Overeating vegetables??

Julia.S.D

I've started getting to the point where I will eat 2 whole bags of fresh or frozen vegetables, plus protein  (usually egg whites) and some avocado. This is clearly a ridiculous serving size but I just can't stop. Is this really bad?? It's definitely bad for my wallet, but I still feel so bad about myself after I finish even though we're not technically supposed to count calories.

Does anyone else have this problem? How can I start learning portion control better? 

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

How often are you eating @Julia.S.D? And what are your portions of fat & protein like? And what types of veg are we talking about?

I try eat 3 bigger meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) but I always snack in between, usually more veggies + 1/2 avocado, a banana, or some nuts. I'm not a very good sleeper, so I wake up super early (think 4.30 average....) and have breakfast right away. then i usually eat something again right before I go to work, almost like a second breakfast. Portion of protein is usually 1 chicken breast or the equivalent of 6 egg whites. The types of veggies are usually broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, red onions, brussel sprouts, various squash (butternut, acorn, spaghetti), sometimes sweet potato. 

I live alone, and I know I have issues with eating when I'm bored. But I think my mind thinks it's ok to eat huge portions of vegetables because they're "healthy". In this case is the no counting calories rule of Whole30 really apply? I feel like this is a bad habit I need to fix.

I'll let jmcbn/mods help you now.  I can't surmise what you're going through.  I share from my experience with binge eating and food addiction recovery.

I wouldn't worry one iota about the amount of vege you're eating. Do you know how many people are coached every day not to let the snacks shove the vege off of their plates.  Ooooo, boy. 

I want to tell you that eating unlimited vege is one of the key strategies I've used to stop myself from binge eating.  The binge eater is all about quantity and not quality.  Vegetables are usually the last thing a binge eater even thinks about.

Eating whole foods without limiting quantity. This is exactly the strategy I've used and I swear it broke all of the vicious binge eating cycles for me.

I ate like a king for an entire month. All healthy, non-trigger foods.  Don't worry about it. 

Honor your hunger.  Eventually your palate and satiety levels will balance themselves out. Embrace the healthy right out of this program.  Wring it and hang on tightly to the freedom of eating whole foods.

No measuring.

No counting.

No stressing over eating vegetables. They're a quality food that you can eat without worrying about quantity.  It's not going to hurt anything. Those vegetables have made all of the difference in the world for me.

During those 30 days,  would make an enormous salad and throw roasted vege on top with my proteins and my compliant dressing.  I ate a mixing bowl of vege.  It was freedom and fun.  It was mine, all mine.

No guilt.  Guess what happened.  Nothing but good things to this day.

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Why are you not eating the whole egg @Julia.S.D?

Can you list out a typical days worth of food, dividing it up into meals so that we can the kind of volume we're talking about? Liquid too, along with activity/exercise.

Egg whites was something I started before Whole30 as a calorie thing... too scared of the egg yolks I suppose.

Typical day:

Breakfast: 2 cups of spinach, 4-6 egg whites (i just buy the carton of egg whites and but don't measure exactly), 10 oz of frozen veggies (1 bag), 1/2 avocado, 1 banana 

Snack: apple

Lunch: spinach salad with 3/4 cup chicken breast, roasted broccoli, roasted squash, cabbage, red onion, ~1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 

Snack: lara bar or 1/2 avocado or 1/2 cup cashews

Dinner: 2 cups spinach, an entire bag of riced cauliflower cooked with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 avocado, some roasted squash, 2 slices turkey breast

Grazing/snacking the rest of the night: another apple and probably the equivalent of another 10 oz of veggies

43 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

I'll let jmcbn/mods help you now.  I can't surmise what you're going through.  I share from my experience with binge eating and food addiction recovery.

I wouldn't worry one iota about the amount of vege you're eating. Do you know how many people are coached every day not to let the snacks shove the vege off of their plates.  Ooooo, boy. 

I want to tell you that eating unlimited vege is one of the key strategies I've used to stop myself from binge eating.  The binge eater is all about quantity and not quality.  Vegetables are usually the last thing a binge eater even thinks about.

Eating whole foods without limiting quantity. This is exactly the strategy I've used and I swear it broke all of the vicious binge eating cycles for me.

I ate like a king for an entire month. All healthy, non-trigger foods.  Don't worry about it. 

Honor your hunger.  Eventually your palate and satiety levels will balance themselves out. Embrace the healthy right out of this program.  Wring it and hang on tightly to the freedom of eating whole foods.

No measuring.

No counting.

No stressing over eating vegetables. They're a quality food that you can eat without worrying about quantity.  It's not going to hurt anything. Those vegetables have made all of the difference in the world for me.

During those 30 days,  would make an enormous salad and throw roasted vege on top with my proteins and my compliant dressing.  I ate a mixing bowl of vege.  It was freedom and fun.  It was mine, all mine.

No guilt.  Guess what happened.  Nothing but good things to this day.

Wow... thank you. I actually can't tell you how much this response helped. I hate that food has such a control over me that I worry about the amount of good and whole foods I eat. But it's so nice to hear that others are doing the same thing and it's not bad. I do hope that my satiety levels will balance after a certain period of time, so I can continue to eat the same whole foods but not at such an extravagant amount, but still feel just as good.

Thank you!!

