February 15th--Let's Do This

eatspinraverepeat

6 hours ago, eatspinraverepeat said:

Interesting, I never knew that about fat preventing protein uptake. I will have to look into it.

I will have to experiment with bringing breakfast to work with me as I only have time to eat one meal between workout and work.

Does not enough fat intake lead to dry mouth?

Thanks for your help here!

Not enough fat can lead to a dry mouth, dry lips etc., yes.

5 hours ago, Brensuma said:

Hormonal imbalance....like female part hormone? Sorry if I sound like an idiot. It wouldn't surprise me if I have an imbalance of any kind. Would explain the inability to lose weight, have no energy but tons of aches and pains. Still gonna plug along though 

The hormones surrounding appetite control & in turn weight loss - cortisol, leptin & grehlin primarily, but those have a knock on effect on others.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe we've made it to day 6! I'm most thankful for less cravings throughout the day which means mind and energy can go to other things!! If that is the only thing that comes out of this, I think it would be worth it for me. I'm just so tired of being ruled by my pull to eating when I'm not hungry. I'm also learning how to become more aware of  the emotions I feel throughout the day and face them rather than feed them with food. I do need to start cooking some new things, since so far I have basically been throwing prepared meats and roasted veggies in a pan with fat for every meal. Yesterday morning I made the frittata in the W30 book with ghee my husband made me....it was delicious!! I've appreciated reading your posts...they are very helpful to stay on track, just knowing that others are right there with me. Enjoy some more freedom today..it's worth it!

Yay, we have made it to Day 6. I have not had the strong sugar cravings since the other day and overall I'm feeling good. I'm a little foggy and yesterday I was dead tired all day, but definitely feel better today.  I am proud that I made it through the weekend. Weekends are always when I let myself indulge and have wine with dinner. 

I found a Whole30 pumpkin egg casserole recipe that I made and it's very good.  It was a nice change for breakfast this morning. 

I love reading everyone's posts too. It really does help keep us motivated.

So I'm actually feeling great - which is a little scary, since I feel like I should be at "kill all things" by now - but I'm having trouble sleeping. Really vivid dreams (not about food!) and just kind of a general restlessness. Anyone have any advice/thoughts? I'm not eating too late, I'm eating pretty balanced meals, I'm not hungry in between, and I'm drinking plenty of water. That's been my only complaint so far!

52 minutes ago, History&Pearls said:

So I'm actually feeling great - which is a little scary, since I feel like I should be at "kill all things" by now - but I'm having trouble sleeping. Really vivid dreams (not about food!) and just kind of a general restlessness. Anyone have any advice/thoughts? I'm not eating too late, I'm eating pretty balanced meals, I'm not hungry in between, and I'm drinking plenty of water. That's been my only complaint so far!

No advice but I have been having very vivid dreams too. I'm curious if others are as well...

Day 6!  Yeah!! I have not made it this far on an eating plan in I  can't tell you how long.  Very excited about that.  I did have a snack over the weekend while I was at the movie marathon of roasted almonds/coconut chips& dried apple slices(incredible!)  All compliant, but, we're not supposed to snack.  Much much better than indulging in popcorn, right?  Two of the 5 ladies had completed the whole 30 & it was so encouraging to hear how great they are feeling.  

That pumpkin casserole sounds awesome.  I'm going to look that up.  Getting slightly tired of eggs.  This AM, I had some chicken apple sausage w/spinach, roasted peppers, onions & sweet potatoes.  Man, was it good!  I'm also making bullet proof coffee in the mornings & I feel like I'm having cream in my coffee.  So yummy!

I have not had any vivid dreams.  Sleeping hard though.  

My brain fog is getting better and my arthritus in my thumb joints is SO MUCH BETTER.  I can't believe it.  My workouts have been strong.  I was expecting to not be able to work out as hard.  Anyone else think that was supposed to happen?

I too enjoy reading everyone's posts & tips.  Thanks!

I don't know the last time I've slept so well so many nights in a row, my hunch is that this is from cutting out all the added sugars. Going over to a friend's for dinner tonight, but he knows I'm on whole30 and I'm bringing a delicious-looking salad, so I'm not concerned about the food, but I am sad to miss out on the good wine! Oh well, there will be plenty of dinner parties in the future! I can't believe we're already at the end of day 6!

Woo hoo! I'm excited we are all so active on this thread. I enjoy checking in with everyone at the end of the day.

