Starting Febuary 12

gavin

Wow, I think I hit the sleepy stage early. I did 45 minutes of cardio this afternoon and it completely drained me. I got home and started cooking and realized I was grinding my sea salt with the cap on. It took me a bit to figure out why it wasn't coming out! Dazed and confused. Looking forward to tomorrow being over and a long weekend to sleep and cook.

Hope everyone is doing well :)

Stay strong!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol at the salt grinder incident!

So, I haven't had any Whole30 dreams, but my husband (who isn't doing W30) did! Last night he had a nightmare that I went off-plan. I was laughing about his dream and he said "It wasn't a dream, it was a nightmare. It was very stressful!" Hahaha.

I used coconut aminos for the first time last night and it was delicious.  I brought a bottle with me to a restaurant and used it instead of soy sauce with sashimi.  Yum!

Happy Friday!

@Joelle I made the ranch dressing.  I made the Whole30 basic mayo, which is then used with coconut cream and spices.  I was pleased with the results.  

Glad to see that everyone is doing well.  I'm sorta coming out of the 'kill all the things' phase and feel guilty for being pretty hateful at times.  I went to lunch today at a restaurant and stayed compliant!!  Little victories!

Hope everyone is staying strong :)

I had a victory today! I went to my team outing with the delicious taco bar and free flowing beer. Sadly, they screwed up my order and sent me nigiri and not sashimi. And not nearly enough :( I scraped off the fish and left the rice. And stayed with the team for all 5 hours, drinking 4 club sodas. As the crowd dwindled, they brought around some chips with salsa and guacamole. I literally wanted to stick my finger in the bowl, but I held back. I walked to the bus afterward so excited that I went the whole 5 hours without giving in... the place had 40 beers on tap! And I could have had any of them for free!!

Still going strong but definitely ready to sleep in tomorrow.

@gavin that is so exciting and I'm so proud of you!  When I went to lunch yesterday, it was a greasy spoon/fries everything sort of place that we always go to one Fridays and I resisted the 'hood fries' and steamed sandwiches without feeling deprived because of their delicious salad and me taking my own dressing.  What a great victory and it is such an awesome feeling and sort of a high to resist and stay strong!

Hope everyone successfully completed their first week. I am still going strong :)

@bearandduck I made some sous-vide egg bites this evening. I didn't have any little jars, but found 4 pint jars at the Goodwill. Mine are 3 eggs each, which is what I have been eating each breakfast anyhow. Can't wait to try them in the morning, I used fresh red pepper and non-dairy pesto.

Stay strong Feb12r's

Whew. That week was more challenging than I thought. But made it through. Was remarkable how many non-whole food items in my fridge and cupboard I'd think I can use this and then check the ingredients and into the trash it would go. Yeast extract. Who knew? Shows up in salsa.

Big goal this week is to do some cook-ahead meals so I can get more variety in. 

Hope everyone's doing well, staying strong. 

Is anyone having bad acid reflux? I've had it all my life, and took medicine for a little bit to help it, but throughout the years and food journals, I found out that yougurt calms it down for me. Anyone know of any other food that helps their acid reflux? I don't know how much longer I can go with the side effects of acid reflux. Thanks!

Made it another day. Last night was kinda awful, first time I gave into snack urges... but I stuck to a few spoons of almond butter. Really wanted some vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce to go with it! :) Felt kinda awful today knowing I let my guard down, but I made it to day 9 and now getting ready for bed, so day 10 is on its way.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong. This is not easy, but at the same time not hard. It might feel hard at times, but that is just relative. I'd trade a lifetime of ice cream if I knew everyone had enough food to eat and bed to sleep. I'd trade a lifetime of <fill in the blank> if <major issue in the world> was fixed. Think about it.

16 hours ago, Morgan013 said:

Is anyone having bad acid reflux? I've had it all my life, and took medicine for a little bit to help it, but throughout the years and food journals, I found out that yougurt calms it down for me. Anyone know of any other food that helps their acid reflux? I don't know how much longer I can go with the side effects of acid reflux. Thanks!

Maybe stay away from coffee & nuts, and try adding coconut cream to some dishes - it may ease symptoms in the same way as yoghurt. You may find that symptoms ease naturally anyway as the days go on.

Hey everybody! 

We are on day 11... One third is over! Congrats everybody!

In my end, everything is going gravy. Yesterday I started to think about stopping since our prep this weekend wasn't as good as last, but I came to my senses pretty quickly. I am still struggling with getting all the water down. I swear I've never drank this much water before in my life. I also think I need to eat more vegetables. 2-3 cups per serving is a crazy amount. I'm closer to 2 cups than 3. 

