Starting Febuary 12

gavin

@Morgan013 I am glad to hear the coffee turned out better today!  I hope you are able to get used to it with the coconut oil and cinnamon. 

@MeadowLily Thanks for sharing the post!  It has been a little overwhelming but I keep reminding myself to stick to the basics and not make things too complicated.

@sgdean Welcome to the group!  I am looking forward to have a healthy relationship with food and hopefully you will be able to find the same with Whole30.  It's definitely a mindset that I have never been in before, so I'm excited to see what happens.

@Joelle How is Round 2 going for you?  

I have to share a small victory for me.  A vendor brought in some 'treats' into our office today for Valentine's Day, which is usually such a tease for me and I always give in to my sugar dragon.  Not today!  It felt good to say 'no', especially since I am already feeling those cravings.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Camillekeiser great job at slaying the day 3 dragon!!

I noticed myself getting pretty grumpy this evening while shopping. I seem to recall day 4 and 5 labeled 'kill ALL the things' somewhere, so maybe I'm a bit ahead of schedule :) This too shall pass, this too shall pass.

Stay Strong!

Off to cook some veggies with chicken.

I realized today that I don't drink enough water. This has always been a challenge so I shall try harder to get those 55 thousand oz in.

I'm also having trouble being hungry at the end of the day. I might need to go to sleep earlier.

I'm ready to slay that Sugar Dragon. :ph34r:

I hope everybody has a great 4th day.

Hi Feb12'rs! And hello day 4.

Thanks for the ongoing support. Really great forum!

@jmcbn Love your suggestions. No tracking and instead…”listen to the body and learn from it’s signals.”

@gavin big salad! And no to snacks…very inspiring.

@joelle it’s great to hear how putting down tracking combined with W30 helped you develop a healthier relationship with food. Freedom is what I’m looking for here…

@Camillekeiser Feb 14 victory! Well done in slaying the sugar dragon…and on Valentine’s day!

My updates so far...

Headache came on yesterday evening but also felt I might be getting sick. Will pay closer attention to how much H2O I'm taking in. Half body weight in oz. is what I read on the forum. 

Narrowly avoided a reset yesterday. Cooked some ground chicken and had a can of Whole Foods 365 tomato sauce that I thought I'd add. Opened it. And just before pouring in, I thought, let me look at the ingredients. Honestly I never thought plain tomato sauce in a can would have . . . sugar! In the trash can it went but luckily had a can of 365 tomato paste. Whew!

This morning I totally re-invented oatmeal with cauliflower rice. (+ unsweetened coconut milk, banana, blueberries, almond butter, coconut flakes, raw cacao, cacao nibs, pecans). I kinda had to force it down. That's gonna take a lot of work to prep this right. I'll look for a recipe somewhere. Eew.  

Steve 

34 minutes ago, sgdean said:

This morning I totally re-invented oatmeal with cauliflower rice. (+ unsweetened coconut milk, banana, blueberries, almond butter, coconut flakes, raw cacao, cacao nibs, pecans). I kinda had to force it down. That's gonna take a lot of work to prep this right. I'll look for a recipe somewhere. Eew.  

Yeah, this is no bueno... Any kind of recreations of traditional breakfast foods like this are off limits. Think about each meal in terms of the template, bearing in mind that nuts & their by products are a fat for Whole30 purposes - so this dish is fairly fat heavy, and also lacking in any protein. Just for future reference cacao is fine only when used as a seasoning so think mocha rubbed steak etc.

It's not just about eating compliant foods - we're really trying to get you to re-train your brain here too to help develop that better relationship with food.....!! 

@Camillekeiser So far so good!  A bit tired, but good all things considered.  I quit nicotine gum when I did Round 1, and the nicotine withdrawal made the first two weeks absolute hell.  This Round is interesting for me because I get to see how much of what I experienced the first time was from quitting nicotine, and how much of it is from changing what I eat. Day 2-3 headache wasn't just from the nic, I guess!  Congrats on passing on the vendor treats!!!!

@gavin I had a bit of the grumpiness yesterday too, but I'm feeling fine today. I hope you are too!

@JPTator My hubby is along for the ride too!  How is yours enjoying it so far?  Mine loves the W30 food, but I'll admit I get a little jealous when I look over and see him drinking a gatorade or eating a sandwich, lol.

@bearandduck  I think going to sleep earlier is going to be my game plan for the next few days too. 

@sgdean I had a headache yesterday too. Hopefully yours is just part of adjusting to the program and you're not getting sick!

I made Paleo Skillet Fajitas last night and I just had leftovers for lunch.  (Recipe link here).  I like it better with compliant beef broth instead of veggie broth.  I think I'll have this in heavy rotation for meals!  Hope Day 4 is going great for everyone!

@Joelle yes, today is much better although I had a rough time sleeping. Insomnia is common for me and I'm hoping this can be reset through the whole 30.