I did end up implementing a post-workout meal this morning, despite the fact it sounded unappetizing. Tuna + compliant mustard at 7 am was not as bad as it sounds. I am hoping this will solve my muscle soreness issue...and maybe I'll keep going up on my deadlifts.

Great day, again! I ate extra fat (~1.5 tbsp ghee) after dinner tonight to make sure I was satiated. it was a very stressful day at work, and I felt like mixing up an old favorite...but opted for a few baby spoonfuls of ghee. I feel plenty full now, so I won't be having any issues with being tempted by anything else. Onto day 7 soon. We have almost made it a week!

10 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

I find that I am restless/have trouble sleeping if I am very low carb. I would advise trying to implement starchy carbs in at least two of your meals tomorrow and see if it improves. Maybe one of the mods has advice too.

14 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

but I'm having trouble sleeping. Really vivid dreams (not about food!) and just kind of a general restlessness. Anyone have any advice/thoughts?

Are you taking a magnesium supplement? Magnesium acts as a muscle relaxant so it should help with any retslessness.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that including starchy veg at meal 3 also helps with sleep. IMO starches are best kept to meal 3 anyway (or postWO), so that would  be my recommendation regardless....!

Hope this helps :)

8 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Are you taking a magnesium supplement? Magnesium acts as a muscle relaxant so it should help with any retslessness.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that including starchy veg at meal 3 also helps with sleep. IMO starches are best kept to meal 3 anyway (or postWO), so that would  be my recommendation regardless....!

Hope this helps :)

I didn't know magnesium did that - or that it was a supplement I could take! I took some Benadryl last night for allergies and slept fine, so I think it may be a combo of the weather (come on, Memphis...) and changes in diet. I'll try magnesium, and I've generally been eating most of my starches at dinner, but I'll pay attention to that - thank you!

3 minutes ago, History&Pearls said:

Benadryl

Yeah, I'm guessing that contains some kind of sugar.

With the magnesium again read the labels - natural calm original is compliant, or you could go for a straight up magnesium citrate supplement, or a magnesium trans=dermal spray...

13 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Yeah, I'm guessing that contains some kind of sugar.

With the magnesium again read the labels - natural calm original is compliant, or you could go for a straight up magnesium citrate supplement, or a magnesium trans=dermal spray...

Here are the ingredients:

Ingredient Name
Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg

Ingredient Purpose
Antihistamine

Inactive Ingredients
carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, D&C red no. 27 aluminum lake, dibasic calcium phosphate, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, titanium dioxide

I don't know if any of that is sugar, but for me, personally (and I'm not advocating this at all to anyone else, I just know that I live in a city with an insane pollen count and I have serious allergies) the tiny trace of sugar I get from one benadryl is worth me being able to sleep without waking up choking on my own phlegm all night. 

Just now, jmcbn said:

Yeah, this is a sugar alcohol - just so as you know going forward...

Good to know - I did search a few other boards here, and the consensus was small amounts of sugar in medication - especially needed medication - was okay. It's 69 degrees in Memphis, in February, and it was 80 yesterday, so I'm honestly surprised we're not all sick, just sniffly!

OK. So I am feeling tired today! It has been the hardest day for me so far to not go to food to give me an extra "umph" of "energy". I just took a short nap. It felt fabulous. As I was laying down, I was reminding myself that I was taking care of my tiredness in a real, kind way rather than trying to fix it with sugar and caffeine. I am hopeful that this lack of energy will pass. I have had to be super intentional to NOT pick up those few pieces of whatever food is left on plates as I clean the kitchen or cookie crumbs on the counter after my daughter baked. I was concerned about being the only one in my family doing this and therefore still having lots of food in the house that I cannot eat, but it has been OK...a small miracle. It helps to know that i can't even take a taste. Hope you are all doing OK on day 7!! I made a chili today for lunch that hit the spot after eating mostly chicken and eggs as my protein. Keep going!!! I just read some more about people who have made it all the way through and it wasn't until about week three that they really started seeing/feeling the positive results!

Day 7 and I'm still trying to eat breakfast and get this 3 meal thing down. I feel better (at least did until I painted our bathroom yesterday. Sore muscles) than I have been so enjoying this woe so far. Waiting for the "kill all things" stage. I thought I would try to cut out my prescription sleeping med (want to get off all crappy med and try all natural/herbal) so didn't sleep good last night. If nothing else I like the clean eating and am looking forward to our garden this summer.

