Starting February 20

MargaretAM

Hello everyone, I'm Bonnie and my hubby and I are starting the 19th (tomorrow!). We just spent a fortune on this coming week's shopping. We're in Australia and have been Paleo before - pretty strictly for a while then we slacked off when we moved just over a year ago then I had the stress of finishing uni.

My hubby has Hashimoto's and I have a shopping list of health problems including fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, IBS and a genetic mutation (MTHFR) and we're both significantly overweight. I was advised to go gluten, dairy, sugar, alcohol, caffeine free by 2 different integrative doctors and Paleo was the easiest way to wrap my head around it all. We're empty nesters (yay me for just turning 50!) so we don't have to worry about kids complicating things for us. I'm unable to cook because of the fibro so I plan and Phil cooks. We have a stockpile of paleo recipes but previously included the treats that aren't allowed in the Whole30 - I'm quite a bit worried about sugar withdrawals for me. I'm so glad for the forum and daily emails for support.

We're doing the Whole30 for our health and for a bit of a cleanse; hopefully this will reset our Paleo diet and see if there are any food triggers aggravating our health issues. Here's to hoping it makes a positive impact on our health!

Good luck everyone!

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Margaret,

I started my planning a few weeks ago and am officially prepped to start tomorrow.  My start date was originally the 20th, but I'm excited and ready to start tomorrow.  All my food is bought, meal plan and info sheets printed, if/then planning complete.  My spouse and daughter won't be joining me, so the house is still full of temptations but I think I've got this.

I also do a lot of heavy lifting, alongside distance running and a lot of high intensity circuit workouts.  I love the gym!  It's a huge reason I'm taking on this whole 30- food is a big part of making gains in the gym right?! This is my first whole30 and I'm planning to include some "carby" vegetables to help fuel my workouts.  But I've been scouring the forum for specific info on this.

Hello, I am Shelly.  My husband and I are starting our 2nd Whole30 starting tomorrow (Sunday Feb 19th).  Our first Whole30 was very successful but we have slowly fallen away from all those good habits, so we both feel like we need to hit the restart button.  We are empty nesters, so we don't have to worry about feeding any kids, and the fact that we are doing this together makes it much easier to navigate.  I do 90% of the food prep and cooking anyway, so husband eats whatever I prepare.  I usually spend a good chunk of time on Sunday and Wednesday (my day off) cooking and prepping meals for the next several days.  Love my crock pot and now I have an Instant Pot pressure cooker too.  Good luck everyone!  

Well that was a horrifically expensive grocery shop! Hopefully the next few weeks will be a little easier on the bank account now that some of the pantry supplies are dealt with. But geez, this one hurt, and I didn't even get all the stuff I had planned to.

@katzlizz Sugar is such a hard addiction to kick, isn't it? I can't speak to their efficiency because I really haven't been exercising willpower - so much easier to give in - but chromium piccolinate is something my doctor recommended for carb (and therefore sugar) cravings and a friend recommended swirling a teaspoon of coconut oil around your mouth like mouthwash then spitting it out to deal with a sugar craving. I'll be using both!

@DotinTO I hear you! as expensive as a paleo menu with nut flours, nuts etc just on the veggies!

On 2/14/2017 at 0:40 PM, Lisa718 said:

JLS-I also have a little one (2 years old and a 7 year old ) so I am in the same boat as you! I also have no energy and need to lose about 60 pounds! My biggest worry is being able to keep up with all of the meal prep to stay Whole 30 compliant. Any easy recipes or ready to eat food you find...let me know! My go to's right now are yogurt and hummus which will both be off the table!!! Best of luck to you! WE CAN DO THIS! 

Hi! Meal prep has always been such an issue for me. Funny, I meal prep for my kids. (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and I would never leave the house to go somewhere without knowing exactly what I was going to be feeding my baby. (Of course I pack water, a bottle, food, snacks, etc.) But why can't I do this for my own nutrition and personal needs? I think it is just so easy to overlook yourself as a mom. This is going to be the hurdle - getting myself to meal plan!!!! :) I like this site for snacks and may consider ordering a few so I am not left to grab anything when tempted mid-day. http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30 - excited to start with you all! Jen

Hi everyone!

I'm starting February 19th! I did a Whole30 before back in November 2015 but since then have slowly fallen back into old habits - and with the old mindset, the old weight has been creeping back, too, and then some :/ 

Cravings, convenience, and social pressure can make it hard to keep up eating this way, but when I make the decision to stick to it, it's actually much easier than it sounds and so rewarding. I love feeling good about what I eat, and am really looking forward to this!

Hi,

I'm also starting tomorrow. It'll be my second Whole 30. I completed one round in 2015 & am now kicking myself that I didn't just carry on with the W30 way of eating as I felt so much better!

