Round steak

JinTx

Is it top round or bottom round? I can't even believe i am responding to your post because I totally destroyed a top round in my slow cooker. However, I remember when I was whining about it here, someone knew exactly how I should have cooked it. Here is what they said to me.

"Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Top Round Roast is great for sliced roast beef, but I think the crock-pot is the wrong appliance for this cut of meat. I prefer to use a grill, but oven will also work.

Next time rub it with a simple herb and garlic rub, then grill roast, or use an oven, with a temperature of about 375F. Cook the roast to internal temperature of about 135F, the let roast rest for at least 30 minutes. Then here is the key for such a lean roast: you need slice as thinly as possible, preferably using a mechanical slicer. The thinner the slices, the more tender it will be.

Since you have already chopped it up, you could also now fry some of it with with onions, peppers and mushrooms and you'd have a cheeseless - cheesesteak! Served over a bed of baby spinach would make for a great dinner."

Slw, it is already cut into steaks. It is not a roast. All of my current ways to cook this cut are not w30 legal...or even paleo for that matter. I wonder if I could just throw em on the grill?

Oh..that is trickier. I guess you could try one? Here's a link to ehow. They get stuff right often. I love Google. :) I think your idea to grill may work according to them.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5256969_way-boneless-beef-round-steak.html

When I had a round steak I did not know what to do with I put it in my crock pot on top of quartered onions (2), large chopped carrots (3), 1/2 of a cabbage, 2 celery stalks cut up, a turnip and a parsnip. Put the meat on top. Added a can of chopped tomatoes and so\me beef stock or bone broth. I let it cook on low for 24 hours. It was the best beef soup I have ever made. I also added a bay leaf and some seasonings. Since it made a great deal I still have some in my freezer.

When I had a round steak I did not know what to do with I put it in my crock pot on top of quartered onions (2), large chopped carrots (3), 1/2 of a cabbage, 2 celery stalks cut up, a turnip and a parsnip. Put the meat on top. Added a can of chopped tomatoes and so\me beef stock or bone broth. I let it cook on low for 24 hours. It was the best beef soup I have ever made. I also added a bay leaf and some seasonings. Since it made a great deal I still have some in my freezer.

Nancy, I don't know where I went wrong,, but I did the same minus the extra veggies, but used broth and onions and it was an epic failure. I even started a thread about it. I may have to try it again. The price was SO good and I know it has possibilities. I cooked it on low for 8 hours. It was as stiff as a board and liverish. Go Susan! :) I don't think I've ever heard of cooking a roast in a slow cooker for 24 hours. Maybe that's where I went wrong.

JinTx - I also have a lot round steaks in my freezer from the grass fed steer we purchased earlier this fall.

The round steak is very lean and in my opinion too lean and tough to use on the grill. What I usually do with the round steak is too either slice it very thin and used in stir fries, curries, stroganoff and pre-paleo days I use the strips for cheesesteaks. Or, you can cube them small and use in chili or soup.

Another option is it mechanically tenderize the steak by using a Jaccard or similar device, and make Salisbury or Swiss steak.

In other words this cut of meat benefits from some sort of tenderizing and sauces.

These steaks, because they are so lean, are also excellent for making Jerky!

--eric

Archived