Glad everyone else is going strong yet!

Day 7, doing ok. Pretty tired today. Went on a day trip with a couple friends & we ate lunch very late. Hangry, for sure! But, I ordered my salad asking for more things to be taken off the salad, than on & balsamic vinegar & OO on the side with a grilled chicken breast.  

Can this way of eating help clear up allergies? I stopped taking my Sutafed when we started this & have noticed I'm not congested.  Could it be that something food related has been making me congested all these years?  

Glad to hear you all are doing well.:)

Ladies, can you believe we are one week into this? I had a good day today but my energy level is LOW. I cancelled on my trainer today (feel so guilty) and had to force myself to push my daughter in the stroller to our neighborhood park. I felt better after I got moving. I made a great dinner tonight from GreenChef (Grass-fed beef fajitas - their Paleo plan). It included a dressing that had agave in the ingredients so I left that off the cabbage salad. I still crave a glass of wine while I cook and prep dinner, I'm not sure if that will go away.

28 minutes ago, rgill said:

But, I ordered my salad asking for more things to be taken off the salad, than on & balsamic vinegar & OO on the side with a grilled chicken breast.

Way to go rgill!  I haven't been brave enough to eat out yet. 

4 hours ago, jboyd said:

I just read some more about people who have made it all the way through and it wasn't until about week three that they really started seeing/feeling the positive results!

Thanks jboyd, that helped reassure me. :)

If anyone has a good recipe they would like to share, please post because I am excited to try something new.

I have a feeling that I will be going to bed as soon as my daughter does...8:30.  zzzzzz

7 hours ago, jboyd said:

It helps to know that i can't even take a taste. 

I totally agree! It's really nice to never have to go back and forth on whether or not you should eat something bad for you...the answer is always no! :)

My day 7 went great. I do think I may be eating too much; however, today is my most active day of the week, and I worry about running out of energy. Lots of protein (I had a pre-workout mini-meal of about an ounce of ground turkey before my spin class + tuna post-workout in the morning + eggs at breakfast + good serving of ground turkey at lunch). I am listening to my hunger, but feel like I may be eating too much. We'll see if I have changes in the way my clothes fit.

I am so curious re: weight. I look at my scale and kinda wish I could step on it...I won't because it is against the rule; however, I have put more thought into how that number has an impact on me. If I could step on that scale, it would go one of two ways. 1) It would be lower than I expected, and I would feel good and motivated to continue OR 2) It would be higher than I expected/higher than I want it to be and feel discouraged and lose motivation. So I am happy that regarding the scale, the answer is a resounding "NO!"

Loving Whole30!

So I slept much better last night (yay!) but I kind of got knocked off my high horse of "this is amazing and easy and I feel great!" today. I skipped kill all the things, but I woke up this morning and felt...poofy. My pants are tighter (who am I kidding, I wore the loosest dress I own today), my face feels puffy, even my fingers are a little swollen. I don't feel bloated per se, just not nearly as good as the last 7 days. I didn't change what I was eating really at all - yesterday I had my normal breakfast plus an extra egg because I was hungry, for lunch I had a salad with lots of protein, and for dinner we had pork tenderloin, acorn squash, and roasted sweet potatoes. I ate a handful of almonds and an orange yesterday afternoon with my lunch, but didn't snack otherwise. I know this will pass, but man, it feels awful!

4 hours ago, History&Pearls said:

So I slept much better last night (yay!) but I kind of got knocked off my high horse of "this is amazing and easy and I feel great!" today. I skipped kill all the things, but I woke up this morning and felt...poofy. My pants are tighter (who am I kidding, I wore the loosest dress I own today), my face feels puffy, even my fingers are a little swollen. I don't feel bloated per se, just not nearly as good as the last 7 days. I didn't change what I was eating really at all - yesterday I had my normal breakfast plus an extra egg because I was hungry, for lunch I had a salad with lots of protein, and for dinner we had pork tenderloin, acorn squash, and roasted sweet potatoes. I ate a handful of almonds and an orange yesterday afternoon with my lunch, but didn't snack otherwise. I know this will pass, but man, it feels awful!

Hang in there History & Pearls! I've read this is normal. I was feeling that way day 5 & it was gone in a day.  Drink tons of water & keep us posted. 

Kmactx - do u have the whole 30 book? If so, the roasted pork with butternut squash, kale & tomotoes is great! I used a left over  tenderloin from the night before. Easy & yum!

Archived