On the good news, I haven't gotten super hungry at night to need a snack. 

@gavin How did your sous vide eggs come out? I made this carnitas this week and they were AMAZING!!! I can't wait to get more pork shoulder and make more. Once they came out I served in kale wraps with onions in vinegar and green salsa.

Hi guys! Happy Day 11!

Things are going along swimmingly here too. I haven't been very hungry for lunch, but I am making sure I still eat it. I'm getting a little sick of broccoli and green beans.

@bearandduck No night snacking!  Nice!

I just discovered La Croix and I can't stop drinking them. And there are so many flavors! I was NOT a fan of sparkling water before Whole30, but I really dig it now.  Bearandduck, maybe trying flavored sparkling water would make it easier for you to get enough water in?

@bearandduck the egg bites were ok. I did not have the mini jars, used pints, and they were difficult to get out of the jars. And I think the hint of cream or cream cheese will do wonders for the flavor. Damn, those carnitas look good, I think I might give them a try, too. Thanks for the link.

I'm still strong after 11 days. No snacking, plenty of water, strict compliance. @Joelle I discovered La Croix recently, too! So good :)

I have found that I am just not that hungry. The meals I was making the first week, I would easily eat 12 ounces of steak with a whole heap of veggies. My portions are smaller this week, but I am not suffering from hunger pangs. Not sure if that is to be expected, but it works for me. My energy has been fair, definitely not tiger blood stage, yet.

Looking forward to some major cooking sessions this week. I feel like once the week starts, it gets overwhelming!

Stay strong all you Feb12r's and please check in so we know you are still in this!

Looks like everyone is doing great!  @Morgan013 I hope you are finding some relief from the acid reflux.

Things have been going well here.  We have had intensive training at work this week and I have not been able to eat meals that I made for myself or go home at lunch.  I was pretty stressed about it, but have been able to stick to the plan!  Whoop whoop!

I am not feeling deprived and actually am struggling to eat the recommended servings because it is just a lot of food!  I made mashed sweet potatoes to go with my leftover pulled pork and it was so good.  I don't know how to share the recipes though...help??

@gavin You know I tried the sous vie eggs with milk the week before I started the W30 and although they were more creamy what I think really makes them the best is to blend the eggs. This makes them fluffy and airy. And def try the carnitas. I'm currently making another batch.

@Joelle LOVE sparkling water! My favorite is Topochico. I could totally drink my whole intake of water with that but I'm trying to make myself drink just water. I would like to keep that habit out of this 30 days. Will see!

@Camillekeiser Congrats making it work with training! Now about posting recipes. Are you trying to post links? If so, just type the word that you would like to link to the recipe, then select it and click on the box that looks like two chain links on the bar on top of text editor box. A pop-up will show and you can put the link. The button looks like this. I hope that helps.

Hey guys! I wish you all the best! I'm moving forward with a slightly modified meal plan and adding plain Greek yogurt back into my diet to help with my acid reflux. I tried adding more coconut cream into my diet, and still no improvement. Why take medicine when I know what else works? Even in the short time, whole 30 has definitely helped with my sugar dragon, and eating healthier in general! So I've really enjoyed this experience even though it's been tough. Good luck to everyone and finish strong!

@Morgan013 Good luck to you! I'm sure the lessons you've learned will help :) 

I'm still staying strong, 14 days in. I've found my mood is much better consistently. I'm also not hungry between meals (at all). I've dialed back my portion sizes and still have plenty of energy. My mind no longer obsesses on what I am going to introduce first. Well, what I'm introducing second cause I am visiting a winery on day 35, so I'll be (hopefully) enjoying some red wine in 17 days. As for the rest, I look forward to making a science experiment of myself.

Hope everyone is doing great and staying strong! You can do this!!

Been meaning to check in. Getting easier and easier. I did the slow cooker pulled pork Sunday. Whoa! What a brilliant idea. No stressing over preparing food on the spot. Plenty for the week. Nice to add a little carnitas to my eggs in the morning. 

Hope everyone's doing well! 

I'm still here, who else has made it to Day 18!

@sgdean I agree, it is getting easier. I'm feeling more energy during my workout, noticed today I could have gone double time (if I didn't have to go back to work!)

Picked up some digestive enzymes to kick start my gut, as it seems to be a bit confused this past week. Only downside I'm feeling.

Stay strong all you Feb12r's that are still hanging in there :)

Happy Day 19th! 

Still going strong. Way less hungry. I think I'm finally loosing some weight. Pants are looser. The wife feels the same way. 

I can't believe we only have 11 days to go. We are definitely over the hump.

I hope you have a great end of the week.

Archived