Starting Febuary 12

gavin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for cohorts if anyone is starting or started on 2/12. I'm a bit anxious about how this will test my discipline... Reply to the thread if you are in my cohort, please. Let's cheer each other on to 'victory!'

Hi Gavin and Camille, I also have started today!! I've done other 30 day challenges so I'm not too worried. But I always had others at a gym who I did it with. This time it's just me that I know of! My husband isn't interested right now in it. He will eventually do it, just not this time around!

1 hour ago, Morgan013 said:

Hi everyone! I'm also starting on feb 12th. I'm a bit nervous since I'm addicted to sugar, so I feel like those sugar cravings are going to be tough.

morgan

Hey morgan, best of luck to you! Sugar can be the worst! I found it helpful to write down a list of reasons I am doing this , and keeping it close at hand. I will miss my Saturday night pizza and beer, but who knows if I will still miss them in a month. Cheers!

Hope everyone had a good start out of the gate :) I bought some balsamic vinegar only to bring it home and notice the caramel coloring added (/sigh). My personal salad dressing concoction left a bit to be desired leaving it out, but it was edible.

I also noted that my favorite local salsa has sugar as the second to last ingredient.  Guess I'll be making my own later this week.

Cheers and stay strong Fen12'rs

I will have to look at my Balsamic Vinegar that I bought now!  I went to make the basic mayo recipe yesterday only to realize that I didn't have Light Olive Oil.  I'm heading back to the store today to pick that up so that I can make the ranch dressing recipe to try for salads as well as a vinaigrette. 

I made the Ketchup recipe and it was great.  Today's lunch is leftover Shepherd's Pie and I plan on either having a salad or making chili tonight. 

Hey guys!

My and my wife started yesterday (12th). Let's see how this goes.

We have never done this before.

My wife is not super exited about changing her eating habits but we made a deal. She does the Whole30 and I join her in the gym.

Gavin, glad to find someone else that sous-vide. We sous-vide some salmon, chicken and eggs yesterday.

Good luck everybody!

Hello Everyone!

Hope everyone is having a good Monday so far!  I am also addicted to sugar, so I am nervous about that.  I am also nervous about constantly thinking about food and really hope that I am able to change my relationship with food.

I am curious, what is sous-vide?? 

Hopefully everyone is doing good so far! I realized that I can't get myself to drink coffee without my processed creamer. Tried both coconut milk and almond milk with some cinnamon, and I couldn't get it down. So I'm also going to be going through a caffeine withdrawal. Let's make this fun right?! I'm hoping to try coffee again next Monday and hopefully my sugar dragon will be tamed a bit.

Hi guys!

I started Round 2 on the 12th.  How is everyone feeling on Day 2?

Morgan, have you tried blending coconut oil and a little bit of cinnamon in your coffee? It doesn't mix very well if you just stir it, but if you put it in a blender it comes out pretty creamy and delicious! 

9 hours ago, Camillekeiser said:

I am curious, what is sous-vide?? 

It is a way of cooking things in a water bath. It keeps the water circulating and at a constant temperature. For example, I just put a couple steaks in a ziplock bags (make sure all the  air is displaced, vacuum sealed is ideal), added some salt and pepper, and dropped them in the bath set to 140 degrees. Will pull them out in about an hour and throw them on the grill to sear the outside. Makes for incredibly delicious, moist meat. Also, great for eggs.

Here is a link to read up a bit more on it.

I can't believe how obsessed I have been all day about this week's meals!!

Stay strong Feb12'rs :)

Hello all!  Steve here and I started my first Whole30 on Sunday Feb 12th as well. I'm here to support and get support. 

Was wondering if those of you who've done the challenge before found it helpful to track what you eat. In the past when I've committed to cleaning up my diet in other ways, I always turned to MyFitnessPal for 7-10 days and weigh, track everything. It's always a great way to reset. But if the experience with W30 is that you don't need to track, then that's good to know. Anything to lighten the effort. 

2 hours ago, sgdean said:

I always turned to MyFitnessPal for 7-10 days and weigh, track everything

Hi @sgdean & welcome to the forums :)

We'd encourage you not to track or weigh but rather listen to your body and learn from it's signals how much fuel it needs on a daily basis. Feel free to keep a log of food in the Your Whole 30 Log section of the forums though as it's often helpful for us to look back on if you come up against any issues such as lack of energy, headaches, gut disruption etc.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/21526-questions-and-concerns/

I'm a post whole digger dig in smiley and I dug this one up for you today. You don't have to track a cotton pickin' thing. You don't even have to create difficult meal plans that might be overwhelming right outta the chute. 

Good one on you, Gavin, for creating a group. Happy Valentine's Day to all. 

Thanks @MeadowLily! I figured I needed all the help I could get :)

@sgdean I, too, have used that app. It is great, but I would recommend skipping it, as mentioned already. My co-worker walked by me at lunch yesterday and was like 'damn, that's a big salad' cause I had a whole chopped up chicken breast on top a half pound of veggies. And I ate it all!! Worked out and went home and had dinner 6 hours later. No snacks, no looking back...

Stay strong Feb12r's

@sgdean  I'd also encourage you to stay away from tracking on MFP during your Whole30.  I was a habitual tracker and MFP addict before Whole 30.  It had always worked for me in the past and it was a big change for me to ditch it on this program, but I couldn't be more happy that I did.  One of the best things I gained from my first round on Whole30 was a healthier relationship with food, and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I'm not counting and tracking everything anymore.  It has completely changed the way I think about what I put in my body, and I feel a freedom that I never had before. If you can do it without the tracker I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results! :-)

@Morgan013 I'm glad it helped!  I'm drinking the grossest black coffee at work right now. Bleh!

Archived