I am amazed at how much I used to not think about food! The other night, I got home past 7pm and had to cut and cook my veggies (meat was from previous meal). In the past, I would have just grabbed a burrito or shawarma, not necessarily terrible, but it felt a lot better afterward having the home-cooked meal :)

I'm also realizing that the level of planning I did was too little, and this week has felt like I'm just trying to keep my head above the water and staying strict to my plan. I look forward to marathon sessions in the kitchen this weekend!

Stay strong all you Feb12'rs

@gavin I started to get pretty grumpy yesterday and it continued into today.  I woke up this morning feeling REALLY bad, but as the day went on, it got a little better.  I plan on staying in my own little corner when I can't be nice.   Planning is a tough thing.  So far this week, I have figured out having a couple of different meal options to throw together quickly and keep things interesting so that I don't get bored.  For dinner last night and this morning I had Whole30 chili with a little bit of Whole30 ranch dressing (which is DELICIOUS btw).  Tomorrow I'm putting spaghetti squash in the crock pot and will had ground chicken breast in tomato sauce.  

@bearandduck I am struggling with my water intake as well but am trying to get it in.  I get busy and forget.  What is the status of your sugar dragon??? Is it slated yet?  Mine definitely is not and the cravings are starting.  We will get through this!

@Joelle Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences and the recipe for fajitas-yum!!

@JPTator hope things are going well for with you husband somewhat along for the journey.  My boyfriend is supportive and will mostly eat what I make.  He did, however, eat peanut butter from the jar tonight!  He was nice enough to eat it in the kitchen.

@jmcbn And @MeadowLily Thanks for the encouragement for our group!  I need to really look at the meal template closer because I think I'm floundering a bit on that.  Baby steps toward a better me!

Still going strong and not as cranky tonight, hopefully I can get some good sleep though.

Sooooo, Friday is a team outing at work... taco bar and free beer. Pre-whole30, I would have gorged on both. But this time, I will be the guy with the special ordered sashimi platter and mineral water. Oh, and my camera ready to capture them making fools of themselves :)

Glad everyone is doing well so far!  Happy Day 5!

The planning part is tough!  I have to write out a meal plan for the week on Saturday or Sunday and leave it stuck to the fridge door to make sure I keep on schedule.  I try to keep extra chicken breast in the freezer so I have something to eat in case I mess up the plan and would otherwise starve.  Although, I can't quite figure out how to defrost chicken in the microwave without cooking it by accident!

@CamillekeiserDid you make the ranch dressing or buy it? 

@gavinWay to plan ahead for the Friday outing!  Enjoy the spectacle!

@jmcbn just wanted to touch on your oatmeal comment, can I have chia seed pudding in the morning with a piece of fruit and nut butter? (Ingredients:chia seeds, homemade almond milk, some of the "almond pulp" to add some fats to it, and cinnamon) Or is that similar to the "recreated meals?" Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Morgan013 said:

@jmcbn just wanted to touch on your oatmeal comment, can I have chia seed pudding in the morning with a piece of fruit and nut butter? (Ingredients:chia seeds, homemade almond milk, some of the "almond pulp" to add some fats to it, and cinnamon) Or is that similar to the "recreated meals?" Thanks!

Actually I just looked into it a bit more, I'll stop doing this and make something else with more protein. i was coming off of fiber 1 bars in the morning, so I switched to this to make sure I was getting my fiber in. I also love the texture of chia seeds! Lol. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Morgan013 said:

Or is that similar to the "recreated meals?"

There's your answer ;)

Again, think of each meal in terms of the template. Chia pudding is fat (chia) plus fat (nut butter) plus fat (almond milk) plus fruit.

The template is protein, fat & lots & lots of veggies, never letting fruit push the veg off of your plate.

Leave the chia pudding til after your 30 days...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Joelle said:

Although, I can't quite figure out how to defrost chicken in the microwave without cooking it by accident!

You can actually cook the frozen chicken breast without thawing it. Use the cooking instructions here (obviously, if you choose to put a sauce on it, make sure it's compliant, but you should be able to skip the sauce). You could probably use any recipe/instructions you'd normally use and just increase the time cooked, too. Use a meat thermometer to ensure it's cooked all the way through -- measure in the thickest part of the piece of chicken, not touching bone (or the pan) with the thermometer, and it needs to be 165 degrees to be done. In my experience, the chicken won't get browned doing it this way, so it's pretty sad looking, but it does get the job done. If you really want it to look brown, you could try letting it cook until it's done/just about done, and then turning the broiler on for a minute or two, but watch it closely as it's easy to burn things under the broiler.

Just now, Joelle said:

@ShannonM816You have just blown my mind.  :o I can't believe I never considered that I could cook it frozen! Thank you!!!!!! :D

And yeah, I've learned the hard way how easy it is to burn everything under the broiler, haha!

big smile2 smiley I didn't know you cook it frozen either. Shannon has a lorra, lorra good cooking tips.

Archived