Well, can't look back, I guess!

I live in the U.K. so some of the food recommendations on the forum or in the books are harder for me to source. I'm just doing some meal planning now & then going off to the supermarket.

Good luck everyone!

Clare

I am starting today, 02/19. But I would love to join this group. Sunday was just a better day for me to start so I will have at least one day in before returning to work. I am basically doing this alone and look forward to work thru this life style change with all of you.

8 hours ago, Karen_S said:

I am starting today, 02/19. But I would love to join this group. Sunday was just a better day for me to start so I will have at least one day in before returning to work. I am basically doing this alone and look forward to work thru this life style change with all of you.

Karen, let us know how day 1 went!  You are awesome!

19 hours ago, JLS said:

Hi! Meal prep has always been such an issue for me. Funny, I meal prep for my kids. (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and I would never leave the house to go somewhere without knowing exactly what I was going to be feeding my baby. (Of course I pack water, a bottle, food, snacks, etc.) But why can't I do this for my own nutrition and personal needs? I think it is just so easy to overlook yourself as a mom. This is going to be the hurdle - getting myself to meal plan!!!! :) I like this site for snacks and may consider ordering a few so I am not left to grab anything when tempted mid-day. http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30 - excited to start with you all! Jen

Hi Jen:  Maybe one of the best things you will get out of doing this would be to learn to put yourself first sometimes.  Wouldn't that be cool!

On 2/18/2017 at 9:08 AM, ShellyM said:

Hello, I am Shelly.  My husband and I are starting our 2nd Whole30 starting tomorrow (Sunday Feb 19th).  Our first Whole30 was very successful but we have slowly fallen away from all those good habits, so we both feel like we need to hit the restart button.  We are empty nesters, so we don't have to worry about feeding any kids, and the fact that we are doing this together makes it much easier to navigate.  I do 90% of the food prep and cooking anyway, so husband eats whatever I prepare.  I usually spend a good chunk of time on Sunday and Wednesday (my day off) cooking and prepping meals for the next several days.  Love my crock pot and now I have an Instant Pot pressure cooker too.  Good luck everyone!  

Shelly I would love to hear how you use the pressure cooker.  I recently to one but haven't used it yet.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:35 AM, brandyontherun said:

Hi Margaret,

I started my planning a few weeks ago and am officially prepped to start tomorrow.  My start date was originally the 20th, but I'm excited and ready to start tomorrow.  All my food is bought, meal plan and info sheets printed, if/then planning complete.  My spouse and daughter won't be joining me, so the house is still full of temptations but I think I've got this.

I also do a lot of heavy lifting, alongside distance running and a lot of high intensity circuit workouts.  I love the gym!  It's a huge reason I'm taking on this whole 30- food is a big part of making gains in the gym right?! This is my first whole30 and I'm planning to include some "carby" vegetables to help fuel my workouts.  But I've been scouring the forum for specific info on this.

Hi Brandy:  SO inspired by you.  I will be heavy on sweet potatoes on my lifting days.  I actually already know I do best with sweet potato and turkey after lifting but that requires planning and it is so much easier to pick up a candy bar like protein bar.  I am psyched to see if this helps my working out.  

How was day 1?

4 hours ago, MargaretAM said:

Shelly I would love to hear how you use the pressure cooker.  I recently to one but haven't used it yet.

Today I used the instant pot today to steam a spaghetti  squash.

Here is the recipe: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/131794514903/pressure-cooker-spaghetti-squash (I like the spaghetti squash slightly crunchy so I cook for 6 minutes).

Tomorrow I am making chicken tikka masala 

http://todayindietzville.com/2016/04/instant-pot-chicken-tikka-masala-paleo-whole30-thm-s/

(I will try using coconut milk instead of coconut yogurt)

Hi!  I'm starting tomorrow too!  I haven't done meal prep yet, but will tomorrow.  I already know I'll have eggs with veggies for breakfast, and leftover steak and veggies for lunch.  I'll make something for breakfast the rest of the week tomorrow and my lunches and a couple of dinners. I'm single, so I'm used to eating the same thing for several days.  I look forward to going through this program with a group!

• Moderators
On 2/18/2017 at 9:35 AM, brandyontherun said:

Hi Margaret,

The meal template lists what regular meals should be, as well as pre- and post-workout meals. This article also has some information about what to have post-workout. 

Well, looks like I'm starting tomorrow after all - which was my original start date anyway. I jumped the gun saying I'd start today and didn't get a chance to do the prep I needed until tonight. So I guess I will actually fit in the Feb. 20 group. :)

Did my grocery shopping for the week and enough cooking to get me through tomorrow, and took my "pre" weight, measurements, and pics. So ready to start!

Archived