Ok, well the yolk is where all of the nutrients are at so I'd recommend you eat the whole egg. I think you'll find it more satiating/satisfying, and you'll be able to more accurately work out your portion size as a serving of eggs when they are your only protein would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. I'd probably suggest you ditch the banana at  breakfast as it may contribute to false hunger signals, making you reach for that mid morning apple...

Lunch looks better, but is definitely lacking in fat, which again will provide satiety which might help cut out the afternoon snack too.

Fruit is going to impact blood sugar, energy levels and appetite when eaten on it's own as a snack so we'd strongly recommend against it. Larabars really aren't much different. Nuts are hard to control in terms of portions. A closed handful would be a portion, and we'd recommend limiting them to every other day max - they can be hard on the digestive system, and are actually fairly inflammatory due to their high levels of omega 6 fatty acids. They're also pretty carby - again this could be contributing false hunger signals throughout the day/evening.

If you're genuinely hungry later in the evening maybe try something like a hard boiled egg, or some chicken & mayo. Protein & fat will be much more satiating & you'll be less inclined to over eat. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with eating vegetables, but I get the feeling you're eating out of habit rather than hunger. Do you knit/crochet/colour/craft? All these kinds of habits require clean hands and occupy the mind too, leaving you less likely to think about food.... Perhaps journalling your food will help you to see on paper what you are eating and you may have a better understanding of the volume...

Hope this helps.

I needed this thread so badly TODAY!! I have been caught up in eating fruit, dates, nuts, and Larabars...snacking all throughout the day even though I have read the book and knew I was going against the spirit of the Whole30. When I first started Whole30, I was so thrilled and empowered; I was thoroughly enjoying the whole thing. Then I started the dates and date/coconut balls from Earth Fare (technically compliant) and things just started unraveling without me even knowing it. I went out of town and off the Whole30 rails this weekend.  The last several days, I feel like I am literally starving all the time. Yesterday at my yearly physical, my doctor went over all my blood test results and informed me I am showing some pre-diabetic numbers. OMG!! He also told me to look up dates on the glycemic scale and get rid of them!  I have been reading a lot on the forum today and studying the meal template and getting reacquainted with the guidelines around fruit, nuts and snacking. I'm officially starting my Whole30 over today. I'm trying not to be bummed by this whole decline of authenticity with Whole30 after such a great start. I realize I have been just totally typical with sliding into finding ways to keep up old habits while telling myself I'm being compliant and "hey, it's still an improvement, right"....the "b*llshit story" I was telling myself that snuck up and got between me and my goal!! 

I will take the suggestions here by MeadowLily and jmcbn to get me back on track and help me through this feeling of being so damn hungry all the time.  I will not go back to being a sugar fiend and I WILL NOT lie down and become a diabetic. No effing way!!!!! 

Thanks, y'all!!

14 minutes ago, Cheryl Putman said:

Great job on bouncing back with good decisions!

That's what this forum is about, helping one another.  Cheryl, you've made my day. Binge eating causes diabetes. It starts long before a Whole 30.  It usually starts right after we leave the comfort of home and our Maw's good cooking.

I was on the dieting and binge eating rollercoaster for years until eventually, I had T2 diabetes.  I don't want anyone to wait until their relationship  with food is knocking up against the rocks. Big points for your bravery, Cheryl. You can create a solid plan and this is a great support system.  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Cheryl Putman said:

I needed this thread so badly TODAY!! I have been caught up in eating fruit, dates, nuts, and Larabars...snacking all throughout the day even though I have read the book and knew I was going against the spirit of the Whole30. When I first started Whole30, I was so thrilled and empowered; I was thoroughly enjoying the whole thing. Then I started the dates and date/coconut balls from Earth Fare (technically compliant) and things just started unraveling without me even knowing it. I went out of town and off the Whole30 rails this weekend.  The last several days, I feel like I am literally starving all the time. Yesterday at my yearly physical, my doctor went over all my blood test results and informed me I am showing some pre-diabetic numbers. OMG!! He also told me to look up dates on the glycemic scale and get rid of them!  I have been reading a lot on the forum today and studying the meal template and getting reacquainted with the guidelines around fruit, nuts and snacking. I'm officially starting my Whole30 over today. I'm trying not to be bummed by this whole decline of authenticity with Whole30 after such a great start. I realize I have been just totally typical with sliding into finding ways to keep up old habits while telling myself I'm being compliant and "hey, it's still an improvement, right"....the "b*llshit story" I was telling myself that snuck up and got between me and my goal!! 

I will take the suggestions here by MeadowLily and jmcbn to get me back on track and help me through this feeling of being so damn hungry all the time.  I will not go back to being a sugar fiend and I WILL NOT lie down and become a diabetic. No effing way!!!!! 

Thanks, y'all!!

I love all of this... not that you've backslid and old habits have made their home in your new eating plan but that you realized it, owned it and the bravery and courage it took to come here and tell us... I'm sure that your story will help others and your 'get it done' attitude of starting over and keeping going on this journey is really inspiring and great to hear!

If you want help with meals at any time in your 'do-over' feel free to start a new thread in troubleshooting and we'll help you keep things balanced and on track so that things don't unravel this time!  Take a good review of the meal template linked below as well.... it doesn't list snacks or dates or coconut balls (yum!) or anything... so if it doesn't fit in the template, maybe it's not for you for the next 30 days :)

Archived