else fares with the sleep issue.  Maybe I can learn from you all since it seems I am a day or two behind...  Thanks for posting!

Absolutely! I'm going to start taking magnesium tonight and try to get a tad more fat in my last meal to see if that works. I'll definitely keep you guys updated. I'm thinking part of the reason I'm restless at night is due to my brain thinking I'm "missing" something. For years I've always had a little snack before bed like a small bowl of cereal or Greek yogurt..I'm obviously not eating that stuff anymore so I think it's just about retraining the brain maybe lol or I'm over thinking it! Which is probably the case ;)

I've been pretty hungry today and yesterday. Last week I was eating more than I thought I needed to comply with the meal template but I was starting to think I was overdoing it so I cut back to what felt more typical of my usual meal size. Maybe I need to up the amount I'm eating just a little bit...I know that when I feel really hungry I'm more likely to eat something non-compliant. I also had some stomach cramps last night, which is not something I usually experience, but they were short-lived. I did some reading in the forum & suspect it might be about the increase in my raw veggie intake.

Still waiting for that promised energy surge to show up, but I am feeling pretty confident about sticking it out for the full 30 days. (Famous last words, maybe?) The big test will be the birthday cake I'm baking tonight. 

It's really helping to read everyone's daily challenges and reflections. I think most of the people I interact with in person think I'm crazy for attempting this!

Day 10! Look at us go!  

I slept for 8 hours last night!! It was restless as I dreamt a lot but overall much better than all the other nights. I'm slowly getting there. I was really tired yesterday. I have spurts of energy but long long lasting. I'm still waiting for that. I did have it on day 6. That was a good day lol

@kerricraft I know you can stay strong! You'll be really upset if you worked this hard for ten days and licked some frosting. That frosting will not be worth it. Keep moving forward. We are 1/3 of the way there!! Eat a big meal before you start baking! I haven't had any cravings by eating way more than I normally would and I've lost inches! 

yesterdsy I ate:

B: leftover wonton in a bowl and blueberries

L: pan seared cod, asparagus in olive oil and squeezed lemon, potatoes with ghee 

D: grilled chicken thighs marinated in Paleo Leap's mustard balsamic, cauliflower rice from the Whole30 book. 

https://paleoleap.com/mustard-balsamic-baked-chicken/

the chicken and cauliflower were soooo good! I grilled instead of oven baked like the recipe.

have a great day!!!

I am glad to hear that this restless sleep is just not impacting me.  I took magnesium last night,  which seemed to help - I slept better but didn't wake up feeling refreshed.   I am glad I don't have cravings either.  1/3 of the way ... that's pretty good considering I didn't think I was going to make it past the headache stage.  

Thanks for sharing the balsamic chicken recipe will try it tonight.   

Enjoy your day ! 

DAY 10 !!  As many of us (and I'm sure so many others), I did not think that I would make it this far.  So proud and even more determined with each day to keep this commitment!  

Sleep was again interrupted (3am just for about 15 mins, then again @ 5:15am).  Maybe I'm going to bed too early?  but am so tired by 10pm...haven't tried the magnesium yet, but will try to pick some up tonight?  I have melatonin...anybody used that?

My energy level is quite up ... the only negative is that many posts and readings have reported clearer skin, but my skin feels even drier and my face is having a bit of a break out?  Maybe that is normal, I don't know?

@Ejanecek83, thanks for sharing the recipe here.  I am going to make it this weekend!  

Have a great day everyone!! :)

I'm sorry severalnof you are having sleep problems. That's the worst!  I'm sure you'll soon get to a point where you're sleeping like babies. I had some trouble the first few days but have been sleeping fine lately. In fact I think every night I'm having dreams that I accidentally/forgetfully eat something noncompliant. Last night I dreamed it was gum and a piece of hard candy. Haha!  I never even eat hard candy in real life!  

Everything has been going well for me but last night I realized I didn't have some ingredients I needed for a recipe, so I had to wing it & make a quick grocery run too. That stressed me out and reminded me that I can't let my planning slip!

Have a great day 11 tomorrow, everyone!  We're entering  the "second trimester" of the challenge now!

@Ejanecek83 Thanks for the moral support! I stayed true while baking the cakes, despite a few 'almost' licking a bowl or spoon without thinking about it, just out of habit. I wasn't tempted to eat it, I didn't WANT it like I normally would, so I just had to be quite conscious of the habitual moves.

@KelliKB I've been dreaming about non-compliant food, too! Last night it was pizza, the night before was hommus. Weird - I thought it was my sweet tooth that would niggle at me.

I've been taking magnesium to prevent nightly foot cramps since before I started W30 and I haven't had any trouble sleeping since starting, so maybe it is helping that, too?

@Chrissybell My skin seems unchanged - no better, no worse. Hang in there - maybe the changes you're seeing are part of the detox process. Glad you're getting the extra energy. It's interesting to read about how everyone's experience is slightly different.

I have been using Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea. Sleep not horrible, about par for me. 

Made Coconut Lime Chicken recipe from Pinterest - yummy. 

Meats and fruit still easier than veggies but making progress - pulled the food processor out and sliced up a variety of veggies for salad or to cook up. Having the prep done makes it easier. 

@KelliKB haha "second trimester"! 

I'm having dinner two hours later than normal. I was so focused on my computer working away. I hope that doesn't alter my sleep. I'm wide awake at 8:30pm and normally getting ready for bed.

i went to Whole Foods today and found compliant bacon! I've never found any before so I'm excited! There was only one package left. Must be popular with a "paleo" sticker on it lol the brand is Wellshire.

Archived