Apples - Something to pair with

Ashton Mc

I love apples and I especially love apple slices.  I love pairing them with cinnamon sugar, caramel, peanut butter, almond butter, cheese etc., all of which are not Whole30 compliant.  I'm looking for something to pair apples with, preferably something I can dip them in, that are Whole30 compliant.  Suggestions?

• Moderators

I just want to remind all that if you're wanting a snack (such as an apple with something dippable), this is not your best option.  Fruit is recommended to be eaten with a meal (not as a dessert) and not as a stand alone snack or sugar dragon soother.  If you're legitimately hungry, your best option is to eat fat and protein and ideally veggies...a  couple bites of each would do it... fruit, nuts, nut butters and dried fruits are not a great choice.

SugarcubeOD, I'm doing my best with what I have and since I love apples, I tend to have a lot of them around.  It's definitely a change I'm trying to make.  I liked the suggestion of pork chops with apples, so maybe I'll try that.  Most of my experience with cooking apples has actually been baking, so it'll be a learning experience for sure!

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Ashton Mc said:

SugarcubeOD, I'm doing my best with what I have and since I love apples, I tend to have a lot of them around.  It's definitely a change I'm trying to make.  I liked the suggestion of pork chops with apples, so maybe I'll try that.  Most of my experience with cooking apples has actually been baking, so it'll be a learning experience for sure!

Oh, I certainly wasn't implying you weren't doing your best... just a standard recommendation that bears repeating that fruit and nuts eaten on their own can cause trouble.

• Moderators

Well, it can sometimes be people feeding their sugar dragon.

In general, fruit by itself will spike your blood sugar potentially causing cravings down the road.  Also because we want to be eating every 4-5 hours and then giving ourselves a chance to digest and manage the food we ate... so eating an apple halfway through that means your digestive system needs to ramp up again.  Also because it can become a crutch. Also because if you are legitimately hungry enough to eat, we want you eating protein and fat and ideally veggies as a mini meal.  While apple and dipping sauce are delicious, in a well formed eating plan, there's not a lot of room for it if you're following the rules and the recommendations.

Now, that said, this is all just a recommendation, not a rule, so you're not breaking any rules... but the recommendations will help you get the most out of the program.

Shannon has a Breakfast thread that you should check out with great ideas and photos.

Fruit eaten with a meal doesn't cause any noticeable upticks in my blood sugar. ISWF makes the case for eating whole foods in whole forms.  Apples, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, broccoli, brussels, potatoes....and you can roast all of them together.  I would roast apples with vegetables, too.

I don't have digestive problems with fruits or nuts or vegetables or proteins or other fats. 

Here's the question.  Will avoiding fruits and nuts or certain vegetables or eggs for 30 days help you on Day 31.  If you have digestive problems or autoimmune disorders, start diagnostic testing  immediately on Day 31 - it will give really clear results of what should be eating going forward.

Without food allergies/sensitivites, once again, ask yourself if eliminating fruit and nuts or anything you don't like....for 30 days will help you on Day 31. Does dialing Whole 30 foods further down trigger a full blown food bender on Day 31 or does it help you.

Our mileage may always vary.  We choose and decide what will work for us for the long haul.  

This is my take, without digestive problems.  The narrower the eating the greater the risk of returning to non-whole foods that dig a much deeper hole.  Fruit and nuts and whole foods did not get me here.   

So going forward, eating fruit with a meal or nuts for a decoration aren't going to stir up the negative eating behaviors I created from eating highly engineered and manufactured foods.  Going forward, eating the widest variety of whole foods is superior to a narrow way of eating.  All proteins, vegetables, fruits, fats.  Eating a handful of nuts, here and there hasn't ruined anything for me.  But going back to armfuls of bread and boxes of cereal, that's a mule of a different color.     

I can manage whole foods.  

10 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you're open to suggestions other than dipping, I'd throw out there that apples can be diced and added to a salad -- like this one, or this one.  Or they can be included in a hash like this or this.

I was about to suggest this - we add apples to salad all the time, also will choose from jicama, raw thinly sliced squash (zucchini mostly), orange segments, berries of every variety, sliced pears and peaches, and a small sprinkle of nuts.

Mmmmmmmm.

Archived