coming off caffeine query

for this whole30 I am tapering off my caffeine consumption. I only had 1-2 cups a day but it was enough to affect my anxiety and sleep. 

I have switched to decaf in the early PM and the morning I just have a mix of caffeinated and decaf beans which I'm gradually decreasing. I'll then wean off decaf.

The headaches suck and I'm miserable as sin. I am also really missing the ritual part of it and how it starts my day (i.e. caffeine = feel happy, get stuff done). 

Can I just have some supportive words to keep me going?!

When was your last cup?  It does get better, and I'd imagine if your habit was only 1-2 it should get better quickly.  Drink plenty o' water, naturally ;)

I've nixed coffee for a month probably 3 times now.  And never was a "pot a day" person (and even less so since I switched to using an AeroPress, which I definitely recommend if you decide to go back to having some coffee in life).
But the ritual aspect you mention is definitely always the hardest for me.  I just straight up miss it.  I get enough sleep and am well fed, productive, etc., so I don't miss it for the "help me to function pleazzz" factor.

Maybe it's like how cigarette smokers have the whole thing around hitting the pack against their hand, the way they strike the lighter, etc.  We get these rituals wired in and it becomes a whole "thing" greater than the sum of the parts.

So, encouragement-wise, knowing that this ritual was built over time from simple repetition, you also have the ability to form new rituals.  Maybe you can start your day with a short time of practicing gratitude or mindfulness.  Those are states that can also help you feel happy and get stuff done.

4 minutes ago, kirkor said:

When was your last cup?  It does get better, and I'd imagine if your habit was only 1-2 it should get better quickly.  Drink plenty o' water, naturally ;)

I've nixed coffee for a month probably 3 times now.  And never was a "pot a day" person (and even less so since I switched to using an AeroPress, which I definitely recommend if you decide to go back to having some coffee in life).
But the ritual aspect you mention is definitely always the hardest for me.  I just straight up miss it.  I get enough sleep and am well fed, productive, etc., so I don't miss it for the "help me to function pleazzz" factor.

Maybe it's like how cigarette smokers have the whole thing around hitting the pack against their hand, the way they strike the lighter, etc.  We get these rituals wired in and it becomes a whole "thing" greater than the sum of the parts.

So, encouragement-wise, knowing that this ritual was built over time from simple repetition, you also have the ability to form new rituals.  Maybe you can start your day with a short time of practicing gratitude or mindfulness.  Those are states that can also help you feel happy and get stuff done.

full strength caffeine? Saturday morning. Good advice, thank you :)

For just over a week now I've been drinking decaf instead of normal coffee in the hope to fully come off it in the near future. However, since I've come off caffeine, my sleep has been worse?! I am waking several times a night. Nothing else has changed just my caffeine intake. Did anyone else experience this?

• Moderators

I've merged your posts as you started a thread about caffiene reduction less than five days ago and it is not necessary to start a new post everytime you want to talk about the same subject.. do you know how to find previous posts and reply to them?  We can help with that if need be.

As for whether others have experienced poor sleep when coming off caffiene, I couldn't say, but since it's happening to you, that means it's real. Try practicing good sleep hygiene while you're having this trouble... no blue light an hour before bed, dark, cool, quiet room to sleep in, no eating within a few hours of bed etc... there's plenty of sleep hygiene resources on the internet and a quick google search will get you lots of results and articles.

Make sure you're also drinking enough water and if you're not already, Natural Calm might be a good additive to your regimen as well.

FourSimpleWords, if you'll read back through your posts from previous years, you've given some brilliant advice to others how to come off caffeine. You know the way. Go back to 2014 and read forward to date.  All of the answers to your every question are there. You answered them and they are top notch.

I don't know what you're working on at this particular time but you've given great advice to others in the past. You absolutely know the way and the program. 

Archived